iPod nano 7th: how to copy videos or podcasts?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mickael28

Hi guys,

My first experience with apple products and itunes. I've received an ipod nano 7th as a gift today and it's been driving me crazy for hours...

Basically, I just want to copy a bunch of videos (.m4v files) and video podcasts as well, but when I try to synchronize them with the device itunes gives me the error:
* item was not copied because it cannot be played on this ipod.

Any idea how I can transfer those files?

Many thanks!

mickael28

I finally found an option on itunes itself that said 'create new version - create ipod version' and that seems to create videos that are possible to be transferred to the ipod.

However, my computer (which is an i5) took one night to have that job done??!, anyone knows a different programme that makes this conversions quicker by any chance?

cjmnews

Staff member
There are lots of conversion programs and web sites out there that can do this.

A lot of people use Handbrake. It's free and seems to do the job. It can also be given a queue of videos to transcode and work on them while you are away.

The conversion time will depend on the original codec and the pain it takes to change to the new format. How busy the system is will affect the time to transcode. You may want to disable other processes like background backups, virus scans, torrent feeds, etc. Older systems will take longer than new ones.

There are also websites that convert for you. You upload the video to them, and then download the converted video. This removes your system from being used for the conversion, which could be faster, but finding one that has an iPod video setting may be difficult.

Some video podcasts have multiple feeds to accommodate different devices. You may also want to look at that. Maybe there is an iPod video feed.

mickael28

There are lots of conversion programs and web sites out there that can do this.

A lot of people use Handbrake. It's free and seems to do the job. It can also be given a queue of videos to transcode and work on them while you are away.
Thanks very much, just tried that one and it's a looot quicker than the default itunes conversion, it seems it's at least 10 times faster but I think that it's even faster... no idea how whatever that software is doing has not been incorporated in the official itunes, but... good to know about it now :)

Cheers!!!