iPOD Photo not recognized by XP; EVER!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kubu4

Here's what I have: Windows XP Home Edition SP2, USB2.0, iPOD Photo 30GB (purchased Sunday, Feb. 27, 2005) and a friggin' headache from dealing with this.

Unlike many other people, my iPOD Photo has NEVER been recognized by my computer. I've installed all the software, I've reset the iPOD numerous times (>25), and I've plugged/unplugged the iPOD from all of my USB ports (al 8 of them) numerous times all to no avail. My USB ports all function correctly with my other peripherals, including my 40GB iRIVER.

The computer makes two quick "dong" sounds when I plug the iPOD into the USB port(s), which indicates to me there is a problem, as it is usually a single "dong" sound when I plug in my other peripherals. Additionally, the iPOD is NOT recognized as a drive ANYWHERE on the computer, including under Disk Management. The only place I can find the iPOD "detected" on my computer is under the Device Manager. Here, it appears under "Other Devices" which is represented by a question mark icon with an exclamation point over it. When looking at properties for the iPOD here, it says that the drivers are not installed.

So, if anyone has ANY help or suggestions, I would be extremely willing to listen and try them. Otherwise, this sucker's going back to the store and I'm going to convince my girlfriend (who this iPOD was a gift for) that she needs to get an iRIVER like mine since it works right out of the box. My girlfriend thanks you in advance for ANY suggestions.

laynlow

Did you format the Ipod for windows by following the directions before trying to connect it normally?

You need to update/install drivers for any items showing a ?/! in yellow in that area. Download & install the iPod updater & iTunes from the Apple website & the drivers should install with these two programs. Post back & let me know how you fair.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download &

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download

Make sure you connect the iPod to the updater & do a restore.

Last edited:

kubu4

Well, as far as formatting for Windows, I am unable to do so because the computer doesn't recognize that the iPOD is connected to the computer. If you can do the formatting directly on the iPOD WITHOUT the use of the computer, PLEASE let me know.

Do you mean the updater that is part of the iPOD software? If so, I did try this, but since the computer doesn't recognize the presence of the iPOD, the updater interface doesn't either.

No matter which order I've tried (plug iPOD into computer then run updater OR start updater then plug iPOD into computer) nothing happens to the updater interface (i.e. neither of the buttons light up). Thus, I am unable to run the updater.

However, I WILL download the updater and iTUNES from the Apple website (which I actually did do at some point during my frustration) and try your suggestions.

If I am confused on what you are describing, please let me know. Thanks so much for taking the time to help. I REALLY do appreciate it. If you have more, please continue to send 'em my way. Thanks again!

Last edited:
After you download the updater & iTunes from the Apple site go back & see if that yellow ? is gone or still there. Post back.

jimmyjim

You could try turning on your iPod. Then press and hold the center button and menu button for about 10 seconds. This should reset your iPod. Then try connecting it to Windows.
That sorted out a problem I have, though was a little different.

laynlow

When I installed mine, I ran the software on the CD and waited until it asked for the ipod to be connected before I actually connected it. The software then detected a format was necessary.

I would not expect Windows to mount the drive until it was formatted.

kubu4

laynlow-

Yeah, I've done that as well. When it gets to the prompt that says something like "Connect iPOD to determine if it needs to be formatted" I've connected the iPOD and absolutely nothing happens (other than what I described in my first post regarding the sounds that XP makes when connecting a new peripheral). Actually, I shouldn't say nothing. The iPOD screen lights up, but I'm sure this is due to the fact that it is now receving power from the USB port(s). Thanks for the suggestion, but I've definitely tried that avenue as well.

I'm just so mind boggled about the whole thing. At least other people have had theirs work for awhile before XP gets weird OR they get the folder displayed with the exclamation point. Unfortunately for me I haven't encountered any of the situations that have defined fixes found on this or other forums. Thanks, though.

I'll definitely play around with it for another couple of hours tonight and post any or the clues that might help someone figure this out.

Last edited:

laynlow

Well, I am sorry I didn't have a better solution for you then. I hope someone else can get you running.

Good luck.

kubu4

Hey honeybee-

Alrighty, I'm at home and I've downloaded/installed iTunes and the newest iPOD updater software from Apple. Unfortunately, this has had no effect with regards to my computer recognizing the iPOD. This is by far one of the strangest things I've ever experienced. I've tried all of my USB ports and have even double checked my other peripherals, including my iRIVER and my USB Jump drive. Both show up immediately as drives.

The only other note that I can think of that I hadn't mentioned before is when I enter Disk Mode on the iPOD, the screen has a check mark and says "OK to disconnect" even if it isn't connected to anything (no AC adapter or computer).

Guess that's about all for now. I'll keep brainstorming and trying different things tonight, as the stores are all closed for the evening preventing me from exchanging this for a new iPOD. Thanks again for your help and I look forward to any additional input/advice that you might have.

kubu4

Alright, here's an additional update. I have somehow managed to get the PC to prompt me that there is new hardware when I plug the iPOD into the USB port. Don't ask me how because I'm not entirely sure. I was screwing around in the Device Manager (the only place on the computer where the computer "recognized" that the iPOD was connected). I think I chose to "uninstall driver" and after that the New Hardware Wizard pops up when I plug in the iPOD.

BUT, and this is a big but, the computer still doesn't recognize the iPOD! The New Hardware Wizard prompts me to look for the driver(s) for the iPOD. I have the Hardware Wizard search the CD-ROM that came with the iPOD as well as the newest version of iPOD Updater that I downloaded and installed earlier. After the Hardware Wizard searches these locations and others, it says that no driver(s) was found. Aaarrgghh! Man, I thought I was golden when only one "dong" came out of my speakers upon plugging the iPOD in.

I'm starting to think that there is something wrong with this iPOD (that was obvious I guess) due to the fact that Disk Mode ALWAYS displays "OK to disconnect". This seems odd to me. Oh well. Any thoughts? Thanks again!

kubu4

O.K., this could be my final post. I exchanged the iPOD for another one (exact same model) and, low and behold, I have the SAME problem! So, I guess I'll try to take the iPOD into work and see if it behaves the same way. However, I know the computers at work do not have USB 2.0 ports. And, tomorrow, I guess I'll contact Apple and see if they can help.

citizenmack

Same Problem

I am experiencing the EXACT same problems you are and it is driving me nuts. I have done everything you have. Please let me know if you figure this out.

I'm ready to return the ipod.

silent_death911

It isn't your iPod. It's your computer. Both of these are certain.

What you need to do it update the USB drivers on the computer itself.

Tell me the motherboard make or the model of the computer. I can get you those drivers. Once you get the drivers, you'll have to update those over the old USB drivers. Once that is complete, it should work fine.

Or...I'm putting emphasis on this one...

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU RAN A WINDOWS UPDATE?

Those will usually pick up the dead USB drivers. Just be aware, you can't blame the iPod on this one. It's definately your computer. There is a conflicting USB driver or maybe even the Mass Storage Device driver is out of wack. Just search around on http://www.microsoft.com on their driver page or whoever made your computer. They'll have drivers for those kinda things.

Or, you could get a Mac. Whatever works for you. :p

citizenmack

Don't know the ettiquette of jumping in on kubu4's thread, but I'm on a Sony VAOI laptop running Window XP 2002 Home Edition Service Pack 2 I have a 20G IPOD that I just received.

The laptop did not have USB2.o or Firewire, so I went to CompUSA and got a USB 2.0/IEEE 1394a card, that has 2 USB 2.0 pors a 6-pin FireWire and a 4-pin Fire Wire... it's installed correctly

It will not recognize the ipod as a device. I've installed and unstalled it as a device, have let the computer search for it, and tried to install drivers - to no avail

Windows is set to update daily

I know its not a new laptop...and I'd love to get a Mac... but we're trying to buy a house in a ridiculous housing market... the Mac will come post-house purchase :) I

Should I go out and purchase the switching power adapter?

I have installed and uninstalled itunes and the ipod software from both the enclosed CD and the apple website... The machine won't recognize the device.

THANK YOU!

kubu4

silent_death911 & citizenmack-

OK, you both have provided some intriguing information. First, silent_death, I have Windows Update setup to automatically check for new updates. I *believe* the most recent update came a week and a half ago, but, as usual, it was only a security update. I did search Microsoft's and Sony's website for updates when I began to have this problem for anything related to the USB drivers, but I came up with nothing. I will attempt to find something again. I will also look into my motherboard and see what make/model it is. The computer model is listed later in this post. Thanks for the advice/info.

Just out of curiousity, why do you think it is a computer issue and not an iPOD issue? By my reasoning, all the other USB devices that I use on my computer function properly and are immediately recognized by my computer (including another 40GB MP3 player). The only one that is not is the iPOD. Thus, based on my reasoning, the iPOD is at fault, as it is the ONLY USB-based device that my computer is unable to recognize.

Unfortunately, the chances of me getting a Mac are 0%. My current computer is quite well setup and is less than 3 years old. I'm running 2.4 GHz P4 with 1.0 GB RAM. All the USB ports are 2.0. Whatever the case, this sucker should be ready to handle new stuff for a little while longer before needing replacement. And, I obviously cannot justify a new computer purchase solely to get a $350 device to work.

Citizenmack, your post is interesting because I have a Sony VAIO (specifically Sony VAIO PCV-RZ10CG) desktop. Now, I'm starting to wonder if it's a Sony build issue. This seems odd to me, but I can't eliminate it as a possibility. I will investigate further silent_death's recommendations and I will also contact Apple tomorrow and see if I can get any help. Thanks again for your insight into this issue. If anything changes, I will post to this thread again. It's definitely comforting (even though unfortunate) to finally find out that someone else is also having this problem.

Last edited:

citizenmack

we are not alone

kubu4,

I don't know if this will make you feel better or worse, but we are definitely not alone! There is an entire 17 page thread devoted to this subject.

I created a notepoad doc that gleans some of the suggestions. Don't have to heart to try any more today, as I was up into the wee hours of the morn trying some of them... i could email it to you,

I really gave up when I uninstalled everything and just tried to set it up using the USB1.1 port... something happened and I got the dreaded blue screen... i hope i have not fried this laptop

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54039&perpage=15&highlight=format ipod&pagenumber=17

ZManCartFan

Kubu-

I would agree that it sounds like a computer issue. But my guess is that it's a combination of your USB drivers and an incomplete install of the iPod drivers. You've never said if the first time you attached your iPod was actually PRIOR to installing the software from the original CD which would have included the necessary drivers. But I'm thinking that sounds plausible. Either way, I think you can fix it:

1. Through Add/Remove Programs uninstall everything iPod related (iTunes, iPod Updater, etc.).

2. With the iPod unattached, delete / uninstall / remove the yellow exclamation point entry in Device Manager (do not just "update driver.")

3. Again, before you ever attach the iPod again, go ahead and delete / uninstall / remove every entry under the USB section of Device Manager. Don't worry; Windows will automatically reinstall the whole thing on the next reboot. It's a quick and easy way to reinstall the USB drivers in Windows.

If applicable, I would unplug any of your other USB devices during this stage just to be sure that Windows doesn't get all confused trying to reinstall drivers for the USB system and all of your peripherals at the same time. Once the USB system has reinstalled itself, it should be a matter of just replugging each device; each individual peripheral's drivers shouldn't be effected. But wait until you get your iPod working before you do attach the other devices.

4. Reboot. After Windows has finished reinstalling the USB subsystem, reboot again. Then insert the iPod original CD and follow along. Try attaching the iPod when it asks you to. Hopefully this time you'll be starting with a clean slate and the install process will go smoothly. Oh, it wouldn't hurt to do a reset on the iPod (menu/center button) before you attach it. That way the iPod's starting with a clean slate, too.

5. Once the iPod has successfully installed (and reformatted), then reattach any of your other peripherals.

It's worth a shot, and it's easier than it sounds. Based on your messages, it sounds like you know your way around. Let us know how it goes.

kubu4

ZManCartFan-

Cool, I'll definitely give it a try and post on how the result(s) turn out. I had done pretty much everything you had said (uninstalling iTUNES/iPOD Updater, uninstalling the iPOD driver through Device Manager etc.). I'll go ahead and uninstall the USB drivers as well.

Additionally, I have some more "developments". I contacted Apple this morning and they took me throught a bunch of things (like disabling most of the startup items and whatnot) and nothing changed. However, I brought the iPOD with me to work and installed the software and plugged the iPOD in when prompted (to see if it needed formatting). Well, of course it WORKED! But, this does me no good since this is a work computer. However, the iPOD is now formatted for Windows. So, my fingers are crossed that this will allow the iPOD to work on my computer at home.

Thank you very much for your help. I'll definitely post back tonight to let people know how this turns out.

owningtennis

Banned
i have the same problem... been messing with it for a few hours and it connects and then dissconnects really fast.. i plugged into my usb 1.1 and it seems to be working. i hope.