Ipod Touch increases and decreases volume by itself

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Jamieking86

Hi all, so i have this really annoying problem with my ipod.

I listen to my ipod on my motorcycle and i have it connected to my bluetooth intercom on my helemt. I turn the volume up as much as possible on the ipod so i can just control the volume on my bluetooth piece (supposedly), but when i get to higher speeds on my bike, the volume increases by itself, so it starts to deafen me, i'm like jesus christ, turn it down on the bluetooth piece, then when i slow down the volume decreases again so i have to turn it back up again on the headset. It is so frustrating, i just want one frequent volume. It's not the headset because i used to listen to the ipod with my earphones on the bike, so it's something to do with the ipod, is it some sort of setting i can turn on/off? Please help me lol. TIA

cjmnews

Staff member
Since you are in the iPod Touch forum, I will surmise this is the device you are using. It would be nice to know the generation of iPod Touch and the helmet/intercom system you are using are.

The older iPod Touch models, generation 1-3, maybe 4 too, apparently used a Bluetooth profile that requires volume control on the receiver.

You stated that you were able to control Bluetooth volume so that means a newer model, 5-7th generation. You also stated it was maxed.
There are apps like Volume by Velocity that can control the iPod Touch volume based on your speed. And you can limit it with the app as well.

You stated the helmet/intercom has volume control as well. I suspect that the helmet/intercom is adjusting the volume since the volume was maxed on the iPod Touch, and you said it got louder, it only makes sense the helmet/intercom is doing this.
For example the Cardo Scala Rider PACKTALK has speed sensitive volume.

Jamieking86

Hi thank you for your reply.

Yes it's an ipod touch 5th generation model, my apologies for not clarifying that and i have the Scala Rider QZ bluetooth ear piece.

I may check that app out and see if it helps. The strange thing is, if i put my hand over the earpiece whilst I'm riding, to skip track for example, the volume increases then too, and when i remove my hand, it decreases so it's possible the Scala Rider is adjusting the volume, but as i said in my previous post, it did the same when i just used earphones on the bike, when i increased speed, the volume increased.

cjmnews

Staff member
Logically the problem can't be the iPod, it has to be the Scala, since the volume was maxed on the iPod before you started.

Also the Scala has AGC (Automatic Gain Control) to alter the volume as conditions change. You may want to try a couple things here.
  • Set the AGC to Medium or Low to prevent the massive increase in volume (suspect it is set to High, or you may need a firmware update to get the setting updates I mentioned. I am looking at firmware version 3.0.17)
  • Try setting the Bluetooth volume at a medium-high setting.
When you were using earphones, you could get a similar sense of volume increasing as things (your head, ears, skin) expand in heat and the helmet does not, pushing the earphones into your ears. making it seem louder. For this I would be using headphones with an on-cord remote to adjust the volume.

Jamieking86

Thanks, i'll look into the settings for the Scala rider, but it didn't come with a USB lead, only a wall plug so at the mo, got no way of updating firmware etc. A usb lead is on order though so will check that out when i receive it thanks. As for the earphones....it was 100% the volume increasing by itself. I know what your saying, but i can tell a difference betweem the volume increasing and it been pushed more in my ear and it was definately the volume that was increasing, it was deafening to the point that sometimes i had to pull over and turn it down manually.

cjmnews

Staff member
The iPod does not have an auto volume adjustment capability without an app. Hopefully the firmware/settings updates help. The default setting on AGC is medium increase of volume.