iPod Nano 7th Generation Possible Hacks

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Neverfa11ing

Found this information on freemyipod.org to update one of my past posts.

appl - Apple logo for booting

bdhw - Bad hardware image

bdsw - Bad software image (Use iTunes to restore)

lbat - Low battery image

chrg - Same as lbat but showing that the iPod is charging

These files are practically useless to any hacking, so these won't be useful to anything really. Just a bunch of images.

fv00 and gpfw both look like their not much more than useless because they're smaller than the images.

So it seems that diag, disk, and osos are the only useful files for a hack. Rsrc is fun to mess with but nothing is going to come from there.

lesnico

So it seems that diag, disk, and osos are the only useful files for a hack. Rsrc is fun to mess with but nothing is going to come from there.
Yes, but it'd be usefull to replace all the horrible wallpapers in our Ipod, but for that, we need to know how to pack and unpack some files, like SilverDB files (.bin) which have all of these pictures !

We need some help :) !!

Neverfa11ing

Yes we do need some help on unpacking those, also in addition to the images in SilverDB file we can change the appl.fw image to some other boot logo as well. Same goes for a few other firmware files.
First thing we need to see is if we can repack this firmware and have it still work.

lesnico

So, first of all, we need some tools to :

- Unpack and repack firmwares
- open and preview some files, and edit them

So, we need to work with our favorite hexadecimal editor, but I'm not a programmer.

BUT, I have a little idea, I know people who are "romhackers", it means that they, for example, translated some games from English to french. So they need to study all files and make some tools for it. Maybe I could ask for some help to them ?

Neverfa11ing

Those two points you made are absolutely correct, repacking firmwares and editing some files will be the two most important things. If you know those guys see if they can help that would be awesome.

Zyxxeil

Repacking and loading custom firmware.

Im not sure if its even possible to repack this as apple signs it and once you unpack it you break the signature and itunes rejects the firmware, anyways there is a way to bypass this by putting the ipod in a state that allows this kind of custom firmware.

Im just thinking of the top of my head since Seas0npass does this, the problem is that iOS devices are able to enter a pwned dfu state because of the limera1n exploit, not entirely sure on the ipod nano. Seems like the ipod nano shares some structure of iOS devices thats why im making this assumption.

Or i could be wrong and apple doesn't sign the package, at least we are making progress.

BTW, HxD reads the silverimages file just fine and saves it to.

Edit (Again), what we need now is something that will extract the silverimage file and repack it back again. I found this tweet "bit . ly / 13cwYhh"

Last edited:

Neverfa11ing

Nice research Zyxxeil. I know for fact that the iPod Nano can go into DFU mode and am very sure it can go into Pwned DFU by using Nan0hail which is built to work with the iPod Nano 6g but also works fine with the 7g. At least putting it into a Pwned DFU. Download link for Nan0hail is here https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnwxMzM3ZjB4MzF5aDR4eDA0fGd4OjJlZWFjM2ZhYjNjOWIxM2I. I really hope we can find a way to unpack the SilverImagesDB file.

Edit: I just sent out an email to Steven Troughton-Smith to see if he can help us with some of this. I'll let you guys know what will come of this.

Last edited:

lesnico

I send an email to a friend of mine who's romhacker and so he'll try to see what he can do. I'll keep you, guys, in touch !

n1kn4k

Just saying, win32diskimager does not work to write this img, it just makes the usb unreadable. How to do this with dd?

n1kn4k

I am so sorry I posted twice about the same thing, I didn't see that there was a second page and i thought that someone had deleted my post. I am in the process of installing a bucketload of os's on my crappy pc (windows 7, ubuntu, fedora, fuduntu, puppy linux and slax). After, I will try and unpack the img in linux. Do you just double click or what?

n1kn4k

Ok, made the computer, installed ubuntu.. but now extract 2g doesn't want to work anymore. here is what i have written in the terminal:
w00dp4cker@epic-pc:~/Desktop$ extract2g -A Firmware.MSE
extract2g: command not found

Neverfa11ing

Make sure you're in the right directory and that you made the extract2g file. Don't just use extract2g.h or extract2g.c to run this. Btw I can start doing things on Linux again soon because this weekend I'll have Ubuntu running on my computer.

n1kn4k

I cn olnly get extract2g to work on windows, but thats fine. For the dd command does it matter what is in the folder, or does it have to be just the fw files