• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

iPod video tutorial for Mac

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

blick2000

Mini Killer (beware)
ipod video tutorial for mac

This is a tutorial explaining how to convert your mov mpeg ect. files to ipod compatiably h.264 on a mac. I discovered that quicktime pro cuts out the sound track of some of my movies. This method is free and does not have that problem.

theory why some videos wont work: Perhaps ffmpegX will not convert framerates from 25 to 29.97 fps. I'm just leaving the framerates the same and hoping they will work.

http://www.3ivx.com/download/macos.html

The software to use is ffmpegX which is pretty amazing.

Download it here:
http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

The software instructs you to download 3 other files. Uncompress them and place them in a good spot (documents ect). Then use the locate button to select each of them.

Fire up ffmpegX and select your movie in the top box. Select your destination in the box below it. I like to add an = sign next to ipod encoded movies.

Select mp4 h.264 in the to field.

Click video and make the dimensions 320 x 240

You can change the sound bitrate to a higher level or try a diffrent encoding, but what I think I used here is fine.

Click encode and start waiting!

After it encodes in FF you need to encode it again using qt pro. Open up the ffed file and export it to ipod. This seems really roundabout, but it will work until someone makes a just for ipod conversion software.

(I dont have my pod yet to make sure this works but the settings match apple's requirements)

Another way to convert movies is to use quicktime pro. Use a program like Audio Hijack by rouge amoeba to record the sound to the video clip. Open up the sound recording in quicktime and do "select all" "Copy" then click on the video clip. Select add to movie. You may have to move and trim the sound clip untill it is in sych with the video. It may sound a little echoy because you have the original sound track and the added soundtrack, but that will go away when you export because the original soundtrack goes away. Then use the export to ipod. For some reason quicktime does not convert and detect muxed audio, so this method adds a audio track for qt to detect and convert.

Post comments or question and I will try to improve this!

Edit: fixed picture links.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. W.

Alternatively, you could use a program called HandBrake. EDIT: I stand corrected. Thanks morganw. Handbrake will not work, without some compiling.

Either application should get the job done.

It's times like this I really wish I had a Mac.. *Sigh* :(

Last edited:

Maxman

Don't Call Me Fat, Jon...
I know honestly... So mac users only have to use one program and we have to use 4 or so different programs. And ours can take a few hours.

BTW, correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't read the stuff in much detail.

Last edited:

Moht

Using OSX 10.4.2 I've had no success with either ffmpegx (it just says it's complete instantly but never makes the new video file) nor HandBrake (it's never able to detect a valid title from dvd's, dvd images or dvd folders on the hard drive).

It's driving me mad!!!!

blick2000

Mini Killer (beware)
whoops! The second picture is inncorrect! Underr framerate it should show "NTSC 29.95" not 30.

Another way to convert movies is to use quicktime pro. Use a program like Audio Hijack by rouge amoeba to record the sound to the video clip. Open up the sound recording in quicktime and do "select all" "Copy" then click on the video clip. Select add to movie. You may have to move and trim the sound clip untill it is in sych with the video. It may sound a little echoy because you have the original sound track and the added soundtrack, but that will go away when you export because the original soundtrack goes away. Then use the export to ipod. For some reason quicktime does not convert and detect muxed audio, so this method adds a audio track for qt to detect and convert.

Last edited:

andy206uk

Website
www.ipodx.co.uk
strange... i downloaded handbrake and it works a charm (as does ffmpeg). Handbrake lets you crop films to fit rather than stretching them and messing up the ratio which I think is great.

Perhaps you guys are doing something wrong.

Moht

Obviously.... but what! The forums for both programs are almost never updated- the general vibe seems to be that OSX 10.4 may be the problem?

andy206uk

Website
www.ipodx.co.uk
I doubt its related to 10.4 as that's what I use on my computer here and it's working fine. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the problem as I'm not a video expert. Are you using a normal out of the box mac setup or do you have any custom dvd drives in the machine?

(I've done my ripping on a 1.2ghz 12" iBook and a 1.4ghz Mac mini).

In handbrake I do the following:

+ launch handbrake
+ select 'detected volume' from the menu that appears when it loads (shows /dev/rdisk1)
+ click open (it scans the disk)
+ select the longest title from the drop down (the longest is usually the movie)
+ select mp4 as file type (top right)
+ from codecs select 'mpeg-4 video / AAC Audio '
+ click picture settings (bottom right)
+ untick 'keep aspect ratio'
+ select width & height to 320 x 240 (ipod resolution)
+ (if you prefer a nonsquished view you can use the crop feature & leave aspect ratio ticked)
+ hit 'close'
+ hit 'rip'
+ wait for ages while handbrake rips the movie.

That should be it...

Moht

Thanks Andy- I was doing all that but now you've put it in writing it's decided to start working!

Maybe installing the extra components with FFMPEG helped? I dunno, it's got me confused but seems to work now (handbrake, that is).

andy206uk

Website
www.ipodx.co.uk
The Young Ones? (as in the bbc comedy staring ade edmunson and rik mayal?) That kicks ###! (but not as much as Bottom!). I'm a big fan of Rik, in fact I live in the same town as his parents. Strangely I was ripping Drop Dead Fred just yesterday :)

TheDarkness

Yeah, but you don't wanna do that. It takes forever in QTpro, even for 23 mins of animation.. Try iPSP, or any of the other encoders aimed at the PSP on the mac audience.. Works fast and looks better then QTpro on the ipod.. I like iPSP the best but they all should work...

jmelrose

Handbrake: HQ Encode lies in...

Hi everyone. I've been monitoring these discussions on Handbrake, and as a Mac user I will tell you I was VERY unhappy when the 3 seasons of Family Guy, 3 seasons of the Simpsons, my U2 and Depeche Mode video collections, and various other short videos from DVD. A week's plus worth of work... worthless.

I tried QT Pro. SLOW. I tried Cinematize. SLOW. Handbrake was the only one able to take on the task. However, H264 doesn't work, and I didn't like what I as getting from the same "Target Size" setting in MP4.

On a lark, I tried "Constant Quality" and set it to 85%.
I put AAC to 48000Hz 112 kbps
I reduced the picture to 320x240.

After anxiously awaiting, what came out was a video of similar size to what I was trying before, but for some reason a much better encode. Fewer artifacts, truer color than MP4 using Target Size or Avg. Bitrate. Similar filesize as MP4 or H264. Some were even a bit smaller.

I'm not too big a snob on picture quality, but I want it good. This certainly qualifies, and the file size is reasonable. I do also recommend using Mac the Ripper to rip the DVD to your HD before encoding, as I was getting 35 fps on my Powerbook 1.5 w 1GB RAM, which was 15% better than off the DVD.

I hope that helps. Eventually I'mm sure an H264 method will become just as simple, but in the meantime this works great for me. I hope it helps someone else out there too. Mac users, only need apply for this method.

JMelrose

jmelrose

I started a post... probably should have put it here, sorry, but anyway it's called HQ Handbrake encode... something something. Anyway, Information is there, no QT pro is needed.