• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

iPod video tutorial for Mac

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jmelrose

As I wrote, Tux, I also use Handbrake for just about anything else. But LPCM audio tracks make Handbrake do funky things for some reason, so this Plan B works fine for people who maybe want to do music videos/concerts which are much better in headphones if ripped using the LPCM lossless audio track.

Additionally, because of the 160kps bug in Handbrake, if you want higher-quality audio than that, this Plan B also helps with that.

dspringer44

Video on iPod

1st of all I'm at work so I don't know the complete answers to this but heres the best I can do.

FFMpegX works great to convert videos to iPod - try using the PSP setting, it will name it something strange MV plus some #'s.mp4 but it should work. You can rename it after it's done. I've found it takes about 3X the length of the clip on my G3.

To keep widescreen movies widescreen - you need to take the original aspect ratio and convert it to the new ratio
example - you have a movie that is 720X405 when you rip it
I believe FFMpegX will set it at 320X240 on the PSP setting - but that isn't what the original was at, the top and bottom will be stretched, instead take 720 divide it by 320 (which is 2.25) and divide 405 by that to get 180 - then go to the video settings tab in FFMpegX and set the aspect ratio to 320X180. The final thing you probably have to do is set your iPod settings to widescreen - something you'll have to find by yourself. I also find I like to change the audio settings - use your personal preferences.

1.) rip your movie
2) find out the screen size in the summary tab in ffmpegx
3) take the 1st number (width) and divide it by 320
4)take the second movie size number (height) and divide it by the 1st ratio number (ex 720/320 - 2.25)
5) change the final movie size in the video tab
6) set your iPod to widescreen - voila

I haven't always gotten ffmpegx to work on videos, but now that it does it works great - perhaps you need to check if it works with your system software, earlier versions don't seem to work with the latest OS X - I also have the quicktime mpeg-2 component loaded.

Somebody else posted mpeg streamclip - it's up to version 1.5.1 and it now should convert to mpeg-4 as well but you do need the QT mpeg-2 component to read DVD files and I haven't tried converting anything with it yet. You can set in and out points with it and convert things to a bunch of different formats - it will read all the TS files from a DVD at once.

Hope this helps - happy podding.

-Dan

dspringer44

Oh - 1 more thing. The iPod screen is 320X240 - if your movie is larger than that your iPod will have to work harder to show it to you (i.e. more battery usage) so if you want to use it with a tv you might want two copies - 1 for the iPod (320X240) and 1 for TV (which doesn't have to be really any bigger than 512X384).

-Dan

kajGuy

okay i have had my vpod for a 3 or 4 weeks.
I have been reading the forms, downloading programs. do everything that your supposed to do.
i ripped three dvd's using handbrake. i encode them using ffmpeg.
It still says that it cant be uploaded to ipod. ARG.
i dont know what i am doing wrong. even when i try to export it to ipod format in quicktime. it freezes at about 5 percent.

s14_maniac

B. W. said:
Alternatively, you could use a program called HandBrake. EDIT: I stand corrected. Thanks morganw. Handbrake will not work, without some compiling.

Either application should get the job done.

It's times like this I really wish I had a Mac.. *Sigh* :(
what comiling is required?
what is compiling?
thanks

s14_maniac - Handbrake has since been updated. If you have a specific question about something then post the question.

Last edited:

jasehorner

MPEG STREAMCLIP

just tryed this for encoding

alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html

it rocks! way better than the ones in ilounges guide....it demuxes mpeg1 with the audio into the mp4...took me a while to work that one out...

j

RavenG4

The how to posted is pretty good. I actually prefer using Mac the Ripper first though and rip it to a spare drive. Because encoding off a DVD is VERY Slow. Encoding off a drive is much faster.

islndsteve

I have a Handbrake queston...iLounge has a great tutorial as to how to use it, but when it talks about the video paneil thay totally skip the file size box...has anyone ever changed it? When I did my first dvd to mp4, it was 700 MB, will I get the same quality if I change the file size box???
Amyone know?

thanxs

If you change the size you can end up with a video that will not transfer to the iPod. If the movie/video is outside of the specs then it won't transfer or it will and won't play on the iPod.

kgirlsbug

What am I doing wrong? I cannot get Handbrake to encode above 8 fps..but it usually hangs out at around 2 fps.

Thanks

jessica.

Re: ipod video tutorial for mac

blick2000 said:
The software instructs you to download 3 other files. Uncompress them and place them in a good spot (documents ect). Then use the locate button to select each of them.
I got here and then the page I was told to go to confused the heck out of me. Can anyone break that down for me in simple terms? It was all talking about binary and then it never had a link that just let me download those three other files.

/lost.

Cobybos

Handbrake to iPod without further conversion

For all of those who are having trouble with your .mp4 files, after ripping a dvd to my computer I changed the extension to .m4v and it transferred easily.

jessica.

Re: Handbrake to iPod without further conversion

**edit: it all comes down to the 2nd pass encoding I believe. After taking that off and checking my screem res, all is VERY WELL!! I am VERY excited and very thankful for the help I got here!**

Cobybos said:
For all of those who are having trouble with your .mp4 files, after ripping a dvd to my computer I changed the extension to .m4v and it transferred easily.
I tried that and did not have any success.
Here are my handbrake settings:
Code:
BPS 400, I have BPS 500, they said don't go above like 700 or something. Anyway, someone said change the extension to m4v so I am trying that now. 
All other settings are the same. 

Source: (file is on my desktop)
Title: 3 etc (chapter 3

Video: 
Framerate - Same as source
Encoder - x264 Baseline
Quality:
Average bitrate 500
Grayscale encoding OFF
2-pass encoding ON (per ilounge tutorial)

Destination:
MP4 File
Codecs MPEG-4 Video / AAC Audio
File: not important but FG1-3.mp4

Language: English

Audio:
Language 1 English ACE 2ch
Language 2: none
Sample rate 44100
KBPS: 128

Under picture settings
W: 320
H: 240

Keep Aspect Ratio ON

Crop AUTO

nothing else is checked. 

The only thing I am changing now is the 2-pass enoding.

As of right now, those settings above were used for chapters 1 and 2. No dice on getting them to the ipod. They are in itunes though.  I am taking off 2 pass encoding and trying that.  I'll know in about an hour.  Should it take that long?  One hour for a 22min show?

Last edited:

xaggie

I've ripped a few movies on Handbrake and had sucess. I tried Green Day's DVD, but got a very loud hiss through the recording, couldn't hear the singing. Do the settings need to be diff for concerts movies or is this disk copy protected?

jmelrose

The Green Day DVD is likely recorded in PCM audio. (This is linear, uncompressed audio.) Handbrake has issues with it. You may have better luck with other methods. MPEG Streamclip did a good job for me, although I had to make the DVD into an MPEG-2 file first.

A program called "Cinematize" is what I have been using since they added a DVD-->iPod export function. However, it needs a LOT of disk space. Cinematize will not work with encrypted DVDs either, so they have to be ripped and decrypted with a program such as MactheRipper.