iPod & Summer Heat

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

iCamp

I purchased my iPod (20Gig) mainly for use in my car (as FM radio sucks and I'm tired of scratching CDs).

I'm concerned how my iPod will react to summer temperatures inside my car. Most of the time I'll take my iPod with me when I leave the car but I know that won't always be convenient. I'd like some input for those of you who have been through a hot summer with your iPod: will it survive a few hours of stagnant hot air in the blazing summer sun??

BigBohn

The manual says it can take -4 F to 113 F during storage, and 32 F to 95 F in usage. I bet your car gets to like 110 or so if its out in a parking lot getting baked, and it cools pretty quick once A/C is on full blast, so sure try it out.

But if it was me, and I had to leave it in the car and not take it in with me, I'd leave it in the center console area because its insulated, something many car manufacturs are doing in recent models ('96+).

EdinLA43

Just stash it under the seat or in the glove box so it's not in direct sunlight. Your LCD screen will turn dark if it gets too hot.

dean0

i second placing it out-of-sight. being on the recieving end of 4 car break-ins, i try not to even leave a pack of gum in open sight in my car. so whenever i leave, the ipod comes with me, but if i had to leave it, under the seat (up in the padding), or in a locking golve box would be the safest, and coolest places in the car

BigBohn

sparks9 said:
What's that in real degrees? (celsius)
My manual is stashed somewhere, but, IIRC, the usage temp is 0 C to 35 C, but I can't quite remember the Celcius temp for storage.

Cozzie

I have my iPod in the car (in the glove box, to be exact) most of the day and it hasn't had any problems. You should be fine.

iCamp

The manual says it can take -4 F to 113 F during storage, and 32 F to 95 F in usage
Thanks for the info.
Interior temps in a car parked can rise around 130 F. I think I had better make sure I carry my iPod with me on really hot days.

Joe

Website
www.hamsterdance.com
Hmm... maybe I'll get a bunch of heatsinks and place on the back of the unit with arctic silver compound and constantly blow on the fins to keep it working in the heat of summer. :p

iamaustin

Website
www.austina.net
If your car has a fridge compartment, such as the 7 series, just put it in there :)

Or you could just crack a window and put the Ipod in the center console armrest.

Jeff3F

I live in Cleveland, where sh*thead thieves are more common then roaches. I would lock anything into the dash (glovebox), and that usually stays decently cool. My more-expensive-than-iPod radar detector (V1) has been fine there even though I have green-house effect T-tops. Goes without saying don't leave it in the direct sunlight, because even if it survives someone may come along and crack your windows for you.

I would be carefull-er in Arizona or someplace closer to Hell on the thermostat.

Kirk

Website
home.socal.rr.com
In hot climates keep your iPod in the shade. Solar heating will add 10 F (5 C) or more to its temperature. If your iPod screen goes dark, its too hot to use. Its probably not actually damaged but you're getting there.

iPod Addict

Website
slugger.gunnarworld.com
Well if your going to leave your car parked somewhere for along time, I would put in in some container that your car has. Or take it with you if your really paranoid about someone breaking into your car. But I have noticed that when I took a vacation down in Florida, the iPod's battery life lasted much longer than in Massachusetts' cold weather. . So don't be surprised if your iPod lasts a little bit longer in the summer than in the winter.

gizmo53

Uber Mac User
113 degrees? I live outside of NYC, and one time I was bored so I baked a batch of cookies on my dash on a summer day last year. It got up to 150 in there! I used to live in Saudi Arabia, and you don't want to be inside a car for about 5 minutes after opening the doors of a car. You definitely want to be inside when the outside temperature is about 120.