iPod Touch Wifi Problem

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

L33tG4m3r

iPod, therefore I am
I bought an 8GB 2nd-gen Touch yesterday, and I really love it. It is loaded with the 2.1 (latest) firmware and I have a problem accessing WiFi.
Wireless works well for me, but when I turn off WiFi to save power and put it to Sleep, I turn the iPod and WiFI on again to use it, it detects my network and its settings but the connection bars beside the "iPod" text on the top-left does not appear. It says I am connected, and there is a tick besides my network but there is no way to access the Internet.
The only solution I have so far is to power off (not sleep) the iPod and turn it on again while the antenna is set to On.

Is there any other way I can fix this? I don't want to have WiFi on all the time because I hear it drains the battery but I don't want to have to Power Off/On the iPod every time I want to reconnect my internets.

Thanks in advance,
CM

mini_me2

1/8th the size!
I believe this is a common problem, and so far there is no workaround other than what you're already doing. Here's hoping Apple fixes this soon!

davea

L33tG4m3r said:
I bought an 8GB 2nd-gen Touch yesterday, and I really love it. It is loaded with the 2.1 (latest) firmware and I have a problem accessing WiFi.
Wireless works well for me, but when I turn off WiFi to save power and put it to Sleep, I turn the iPod and WiFI on again to use it, it detects my network and its settings but the connection bars beside the "iPod" text on the top-left does not appear. It says I am connected, and there is a tick besides my network but there is no way to access the Internet.
The only solution I have so far is to power off (not sleep) the iPod and turn it on again while the antenna is set to On.

Is there any other way I can fix this? I don't want to have WiFi on all the time because I hear it drains the battery but I don't want to have to Power Off/On the iPod every time I want to reconnect my internets.

Thanks in advance,
CM
If you don't want to do the "on/off/on" trick with wifi, then leave wifi "on" and turn the Touch "off". next time you start it the wifi will connect automatically. This problem is very common. I've used 3 Touchs and they all act the same as far as the wifi goes.

JF10

Yep, my touch does this as well. I hope there's a fix in the works, as I like to turn wi-fi off whenever I'm not accessing the app store or facebook/myspace from my iPod touch. It saves power, but having to re-power the iPod each time I re-enable wi-fi is more than slightly annoying.

AdrianW

I use a different workaround - my wi-fi router has 2 networks (the normal one and a "guest" one - the guest network I use for my kids' DS consoles and they can get to the internet only).

Anyway, I wait until the checkmark appears next to the network name (in wi-fi settings) then I attempt to connect to the secondary network (I'm sure it will work if you attempt to connect to any other wi-fi network that happens to be in range) - by entering in a wrong password and clicking "done", after it fails to connect, I click "cancel" and immediately my preferred network becomes active - this procedure sounds complicated, but it takes all of around 5 seconds - much quicker than cold booting the touch.

davea

My Touch 2G boots in 18 seconds. I've no issue with that and by doing that I know the Touch will get online automatically w/o me going into the wifi menu.

tonepod

AdrianW said:
I use a different workaround - my wi-fi router has 2 networks (the normal one and a "guest" one - the guest network I use for my kids' DS consoles and they can get to the internet only).

Anyway, I wait until the checkmark appears next to the network name (in wi-fi settings) then I attempt to connect to the secondary network (I'm sure it will work if you attempt to connect to any other wi-fi network that happens to be in range) - by entering in a wrong password and clicking "done", after it fails to connect, I click "cancel" and immediately my preferred network becomes active - this procedure sounds complicated, but it takes all of around 5 seconds - much quicker than cold booting the touch.
Actually, turning off and then turning WiFi back on does the trick pretty much almost every time...at least it does in my case.

AdrianW

tonepod said:
Actually, turning off and then turning WiFi back on does the trick pretty much almost every time...at least it does in my case.
I think the reconnect issue only happens with certain access points/routers.

Perhaps the next firmware upgrade will fix the problem.

kinosama

I am having the exact same problem on my new 2G 16GB Touch. I upgraded to 2.1.1 as soon as I got it out of the box.

My old 1G Touch NEVER gave me any WiFi problem, and I think it was on 2.1. I assume this is a 2G only issue.

bigmutt

help, my iTouch won't do WiFi

My "new" iTouch 32GB worked fine on WiFi when I first got it and used it initially for 3 weeks in my friend's home, with their wifi signal.

But then when I returned to MY home and MY wifi wireless router, it won't access the internet at all. It does recognize and connect to my router but when I enter the Security Key (WPA) where the iTouch asks for "Password", it gives me the "Unable to Join the Network" message.
(My 1st Gen iTouch worked perfectly with my wireless router.)

I've tried everything during the past 2 weeks and cannot find the solution.

And iLounge (unbelievably) has no tutorial on WiFi, which I find strange since a huge number of inquiries on this and other iTouch forums are about WiFi connecting.

Does anyone have a suggestion? This iTouch is almost useless to me without the WiFi feature. (I don't have music or video on it, because of all the money I've wasted at Apple on downloads that later just got lost or wouldn't function.)

Thanks.

drone66

bigmutt said:
My "new" iTouch 32GB worked fine on WiFi when I first got it and used it initially for 3 weeks in my friend's home, with their wifi signal.

But then when I returned to MY home and MY wifi wireless router, it won't access the internet at all. It does recognize and connect to my router but when I enter the Security Key (WPA) where the iTouch asks for "Password", it gives me the "Unable to Join the Network" message.
(My 1st Gen iTouch worked perfectly with my wireless router.)

I've tried everything during the past 2 weeks and cannot find the solution.

And iLounge (unbelievably) has no tutorial on WiFi, which I find strange since a huge number of inquiries on this and other iTouch forums are about WiFi connecting.

Does anyone have a suggestion? This iTouch is almost useless to me without the WiFi feature. (I don't have music or video on it, because of all the money I've wasted at Apple on downloads that later just got lost or wouldn't function.)

Thanks.
Many 2nd gen owners are having the same problem. What brand is your router?