• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

iPod theft - stop that iPod thief!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

iPod theft - how to stop it?

• Apple should make a remote with a display so you can hide and use the iPod ($)

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • Apple should build in a fingerprint reader into the next iPod ($$$)

Votes: 12 9.7%
  • Apple should build in security requiring you to sync otherwise deactivate

Votes: 14 11.3%
  • Apple should build in a button unlock function into the next iPod

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Don't use white earbuds

Votes: 70 56.5%
  • Someone should introduce an iPod disguise

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Hide your iPod.

Votes: 51 41.1%
  • Do nothing. We can't stop iPod theft

Votes: 14 11.3%

• Total voters

stevesurf

In a spinning class
Well, we know the people that are stealing iPods are pretty mean, so what's the best way keep 'em away (besides garlic around our necks and silver bullets)?

stevesurf

In a spinning class
I personally would like a sturdy remote with display - tuck the iPod away, but still enjoy it.

MrZebra77

Let's get more radical.

Someone should make a small bomb that is shaped like an iPod. Go to NYC with it (Wearing those ThiefBait Headphones) and when he gets PodJacked, wait a few seconds for the thief to run away a bit and then push the button and BOOM! Blow the thief's hand off!

After a couple of incidents of this, PodJacking will stop.

Madkins007

Logical solution: stop advertising that you are using an iPod- no white headphones* and use some sort of case or jacket to camo the unit. (I like the idea on another thread to make it look like a cheap Walkman!)

(* besides, white plastics deteriorate in the sun faster than black does. Black plastics are more UV stable due to the inclusion of carbon in the mix.)

OR- get a wireless headphone that looks like old AM/FM headphones- NO ONE steals those!

DON'T clutter my wonderful device up with kludgy security gimmicks or other things that add cost, such the battery, or impede my enjoyment or access. Besides- smart thiefs figure out ways around stuff like that almost as soon as it hits the market.

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
Hide your iPod. If don't want it stolen, don't flash it. Simple logic.

thesire

This seems pretty obvious. First dont use the white earbuds. It like saying "I have an iPod, steal it from me"
Second, dont whip it out for everyone to see, only let people you know see it. A lot of people dont even know I have an iPod because of those two reasons.

KTheFrog

Don't flaunt it and yeah don't use the whie headphones (their a piece of crap anyways) well the ones that come with the iPod.

swy32x

I keep mine in my pocket and dont use the stock buds, just like thesire people do not know that I have one, or at least not on me due to these reasons!

stevesurf

In a spinning class
superberri said:
???
So roughly half (or a wee bit more) say don't use white buds; the the other half (or a wee bit less) want some kind of security feature. I really feel that stealing locked-out iPods will reduce the interest

...but I like the white buds!

Madshadow

I agree, i like the white buds. They look cool, and they are small enought to not look bulky. I would like apple to do something about this. I dont care what though.

Masamune_VII

It's simple. Just put your iPod always in your pocket and dont use the White earbuds in crowded places. Be alert if somebody is in your back or something. I remember one time I was at the arcade playing, there was a moron who is trying to sneak in my pockets but I am always alert of that stuff so I kinda move myself and then he quickly move his hand pretending that he was only watching. I was thinking of pushing him and smacking his face but I gave him a chance. He's lucky that there were lots of people there and I dont want to start any troubles. But if anyone do this again to me I said to myself that I will show no mercy. Yea White earbuds are cool and they are unique.

Last edited:
O

ollie4SG

I think the white earbuds are good, but the sound quality is a bit poor. I just hide the iPod. I do think the remote with display's a good idea though.

everlast

Pro Lounger
You could just use common knowledge of where to use an ipod an where not too; for example, don't use it at school, on the subway, in the middle of a ruddy nieghborhood, ect.

idiosyncratic

Don't be stupid.

Don't make it obvious that you have an iPod. Don't use the white earbuds. Don't take it out in public. Don't take it with you to bad areas.

I have to laugh when I see someone walking with their iPod stuck out in front of them, while they're fiddling with the controls. It would be so easy to pull a snatch-and-run.