iPod Photo: Why not iPod Video??

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

blue_maffu_202

I love the idea of a color screen and being able to see the album art on screen is great.

But now that there is longer battery life and a bigger hard drive any a color screen wouldn't it have been more logical to make an iPod video??

I already have a 3G iPod and the only way I think I would ever buy another iPod would be if it could play videos.

Why doesn't Apple do this? It would be great! and they could still have all the stupid photo stuff on there too because how hard it is to be able to view photos?

opinions??

greedo

iPod, therefore i am
The beauty of the current iPod design is it's simplicity and it's small size. Who would want to watch video on such a small sized-screen?

Maybe a multimedia iPod will eventually be designed to allow storage and display of music, images and video, but until then, if you want an all-encompassing device, wait for the new handheld Playstation.

I believe (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), Apple made a statement in the past staying that they had no plans to create an all-in-one multimedia device.

At least for now...

blue_maffu_202

Well to me the ipod photo has some nice features but it needs something more. I mean to pay that kind of money for a color screen is ridiculous.

And I checked the other topics and could not find any other topic about this ok

MikeM

Retired
Maybe there are future enhancements on the way, either from Apple or other companies. A direct camera to iPod link would be nice. Its possible Apple got the iPod Photo out the door now for the holiday season and held off on other enhancements.

Specifically about the video iPod- Steve Jobs himself said that they weren't going to make one. His thought was that video absorbs all of your attention. People can listen to music while doing other things. The market for video isn't big enough. But with that being said, it certainly looks like Apple is moving towards a video iPod. Color screen and TV hookups certainly take the iPod in that direction. My hope is that there remains a music iPod and that a video iPod comes separately.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Steve Jobs said during the event on the 26th.

There is limited content.
Watching videos on a small screen isn't fun
And a couple of other things.
Steve Jobs believes that Photo's was the direction to go. We'll see if he is right.
He also pulled out a video clip from Indiana Jones referring to the other companies "They are digging in the wrong place."

Time will tell though, I suppose. They may be waiting to see how other companies do and move from there. Not sure, though I know I wouldn't buy a video iPod. I'm barely able to pay attention to my iPod with just music when I am out and about.

jwc110869

Technology made me fat
If you watched the presentation, made available at Apple.com, then you would have heard Steve Jobs condem video devices as "too big for your pocket, and screens to small to enjoy".

I doubt an "iPod Video" is in the near, or even distant, future.

Stevie61

Nine Inch Nails
I like my 3g iPod and won't part with it for quite some time.But i do love that U2 edition iPod its pretty cool as for the photo iPod its useless to me its great for professional photographers tho.

will1087

Yummy Yummy
battery life battery life battery life. it can barely hold 15 hrs on a full charge (Im being EXTREMELY generous here) let alone play video. If it were able to play video, it might not last more than a few hours. The only thing, imo, holding it back is the battery

jough

El Guapo
Website
poetryx.com
Right now the problem is a lack of content. But I wouldn't expect it to be too long before iTunes starts offering downloadable videos and such.

In any case, I wouldn't put too much stock into anything Jobs says. I mean, a few years ago he thought that digital music was a passing fad, that Apple would never offer iTunes or the iPod to Windows users, that the iPod would NOT have a colour screen, and that "it's all about the music" (now I guess it's all about the music AND the photos - maybe next year it'll be all about the music, photos, AND videos).

So who knows. I'd be surprised if the iPP is a runaway hit, if only because the price is so much higher than the music-only players.

I try not to carry anything around in my pockets that I can't afford to replace right away if it gets broken or stolen.

Bluemini

Tiger Bait.... Go LSU!!!
blue_maffu_202 said:
Well to me the ipod photo has some nice features but it needs something more. I mean to pay that kind of money for a color screen is ridiculous.

And I checked the other topics and could not find any other topic about this ok
Wait... a 40 gb iPod 3G used to cost 499. No one had a problem with it when it was that much. People thought that it was worth it. Well for that much, now you get photos on your iPod, 15 hour battery life, album art while song is playing and a color screen. Hmmm sounds like they're doing just fine to me.

will1087 said:
battery life battery life battery life. it can barely hold 15 hrs on a full charge (Im being EXTREMELY generous here) let alone play video. If it were able to play video, it might not last more than a few hours. The only thing, imo, holding it back is the battery
and why is that? all it is in pixels going different colors, and a backlight, we dont always need the backlight, as Its been said before, it could be used as a storage medium, transportation of movies...
However, making a video ipod would work for me, when i tell people i make skate videos, they are alwsy like "i wanna see, make me a DVD" Dvd's are expensive and for a 20 minute video, id rather have my ipod somewhat drained then go and make a DVD...

kloan

SSMoy
There are plenty of people who would be fine with watching video on a small screen, look at Japan.

And besides, who says you have to watch on the screen? The whole point is the exact same reason the iPod Photo has video out! If you could store videos on your iPod, you can plug it into your TV and watch on your TV. I don't see why there would be more need for pictures than for video.. they go hand in hand.

But let's not stop there! Since it now has svideo, why not also include the visualizers?? I mean, why the freakin #### not??

Plug it into your TV, on your screen shows up things like artist, track, album art, etc etc... but then you could turn on the visualizers for that added touch... yeah, it's silly.. but there's already the complete hardware functionality of it, so why not? Why not go that extra step and include simple special features to make it an even better product? Apple always seems to fall short of perfection IMO.

If by some chance someone at Apple is reading this, GET YOUR #### TOGETHER APPLE.

Btw, I'd pretty much ignore what Steve [nut]Jobs says... he's pretty much proven we can't take his word anything.

DO NOT work around the word censor!

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug Gilmour

Intelligentleman
Website
www.last.fm
studogvetmed said:
Steve Jobs said during the event on the 26th.

There is limited content.
Watching videos on a small screen isn't fun
And a couple of other things.
Steve Jobs believes that Photo's was the direction to go. We'll see if he is right.
He also pulled out a video clip from Indiana Jones referring to the other companies "They are digging in the wrong place."

Time will tell though, I suppose. They may be waiting to see how other companies do and move from there. Not sure, though I know I wouldn't buy a video iPod. I'm barely able to pay attention to my iPod with just music when I am out and about.
Yes, he also said that they are too big, clunky, and heavy and he showed on the slideshow the size comparison between a 4G iPod and a Creative video player. I have a feeling that perhaps video incorporated in an iPod will be an option for the 5Gs... Perhaps something like this:

20GB - colour screen ($299)
40GB - colour screen ($399)
60GB - colour screen + video ($559)

It is possible... But perhaps some other design would need to be made for that as a 2" screen is not very fun to look at... Perhaps something similar to the Sony PSP's horizontal layout, or maybe make it where it is in a clamshell deisgn with a 4-5" screen on one piece and the standard iPod button layout with added buttons such as brightness control on the other piece... I personally am not interested in either Photos nor Video, on a portable unit, I just want music! Also perhaps finding a better use for the colour screen for music then just the ability to look at album art would be smart..

-Dan