iPod not responding

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bigjohnny7

Hi.

Just grabbed my iPod out of the dock and as usual the screen lit up with the main menu. However, it's stuck like that. Nothing on the click wheel is working (including holding play/pause to turn it off), I've tried redocking it and I've also tried to connect it to iTunes (it goes ding-dong as usual but then doesn't appear in the source column).

Right now, it's just lit up with the main menu. Should I just wait for the battery to run out and then recharge it (is this safe?) or is there something else I can do?

I'm on manual sync so I don't really want to erase everything and then start again...

Please help!:confused:

Sephiroth

iPod FrEaK
Your i pod is stuck. Don't fret, i pods are just like computers. A reset should solve your problem. To reset, Hold MENU+CENTER for about 20 seconds. And tell us if it works.

bigjohnny7

I think it's fixed itself.

It came back with a flurry of activity (probably from when I was pressing all of the buttons in sheer panic).

It's now playing and all the functions work fine except it still won't turn off and iTunes still won't recognise it. I might give it 20 minutes to see if it works itself out.

If I reset as you say, will all my music dissappear?

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
During a reset all your music is left alone. It's like rebooting a computer, a few customized settings may be lost (i.e. a current on the go playlist, playback position of some podcasts/audiobooks, perhaps date/time).

Sephiroth

iPod FrEaK
A reset is just like resetting your computer. It will not do any harm to your data on your i pod. In fact, you might have to use the reset function quite often later on.

If your i pod still acts funny after a reset, then you might have to try a full restore, in which case, you will lose all your music. But here, i think it is just a small little problem, and a reset must most probably solve the issue.

bigjohnny7

Thanks - I've done that and it seemed to work. Everything came back on line and nothing was missing (the date and time were correct, etc).

So now everything is working again except it will not turn off. The play / pause button is working fine when playing (to play and pause) but when I hold it down, it doesn't turn the iPod off.

Any ideas?

kornchild2002

Now I would suggest that you complete a full restore using the latest version of iTunes. Restoring your iPod will erase EVERYTHING on it so make sure your music, photos, videos, etc. are all on your computer. Restoring your iPod should fix the problem.

Just remember that you cannot turn off your iPod when it is reading off of the hard drive. So you won't be able to shut down your iPod if you just loaded an album, artist, playlist, video, etc. You have to let the hard drive spin down in order for you to turn off your iPod.