iPod Nano 7th Generation Possible Hacks

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

iForgot

Have any luck making something happen besides moving the apps around?

TheVividYoshi

I'm gonna try to change some icons from the iPod Nano 7g rounded icons to the iPhone 4 icons. If I get anywhere, you will be the first to know!

TheVividYoshi

New question arrizes

Err... how do I extract the contents of osos.fw? Extract2g doesn't do it, and I can't mount it with anything...

TheVividYoshi

Darn. Guess I should try Sn0wbreeze or Redsn0w for putting an unsigned packed .IPSW on our Nano. Converting new ringtones to M4A should be pretty straightforward... if I wasn't on a PC :/
BTW, can you PM me a link to iRecovery? My make command broke, and I can't find any trace of a binary :/

cola5000

I have no use for figuring out any of this.... hoping to do it if you guys succeed

I NEED NEW BACKROUNDS :D

MGMx2Plus2

Some Spare Time

Hey fella's so I've just stumbled upon this and figure I'd give it a shot. I have a 7th gen Nano and would like to fully customize it in the manners similar to rooting an android. I've had some experience with customROM work on the android and I've also had experience with customization on iPhone3 (via jail break, then became more advanced). Lastly, I've worked with firmware and lpwl files (sorry if I have those letters out of place) for customization and firmware modding when limewire was a huge thing.

I'll let you know what I find.

TheVividYoshi

Hey fella's so I've just stumbled upon this and figure I'd give it a shot. I have a 7th gen Nano and would like to fully customize it in the manners similar to rooting an android. I've had some experience with customROM work on the android and I've also had experience with customization on iPhone3 (via jail break, then became more advanced). Lastly, I've worked with firmware and lpwl files (sorry if I have those letters out of place) for customization and firmware modding when limewire was a huge thing.

I'll let you know what I find.
Sadly, iPhone and the iPod Nano 7G don't work in quite that way, you can't just run SU and install it into /sys/bin/, Apple had put many more things in to prevent jailbreaks. Although if Apple devices were easier to jailbreak, and jailbreak developers were allowed even MORE development options, more useful tools would come out for Cydia. In the end, Apple would get more sales, but that's just not how Apple works...

Still haven't gotten far (I got Windows 8.1 Preview, does that count?). Also I need help packing the IPSW back up, if the method requires Linux then I can do it. I am trying to replace the ringtones, but so far I haven't even tried using Snowbreeze to flash back to the first firmware. Truthfully, I haven't thought about that until now, so BRB to go test it out.

Oh and sorry for the long post. Basically, I still got nothing...

TheVividYoshi

I just got a new Mac, so I am going to try to dig deeper. I feel like we are getting closer to a jailbreak, if we can somehow find and decompile one of the apps (Settings app would be my target), and see if we can program a Cydia-like app...

TheVividYoshi

I wish there were some way to get OSOS.fw to use a modified RSRC.fw, I want to try replacing some of the SilverImages from the 7g with ones from the 6g or the iPhone and try to boot from it. If I get anywhere at all (still trying to build custom iRecovery, it is not working too well), you will be the first to know!

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I am 10. I don't understand why you can't work on this more. This is a learning experience for me. I want to get this to work, but I need help. Please work on it more.:shake:

kornchild2002

You can't control what people can and can't do. As of now, it is impossible to hack the 7G iPod nano. There isn't anything that you or others can do about that. So please don't shake your head at people who have tried things that didn't work.

cola5000

Its Hard Work

I personally don't code, but it seems to be an extremely hard job. A team of FOUR professional coders took 4 months to release a jailbreak of the iphone on 7.0.4. Plus this thread seems to have died down a little bit..

kjwing

hey, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I made some progress on this and I thought you guys might be interested. I ran SilverImagesDB.LE.bin through TrIDNET and according to it, SilverImagesDB.LE.bin is a DBF file. To quote wikipedia, "The .dbf file is widely used in applications needing a simple format to store structured data", so we can assume that TrIDNET is correct and it isn't a false positive. I renamed SilverImagesDB.LE.bin to SilverImagesDB.LE.dbf, and than using DBF Manager I attempted to open it. It worked, proving that SilverImagesDB.LE IS in fact a DBF file, but it required a password. I've tried several obvious keywords ('Silver', 'Nano', 'Snowfox', etc) but all of them return a divide by zero error. Anyone have any ideas? Some screenshots are attached.

Attachments

Zach9312

I tried opening Silver Images in notepad and it brought something up before it quit from becoming unresponsive.

TheVividYoshi

kjwing, that is awesome! Apple probably has it encrypted, and I don't think a password is what we need... At least we are making progress in getting the files open, and I'm working on custom ringtones right now.