IPOD Touch Gen6

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dek001

New IPOD Touch 6. Transfer from old IPOD 6 didn't transfer everything. How do you redo the transfer process without using the cloud or itunes? Also will the transfer include everything - Apps, library docs, video, music, etc?

cjmnews

Staff member
You don't. There is no direct transfer process without using a backup on iCloud or iTunes. Even then the apps don't transfer with the restore, they download from the store over the next few minutes. Some exceptions will also occur if the iOS versions are different and you have apps that only run on an old iOS. The iPod Touch 6 can run iOS 8.4-12.4.8 as of this post and that is a big range. The new iPod Touch will generally be running the latest iOS, where the old iPod Touch could be running something ancient.

If you were to specify what is missing, maybe I can explain why a little better.

An iTunes backup is better as it will get photos and videos where the iCloud backup does not.

The transfer process, will erase anything you did on the new iPod Touch 6.
  1. Plug the old iPod Touch 6 into your iTunes computer and capture a backup (should be automatic, but you can click on the device in the iTunes button bar then click Backup Now. Wait for the backup to complete. Note the date and time. Unplug the old iPod Touch 6.
  2. Plug in the new iPod Touch into your iTunes computer, click on the device in the iTunes button bar then click on Restore iPod. This will erase the iPod Touch, put on a clean copy of iOS 12.4.8
  3. iTunes will ask you if you want to set this up as a new device or restore from a backup. Use the drop down menu and choose the backup from the old iPod Touch 6 (using the date and time from step 1 to be sure it is the correct backup). Wait for the restore to complete.
  4. Unplug the new iPod Touch and access it, set up the language, network connection, etc. Wait for the apps to download.

dek001

Thank you! I have a number of functional apps programmed with data. Will I have to download the apps and subsequently reload the data or is there a way to transfer the data too? Also, what about Notes, library with saved docs and PDFs, ? Bookmarks?

dek001

Can the same be done with a new Iphone 8 and the data from the backed-up Ipod 6?

dek001

I just checked the ipod 6 and it is a gen 7 running ios 13.1 will that pose any probs or can I just update to 13.1 after restore?

cjmnews

Staff member
The data for the apps will be transferred automatically. It is captured in the backup. The apps should also download automatically in Step 4. Everything should transfer over including Notes, iBooks, Bookmarks and PDFs.

Yes, the data can be transferred between devices (based on what the device supports, like an iPad won't get Phone call data from an iPad backup).

An iPod Touch 7th generation can run iOS between 12.3 and 13.6, there are no differences in the restore process. The same older apps (generally 32 bit apps) will not run. If the iPod Touch 7th generation is restored, it will be automatically upgraded to iOS 13.6. If it is running an older iOS, and is not set up the restore process will use that version and yes you can upgrade later.

dek001

ibooks and PDFs did not transfer? All else transferred.

cjmnews

Staff member
Apple states: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136
Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
If your content is from another place there are a couple ways to handle this.

1. Use iCloud
    1. On the all devices you want the iBooks to be in sync, go to Settings->iBooks
    2. Depending on the iOS version you may have a Sync Collections button (older iOS) or iCloud Drive (current iOS) to have PDFs located in a central location and shared across the devices. Sync Bookmarks (older iOS) and Reading Now (current iOS) will share the place where you are reading as well.
  2. Use iTunes
    1. re-import them to the new device with iTunes by adding the eBooks and PDF to the Books section of iTunes, plug in the iPod Touch, select these as books to sync.

dek001

My itunes does not contain a "book" section in the library. It is only found when the ipod is engaged. The library consists of music, movies, tv shows, podcasts and audiobooks. The documents and PDFs I have on the ipod which I want to transfer were created on the ipod as saved documents.

cjmnews

Staff member
Sorry, I forgot they partially removed that feature from iTunes. I can only keep so much information in my head. :)

Connect the iPod Touch to iTunes
In the left hand column, click on the arrow next to your iPod Touch, it should expand out to several areas.
Click on the Books section under your iPod Touch. If any existing books are on it, they should show in the right side under the Books list.
Drag your PDFs from Windows Explorer and drop onto iTunes in the Books list. This will add them to the iPod Touch.

dek001

The documents and PDFs were created on the ipod and I want to transfer them to the new ipod. Can I drag and drop from the ipod to my windows computer?

cjmnews

Staff member
Sure. I assume you have a PDF Reader app like Acrobat installed on the old iPod Touch.

Plug the old iPod Touch into your computer.
Click on the iPod Touch in the iTunes button bar.
Click on File Sharing in the left column.
Click on your PDF reader app in the left side of the mail iTunes window
Click on or more PDF files (hold CTRL and Click to select more than 1)
Click on Save
Navigate to the folder you want to put them into, click Select Folder.

dek001

All of my documents are located in books which is not available for file share in itunes.
How can I get them transferred or copied to PDF reader?

cjmnews

Staff member
I have been experimenting with an old iPad, and have not found a solution using iTunes.
I can't move them to iCloud, or to a PDF reader app, or even email them

It looks like a 3rd party tool is the only option. CopyTrans seems to be one people have used from time to time on these forums. I don't have it so I don't know how well it works. People have used it to get other content off of their iDevices, and it seems they also handle iBooks content in the same way.

You would use CopyTrans or some other tool to get the PDFs off of the device, then use iTunes to put them back on by dragging them from Windows Explorer to the Books section of the device.

dek001

I email my docs to myself, put doc in separate folder and then copy to PDF reader APP in new IPod.

cjmnews

Staff member
It is nice to have the ability to email the docs to yourself. Mine seem to be locked inside of iBooks with no option to do that.