Ipodonut, worth the money?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ladyslug

I was wondering about these things myself. Would you get the same responsiveness from the scroll wheel with one of these "donuts" on it? Has anyone tried?

The website says that while it is sticker-like, the "silicon adhesive leaves no sticky residue." They look kind of nifty, if they work.

Havo

It has the same responsiveness. They only bad thing about it is that the adheisive eventually loses its stickiness and the donut comess off.

Pips

Website
www.eep.jperry.net
I need to get this, or something like it - I have a stain on the ipod wheel from nail polish remover that splashed ><; any other options?

Jules3

Just use a PDA screen protector. Cut it down to size, I just cut one into a square big enough to cover the wheel, and used my nail to crease around the edges. Has same responsiveness as without the cover.

Jules3

yeah, it would be clear. I guess ordering something would probably be the best for you. Unless you can find some place that has something like a PDA screen protector, or contact paper, without adhesive. I think any silicone thin plastic will do the trick

Pips

Website
www.eep.jperry.net
Jules3 said:
yeah, it would be clear. I guess ordering something would probably be the best for you. Unless you can find some place that has something like a PDA screen protector, or contact paper, without adhesive. I think any silicone thin plastic will do the trick
Yeah, I'll be keeping an eye out. Part of me wonders if it's not possible to print something sort of like a pda protecter o.o; the other part of me wonders how much my life would be worth if I killed my dad's printer.

Jules3

First of all: You need to deal with your printer issues with a professiona ;)

second: I bet you could but the printable tattos. They come perforated with a screen and wheel cutout, but they still get printed on. That way you KNOW it's ipod safe, and it will look awesome!

Pips

Website
www.eep.jperry.net
I think I may have found a yet cheaper way. Testing it yesturday, I could put a photo (as in photo someone had developed at the photo store, nothing special about it) and a pda screen protecter over the wheel, and still operate it perfectly. I measured the ipod wheel (2.625 inches, for those who care - translated to 189 pixels for me) and have started making designs on photoshop. I'll print them out on glossy paper, put it over the wheel, and then use one of the Trendy Geek things over it, to keep it in place. Viola, full protection for the entire front of the ipod, and a pretty (custom) wheel cover. I suppose if I really wanted to be suave and cool, I'd cut out the half inch circle for the button, but I'm too lazy =P

Locknut

I have the Aqua model on my Mini and it works just as it normally did. They are slightly adhesive, but I don't see any issues with residue They glow in the dark and are mostly opaque so it should cover the stain mentioned in a previous post (unless it is a really dark stain, I can still see the scroll wheel marking very faintly). With my iSkin I now feel the unit is protected to a decent degree from routine scrapes and bumps. They also were delivered quickly and seen well made...K

theyangster

Who am I?
Pips said:
I think I may have found a yet cheaper way. Testing it yesturday, I could put a photo (as in photo someone had developed at the photo store, nothing special about it) and a pda screen protecter over the wheel, and still operate it perfectly. I measured the ipod wheel (2.625 inches, for those who care - translated to 189 pixels for me) and have started making designs on photoshop. I'll print them out on glossy paper, put it over the wheel, and then use one of the Trendy Geek things over it, to keep it in place. Viola, full protection for the entire front of the ipod, and a pretty (custom) wheel cover. I suppose if I really wanted to be suave and cool, I'd cut out the half inch circle for the button, but I'm too lazy =P
I think I found an even cheaper way :)
I was slightly mad that hp didn't have printable tatoos for my mini.....so using a very good printer with some glossy paper, i printed a design from hp's website. I cutted the printed paper to fit my mini (got mini spec form apple). Then i used an X-acto knife to cut a hole so i could see the screen:D . Using some glue and scotch tape i glued the the lengthwise ends together, thus creating a sleeve to wrap around my mini, leaving the bottom and top of the ipod open. I can still use my clickwheel through the glossy paper.

Amazingly, i still can fit the the now covered ipod in the provided belt clip..

(sorry if it's confusing....i might post a tutorial once i get back from my trip)

Hope it helps:cool:

Pips

Website
www.eep.jperry.net
That sounds a lot like what I'm planning, minus the entire ipod being covered ;) I'll be trying mine today, hopefully, so maybe I'll post on how well it goes.

gerper

Why buy? Make your own!

I was able to make mine own by using a PDA screen protector.

1) Use a piece of thicker paper (I happened to use a magazine subscription card), and make a "template" of the circle on the IPOD.
2) Cut out the template, making sure that it fits exactly in the "donut" shape of the IPOD.
3) Trace the "donut" shape onto the BACK of the PDA screen saver sheet (the paper side, as the clear side can't be written on).
4) Cut out the "donut" shape out of the PDA screen saver material.
5) Once you get it to the exact size you want, CAREFULLY apply it to the IPOD. You may have to do this a couple of times to so that you don't accidently get dust or anything under the material.

Thats about it. I was able to buy a set of PDA screen protectors from a discontinued PDA model on clearance, that I use just for IPOD. I use these for the "donut" and the screen.

gerp