iPod skipping words in Audible books

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
This may be a slight cross-posting, as I'm not sure where to place it, here or in the iPod problems forum.

Recently I've noticed when listening to audio books that my iPod seems to be skipping small bits - a few words or a phrase here or there. I can't easily determine if this is bad encoding in the Audible file, or if it's a problem with my iPod.

I do seem also to get occasional skips in music tracks, and here it always seems to be at the same point in the song. I've put that down to bad encoding, but now I'm noticing it in the audio books, and don't really think Audible would release a book with so many glitches in it.

Anyone else having this problem?

dordale

David--

Rarely, I have had problems with audible books...

Have you tried to replay the part that skipped? Does it skip consistently in the same place?

You might try transferring the files with problems to your iPod again--another thing to try is re-downloading the files from audible. Something could have happened during your download that caused a glitch in the audible file.

Good luck!
dordale :)

robert

Retired
Possible Fix for Skipping words

sweet pea said:
... but I have a problem with the next track starting before the first one is finished. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

BillClinton said:
Do I understand your original question/problem - your tracks start to blend into each other? If that's the case, then it is in your playback preferences. You can choose to have a pause, or blend songs together as a "nice" transition - decent for music, but awful for spoken word. Change your settings and this should take care of it.

sweet pea said:
Bill,

Your suggestion of changing my playback settings worked on my immediate issue, thanks.

This may have only to do with spoken word CD's ripped onto iPod. These are posted in New User with Audio Book Problem

Last edited:

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
robert: thanks, but that's not my problem. I understand about cross fading. That's not what's happening.

The problem is with Audible files (.aa) - specifically at present I'm listening to "The Fifth Elephant" by Terry Pratchett.

About once every few minutes I can tell there's a word or a phrase cut off - it just seems as though the iPod has jumped a quarter second or so ahead in the file without playing the content.

Because this happens while I'm walking along, it's very hard to stop, haul the iPod out of its case, rewind and see if it happens again. Running or jogging doesn't seem to cause it to happen, so I don't think it's some kind of physical effect.

Podunk

David,
I would check the file by playing it in iTunes. I have rarely ever had a problem with Audible files. If the problem doesn't occur on your computer, then at least you can narrow it down to an iPod problem.
p

dordale

David--

You said that running or jogging don't seem to cause it to happen...do you also have the problem when you're sitting still and listening to your iPod? If not, I would really suspect that it could be the movement. I think (but I am not certain) that the hard drive spins more often when playing audible files than when playing regular mp3's. If this is the case, the iPod would be more prone to skipping while jogging/walking and listening to audible files on the iPod.

Good luck--hope you get this figured out soon!

Last edited:

robert

Retired
Never had a skip in almost a year of jogging

dordale said:
David--

You said that running or jogging don't seem to cause it to happen... I think (but I am not certain) that the hard drive spins more often when playing audible files than when playing regular mp3's. If this is the case, the iPod would be more prone to skipping while jogging/walking and listening to the iPod.

I have been jogging half an hour every other day with my iPod since I got it last summer and it has NEVER skipped.
Sometimes I skip a day jogging and sometimes my mind skips, but my iPod has never missed a word. I do wish for an easy TiVo-like replay so I could hear what I miss when my wife talks to me or I get distracted. Wonder if I could get a TiVo like wife-conversation rewind so that when I am not paying attention, I could get a recovery and stay out of trouble?

This is beginning to sound like a specific unit issue. Hope you are still under warranty, David. Do you, as Parannoya asks, get skips listening to iTunes on your computer?

I once timed the battery life on Audible files and got the rated battery time, so I assume that if no more power is being used by audible files that the disc is probably spinning about eaual for songs and audio files.

There is a discussion of jogging problems on the apple site: Jogging Discussion at Apple Sounds as if you have to jog much faster and harder than I do not have the problem, which is a freeze, not a skip and the solution is to carry the iPod in your hand, not strapped to your waist.

Last edited:

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
Thanks to all for advice.

Sounds like I need to do some real research, particularly catching a passage where I hear a definite skip, rewinding, play it back and see if the skip is there. When I do that I will be standing still - so no jogging!

I'll let you know.

Oh... one thing. My iPod locked up this morning (first time ever) while using iPodAgent, and I had to reset. This is the first time I've ever reset (had the iPod about 2 months). Might be interesting to see if the skipping has gone away after the reset.

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
OK! The faults are in the original Audible file. It's not the iPod.

When I play the same passages in iTunes (no iPod connected), the same bits are missed. Don't know whether it was a bad download or what (though surely Audible Manager has error checking). Or maybe a bad transfer by Audible from the original?

Maybe I'll try downloading the file again, just to see if the same defects are in the same spots.

In any case, I'm really glad it's not a hardware problem.

Last edited:

robert

Retired
Some things to try

1. In control panel, look at Quick Time settings and see if changing to waveout fixes.
2. Check for spyware interference by scrubbing with free- or software.
3. Begin download book just before you go to bed and leave computer doing nothing else. Are you trying to seriously multitask while you are downloading?
4. Or just plain download again to see if skip is consistent.
5. Download at format 4 quality. What are you using now?
6. Re-install iTunes
7. Talk to Audible help. I find that Live Assistance is good. I wonder if they put their better help people there -- ones who can handle several complicated problems at once.
8. Call or do Live Assistance during normal working hours -- the best help has to be senior enough to demand the prime shift.

Good luck!

Bob

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
Robert: thanks, I will follow up with Audible.

But for your interest, I did download the same file again (format 3, there was no format 4 available). The same glitches are there, at exactly the same spots. Hence I'm sure the fault is in the original file.

bsoplinger

I had a glitching audible file. Contacted audible and about 2 months later they had a new file available. I think they even gave me a free book for having tracked down the problems.

So be patient, but they do actually fix books with errors in them.

robert

Retired
Is this skipping only on one book or all books

Is this problem limited to one or two books or to all books? Which book specifically? If one of us has that book(s) and it doesn't skip, then we narrow the problem. Seems that if this is only one or two books and not most or all books, that this problem is not worth all the air expended here -- but my impression is that the problem is pervasive for David.

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
Well, of course I only listen to one book at a time!!

It has been particularly noticeable in this book (Fifth Elephant), but I also did notice it listening to Snow Crash. Let me contact Audible and we'll see what they say.

Podunk

Robert, keep up!

He already determined about ten posts back that it was a defective file.
:D

robert

Retired
david1951 said:
Well, of course I only listen to one book at a time!!

It has been particularly noticeable in this book (Fifth Elephant), but I also did notice it listening to Snow Crash. Let me contact Audible and we'll see what they say.
Why only one book at the time? Heck, you have two ears and two sides of your brain.

Seriously, scariest is seeing people driving in rush hour reading a book or newspaper. One poster some where said that he listened to an audio book while he read the Wall Street Journal. That is a trick I couldn't handle.

robert

Retired
parannoya said:
Robert, keep up!

He already determined about ten posts back that it was a defective file.
:D
David THINKS that it is a defective file. Remains to be seen.

dordale

David--

A while back (probably over a year ago) I had a problem with an audible book I downloaded...I complained to audible, and they gave me a book credit to purchase anything I wanted with. Also, they eventually fixed the book I had complained about, and I was able to download that book again.

Good luck with your communications with audible--let us know how it turns out!