iPod skipping words in Audible books

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Podunk

robert said:
David THINKS that it is a defective file. Remains to be seen.
Well, if the file skips on the iPod AND skips in iTunes, AND skips still after he REDOWNLOADED the file from Audible, there is nothing left to be seen. Its definately the file.

And if thats the case, I would just contact customer service. I'm sure they'll take care of it.

Last edited:

galaxygrrl

parannoya said:
Well, if the file skips on the iPod AND skips in iTunes, AND skips still after he REDOWNLOADED the file from Audible, there is nothing left to be seen. Its definately the file.
OK, I have listened to Snow Crash and it did not have any skipping for me. In fact, Audible has never skipped for me on my mini or classic ipod. This does not make a lot of sence to me.

Here are my thoughts:

(1) You did not listen to it on Audible Manager. I bet in Audible Manager it would not skip. I bet this is an issue with the iPod and iTunes. Not Audible.

(2) Audible Customer Service is great!!! Every time I had an issue, they have resolved it. Just call them. They do seem to care! :) They can't help you if you don't talk to them.

Cheers,

Beth

Podunk

That may be true about Snow Crash.

But I assume the one that he redownloaded and double checked on the desktop was "Fifth Elephant".

David, if there's still any question, you could try streaming the file from online and see if it still skips in the same place. And if that is the case, just contact customer service. They are great about things like that.

I don't recall ever having an Audible file with skips in it either.

But I did get a defective song from iTunes once. I informed them of the file and they checked and sure enough it was a bad encoding. So they gave me a refund and told me they would have it replaced in about two weeks and I should wait until then to redownload it. So it is possible.

Last edited:

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
Thanks for all this. I didn't quite mean to set such a hare running! I've emailed Audible about "Fifth Elephant" and am awaiting a reply.

With"Snow Crash" I still feel there were occasional skips (maybe so short you wouldn't notice it most times), but I certainly can't identify particular spots, whereas I definitely can with "Fifth Elephant". Though I loved "Snow Crash" I'm not going to listen to it all again just to spot the skips!

Thanks to all for their comments. I have every confidence in Audible.

robert

Retired
david1951 said:
...Recently I've noticed when listening to audio books that my iPod seems to be skipping small bits - a few words or a phrase here or there. I can't easily determine if this is bad encoding in the Audible file, or if it's a problem with my iPod...

Anyone else having this problem?
Today I got my first ever skip listening to an audible.com selection. Was significantly garbled and missing words for a painful moment or so. I stopped my iPod, noted the time, turned it off, and when I turned it back on, I was three minutes or so past my stop point. Went back to the listening point where it had been garbled, and the iPod played the audio flawlessly.

I am guessing that I happened to bump or vibrate the iPod just as it was transferring from the hard disc to the buffer resulting in the skipping and that my actions forced a refill of the buffer. I have seen in other threads that to avoid this problem when exercising it is best to carry the iPod above waist level where it gets less g's.

Edit 7-8-04: Happened again, skipped and corrected when I turned off iPod and started again. Still guessing that is it the buffer filling.

Last edited:

Crazy Pete

I'm having this exact same issue with "Echo Burning" by Lee Child. Just downloaded it last week, only about 3 hrs into part 1 but it's skipping words and phrases a good deal. Not every minute or anything like that, but at least 3 or 4 times every 45 minutes or so I'd say. Also, it seems to randomly insert the title music and have the title read again before going back into the story repeating the last sentence before it. Odd. I've just e-mailed Audible customer support so we'll see what they say about it. Good book so far, otherwise.

dordale

Crazy Pete--

Does the file have problems when played through iTunes as well? If iTunes has no problems playing the file, something might have happened in the transfer to your iPod--try deleting the file from your iPod and re-transferring.

If iTunes has the same problems playing the file, you might try re-downloading the file to see if there was a glitch with the initial download.

If neither of these two works, there might be a problem with audible's file. If that's the case, they'll have to fix it on their end.

Good luck--let us know what you find out.

dordale :)