• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

iPod Spinoff, In Canada?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

thesire

Recently MGD computers, Canada largest computer, maker started advertising an "iPod style MP3 player" in thier afvertisments. There is already an article on this posted here iPod Style MP3 Player

The current link given there is shows the now updated version.MDG advertisment

I only saw them advertising it as the "iPod style MP3 Player" once, and I think that was on Saturday. They are still currently advertising the player, mearly saying it is MDG best selling player. (They dont sell any others, just in case you were wondering)

When I first saw the word iPod on the ever so fimiliar MDG advertisments in the paper(there is a full page advertisment on the back of a section daily) I was suprised. I didnt think MDG sold iPods. I was even further suprised to see that it wasnt infact an iPod, but a very similar look alike.

What do you guys think? How long until Apple files an imminent lawsuit?

mithra

NOT a mind reader
Ah, I saw a similar ad on the back of the Metro paper on Tuesday. Flip to the last page over here.

Free iPOD Style Personal Audio and Video Player with System Purchase!!! ($279 Value)
  • iPod style personal audio/video player
  • 1.5" colour LCD screen
  • plays MP3, WMA, MPEG, AVI etc.
  • FM radio
  • Digital voice recorder
  • built in USB storage key
  • built in lithium battery
  • $279 Retail value
I'd just like to point out the poor/inconsisent capitalization and punctuation in the list is quoted as is, not my own. ;)

Edit: here's a page on nano knockoffs

Last edited:

cks2006

Thats what it would be, those Chinese look-alikes (IMO, calling them knock-offs isn't exactly the right term). Not worth $279 retail, more like $100 or so.

ipodphoto30

darn canadians... lol jk didn't mean it

but it definitely has the looks. the firmware must be easy to use. for those prices just get an ipod.

thesire

Anothor one appeared today, this time using half page advertisments in their own flyer. Basically there are the words "Free iPod" that are big, and they pretty much dominate the 6 page advertisment. There is going to have to be some kind of copyright, especially when these flyers are being distributed in major canadian newspapers.

Ethan120, yes they are in the LFP, thats where I first saw them, because I live in London.

And of course it has the looks, it looks just like an iPod nano, of course not to us, the iPod fanboys, but it probably does to the average consumer, especially when the word iPod is written right next to it.

thesire

dansgil said:
Yes, I noticed this today in one of their flyers.

It may confusing for some consumers. People see Free iPod in huge letters and think they're going to get an iPod with their computer.
Exactly why I can see a lawsuit. You would have absouloutly no problem in court proving that MDG is using the word iPod to try and benifit it sales, expecially when the dont even dell them. The funny this is Staples (now afflilated with MDG) dosent even sell iPods)