• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

iPod to Come...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Larathydo

Hello fellas,

I have a quick question, but i suppose i could start it off with a brief story...

Way back when, in the age of the 3rd generation, i happily purchased my 3G 40GB iPod on roughly May or June of 2004. Well, needless to say, i'm shure you all remember the front page of that magazine steve jobs was in that said "iPod, therefor i am." Yep - just as i thought, the newest iPod was released a few months later. I wasent too concerned. I loved my iPod and it did it's job great.

Well, almost a year has passed and i am put into the same situation, and i am afraid history may repeat itself. I am in the market for a new iPod, since my iPod unfortunately has suffered from a malfunctioning headphone jack.

I am trying to determine if i should buy a 4G 60GB iPod Photo or hold off untill the next iPod is released. I have tried out the ipod photo, and i really do like some of it's features - but i am just wondering if something better will be released in the not too distant future (and, does anyone have any estimations asto when this date of the new generation may be?).

Anyway, i was just looking for some insight from these fourms, as they played a large part in my decision to buy my first iPod, so i trust the judgement of people here.

Any ideas?

russgiro88

iObsessed
I'm in the same situation. My iPod is hurting and I need a new one. I'm thinking that if my iPod dies I might just buy a shuffle to hold me over until the next Generation iPod comes out. Most people speculate that it won't be until the summer sometime most likely end of July or into August.

Personally, I would wait. Now that they have color screens and photo capabilities, this has opened the door for alot of new features. I think that the wait will be worth it.

raidersfann26

4G 40GB IPod Photo
I feel for ya man... i was in the same position about 2 months ago... i finally decided to buy a 20 gb 4 g model then the VERY next day they dropped the prices of the photos... there i was again in a very difficult situation so what i did was took my 20gb back and pitched in an extra 60 bucks and got the last 40gb ipod photo they had... im happy with it... my advice to you would be if you can find an older model like the 40 or 60 gb photo then go for it because those come with the docks, the tv cables, both firewire and av cables and not to mention a cool case... the new photo ones only come with the firewire cable thats it... i mean i was going to wait to but i figured im not going to get another bargain like this and unless the 5g comes with like a dramatic change like video capability (yea right) then basically what could the 5g have that the ipod photo doesnt have.

Good luck... Keep us updated on your decision

rc-86

Website
www.rc86.com
Well MacWorld is June 6-10. It's widely expected that Jobs will introduce the 5G on his keynote speech. That would mean we'd probably have the 5G in our hands by the end of June.

Meaning...hold off until then. If he doesn't make the 5G announcement in June that means the next generation won't be out until Fall time. Once again though, I see no reason why Jobs shouldn't introduce the 5G at MacWorld. It's primetime for the announcement and time for the new iPod.

Larathydo

Hmm, very interesting. Thanks for the insight.

I guess, as for now, i will wait till his speech then. Perhaps by that date the now-current iPod Photos will drop in price. If he does not mention it i will just get the iPod photo. I just want to play my music, and not have my annoying headphone problem.

Sounds good :D

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! :D

russgiro88

iObsessed
raidersfann26 said:
I feel for ya man... i was in the same position about 2 months ago... i finally decided to buy a 20 gb 4 g model then the VERY next day they dropped the prices of the photos... there i was again in a very difficult situation so what i did was took my 20gb back and pitched in an extra 60 bucks and got the last 40gb ipod photo they had... im happy with it... my advice to you would be if you can find an older model like the 40 or 60 gb photo then go for it because those come with the docks, the tv cables, both firewire and av cables and not to mention a cool case... the new photo ones only come with the firewire cable thats it... i mean i was going to wait to but i figured im not going to get another bargain like this and unless the 5g comes with like a dramatic change like video capability (yea right) then basically what could the 5g have that the ipod photo doesnt have.

Good luck... Keep us updated on your decision
Good to hear. I thought it was later than that. Makes the wait a little more bearable and by then I'll actually have some money to buy one.

rc-86

Website
www.rc86.com
Glad I can help! Although I'll be honest the photo prices won't drop between now and then. Although if the 5G is announced then the photo prices will drop quickly. Like I said, it'll be worth the wait.

pinkholic

i'm waiting, too.

the wait seems to be endless....
but then again i also think apple is going to announce the new
ipod by june. i mean, they relased a mac mini a few months back,
so it cant' be a new computer jobbs is annoucing, right?
i think it's safe to say June is when the new ipod is coming.
and i cant wait!!!

-James

Website
www.google.co.uk
I'm desperately trying to fill up my 20GB 3G before the next iPod is released so i can justify buying one. Only 12GB to go!