• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

iPod video tutorial for Windows Users

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

B. W.

iPod video tutorial

With the introduction of the new video enabled iPod, I thought I'd like to share this with people jumping on the iPod bandwagon (and we're going to get a lot of posts on the subject).

Update: Due to the introduction of the Videora iPod Converter, I am taking my article offline. You can view their tutorial here. Videos encoded with the older method will still work, and I will still provide as much support as possible to the community.

What does this mean?
Basicly, the good is there's a way to get full length movies on the iPod. The bad is, the movie has to be converted twice, which is a lengthy and quality draining process.

Unfortunately, there won't be a way to load a DVD in iTunes, and have it import effortlessly (unless Apple wants to go through the MPAA).

This also means that the iPod will have a shorter amount of battery life. Expect the device to die well before the advertised two hours of video playback time. The files we're using here are huge, and will keep the iPod's hard drive spinning for quite a while.

Last edited:

DeathtoToasters

arevee said:
Five lines from the top:

"This article is meant for Windows users.":D
I am slow....I did buy an iriver first and now have it on ebay. Once it sells....here comes the Ipod :)

aquatika

Sorry, but is this against forum policy ??

I know DVD Decrypter removes the encryption on DVD's. I also know that it has been clamped down on via legal means elsewhere on the net.

This is like posting links to software to remove the iTunes music DRM which IIRC people have been warned against in the past on this forum.

I'm no party pooper (I use this stuff myself) and it's a great post but this info is freely available on the net via google etc

Just wondered. :confused: sorry if I am wrong.

B. W.

aquatika said:
Sorry, but is this against forum policy ??

I know DVD Decrypter removes the encryption on DVD's. I also know that it has been clamped down on via legal means elsewhere on the net.

This is like posting links to software to remove the iTunes music DRM which IIRC people have been warned against in the past on this forum.

I'm no party pooper (I use this stuff myself) and it's a great post but this info is freely available on the net via google etc

Just wondered. :confused: sorry if I am wrong.
That's why I left the link out for DVD Decrypter at first. :confused: If it causes any problems with the moderators, by all means remove it.

Yes, this decrypting and encoding information can be found over the net, but none of it is geared towards use with the iPod directly (atleast yet).

Last edited:

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
Removing the DRM from music is generally done o you can share it more easily. Decrypting a DVD for this purpose shouldn't be a problem. Thanks a lot, Blankwire. About how big are the files?

B. W.

papayaninja said:
Removing the DRM from music is generally done o you can share it more easily. Decrypting a DVD for this purpose shouldn't be a problem. Thanks a lot, Blankwire. About how big are the files?
I'm just throwing a few file sizes around here:

8 Mile - 344 MB - 384 kbps
Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story - 202 MB - 256 kbps
Finding Nemo - 378 MB - 384 kbps

Overall, a movie shouldn't take up more than 400MB (since these files are the same resolution as the iPod's screen).

Last edited:

ipodphoto30

wow for a second i was thinking of buying the new video ipod i saved my money for, but thanks for the tutorial now i won't have to buy it, and just put this on my photo.

B. W.

Moht said:
What about Mac users... could you put up an equivalent tutorial?
I can't speak for Mac users, since I don't have a Mac.

However, there is a program called ffmpegX, which supposedly makes converting a lot easier.

EDIT:

GMacDaddyTPO said:
How much is the quality comprimised when done at 256Kbps?
You'll notice a lot more artifacts during playback, but I find it fine for watching TV episodes (I actually have all of Family Guy seaon 3 waiting to be imported).

The sad part is the iPod can support a much higher bit rate, but for some reason while I was modifying 3GP Converter, the flags I used had no improvement. It's stuck at 384. :mad:

Last edited:

penguin320

uh... does anyone maybe know if pspvideo 9 might work, cause my brother has a psp and there are already some movies that he converted. i don't have the new ipod yet, but my sister lost my old one so im planning on buying it. im just curious if psp video 9 will work. thanks