iPod Touch Voice Control Broken As Hell!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

PetiePal

So I bit the bullet and upgraded my iPod Touch last month on a good sale opportunity. 6th gen 128GB iPod Touch. Set up was easy. Got a lightning and 3.5 audio out dongle so it works fine with my Aux in in the car.

Hit a few snags with the music app, because it kinda sucks now, and they lean heavy into Apple Music and streaming media etc. Get a few third party apps that work fine like my older iPod used to.

I come to find Siri is basically useless because it requires an internet connection to do ANYTHING even really basic items like playing an artist or playlist by title. I research you can turn Siri off and revert to the older Voice Control which is how I used to do the basics on my older model.

Except Voice Control seems broken as hell. It can't:

-Play a song
-Play an artist
-Play a playlist

The only thing I ever seem to get it to do is to go to the next or previous track. Anyone have any experience with this? Without voice control it's really difficult to pull anything up on the fly.

cjmnews

Staff member
Voice control and Bluetooth in iOS 11 are also broken where it says that devices such as the iPhone X do not have voice control capability (a lie) and I have a bug open with Apple on it.

You were saying that voice control in an older system was working to change artists? Never having tried that before I was unaware of that capability. Which iOS was that? v10?

In this case I recommend a playlist of tracks that you would like to hear. Then use the Next track to skip ones that don't interest you at the time. You should also log a bug with Apple at bugreport.apple.com

I was wondering how you were going to charge the device while driving? Have you considered a case with 2 lightning ports, so you can use one to listen and one to charge?

PetiePal

My iPod touch was a gen 2 or 3 last, it was a 64GB one. I barely updated the iOS version but it worked flawlessly except once in awhile in large playlists (2000+ songs) it would crash and go to the home screen.

Otherwise the voice control would do a simple beep and I could use commands like:

Play Artist
Play Album
Play Playlist

which is really all I ever needed from voice control!

So I bought the official Apple dongle that is lightning to lightning passthrough, and it also has a 3.5mm audio out so I could charge AND have it going to Aux In in the car. Next car will hopefully have bluetooth streaming I missed that by like a year or two in model it only does Bluetooth calls unfortunately.