iPod nano 5th gen won't connect to computer

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

baylay22

I've seen threads on this topic before but I never saw any solutions. I got my iPod from school (Institute for Integrative Nutrition), it came preloaded with my classes but it won't connect to computers, iTunes, what have you, because you're supposed to use it for school. The issue is I'm done with school and I would like to use it as a normal iPod now (especially since they have their own app with all this information that I can access on my iPhone). When I try to reset it from the iPod itself (holding down the menu and middle button) it restarts and then says "Loading Notes", so I'm pretty sure that all of the information for school is in the Notes section and it's somehow stuck in the notes section. Is it possible to unlock this feature? It seems impossible for me to figure out how to get it to connect with iTunes on my computer and I wouldn't know how to unlock it from the iPod itself since just restarting it doesn't work.
It seems an impossible feat but I figured it was worth a try to ask instead of just throwing it away.

pthomas006

Maybe it will help you connect iPod to computer easily:
1. Download and install software(iPod to Computer Transfer ).
2. Open the software and familiarize yourself with its interface.
3. From the menu, select Preferences. Select Copying.
4. Connect the iPod to your computer if you haven't already done so.
5. In the Source side-bar, click Library. Unlike iTunes, iPod to Computer Transfer uses Library to refer to your iPod's collection of music. After you click Library, you should see the files on your iPod.
6.Click the Copy button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

jaycewebb

Are you sure it is an iPod?
Does it look like these: Apple - Support - iPod
There are some fakes that look similar.

What happens when you plug it into your PC with iTunes?
Does it show up as a drive?
What's in the drive?

Have you looked at restoring it: Restoring iPod to factory settings
-Sorry for Gravedigging-

It is an IPod Nano 5th Generation, Not a fake.

Nothing happens when I plug it in.
I have the problem :p

Also, if I have the plug half in my PC, it will charge but not connect.
When I plug it in fully the charge icon flashes on then off, and doesn't charge.

Last edited:

jaycewebb

The problem is I already tried the apple support, nothing from them works, i can capture a video if you'd like.

cjmnews

Staff member
Have you tried a different cable, and USB port?
You have the iPod connected to the computer with no USB hubs in between?

Is your iTunes library on an external hard drive on a low letter?

Is there a yellow exclamation point in Device Manager when the iPod is plugged in?

jaycewebb

I've tried 3 different cables and 3 different PCs, Same result.
My iTunes is on my C: drive.
I can use it just fine but, every time I restart the device, it gets forced into the notes with no way out.
No yellow exclamation point in device manager :/

cjmnews

Staff member
It really sounds like the iPod needs to be restored.

I would suggest trying to put the iPod into disk mode and restore it.

What version of Windows are you using?
Are there any unknown devices in the USB section of Device Manager? Do you see Apple Mobile Device or iPod in the USB section of Device Manager when the iPod is plugged in?

Lolzdecap

This may sound stupid but have you plugged in the 30-pin to usb into your computer?
I forget many times.

manolo

So just like the OP of this post, I also have the same exact ipod from Institute for Integrative Nutrition.

Every time I time it on, it goes straight to loading notes and shows a bunch of audio files...

So far here what I tried...

Plugged it to my computer, it does not come up on my "My Computer" nor on Itunes... To verify my connection is good, I connected my Ipod Touch and it is seen. So that eliminate connection problem.

So I tried going into Disk Mode. When I get into it shows, a white screen titled disk mode with a check mark in the middle and message says "ok to disconnect"

I also went into the device manager, my computer does not see the nano but it does sees my touch. Im running windows xp.

Is there anything else that can be done?

cjmnews

Staff member
I bet that they had some sort of custom driver installed on your PC when you first used it.

We probably need to remove that driver.

Start->Control Panel, Device Manager, open the Universal Serial Bus Controllers (USB) section.
Click on View->Show Hidden Devices.

Take a screen shot and put the result into Paint or Word.
Plug in the iPod, go back to the Device Manager and take a second screen shot of the USB section, put this in a second copy of Paint/Word.

Compare the two to see if there is a change.

The item in the second screen shot that is different is the iPod. On mine it is called Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.

Right click it and choose Properties
Click on Update Driver
Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
Click on Apple iPod USB Driver if it is there.
If it is not there uncheck Show compatible hardware
Click on Apple, Inc. on the left
Click on Apple iPod USB Driver on the right.
You should see the device added, and show up in iTunes.

If you are missing the driver, you could try downloading one. I can't vouch for the site, but here is a link for an older one:
DriverMax - USB Universal Serial Bus - Apple, Inc. - Download Apple iPod USB Driver Computer Driver Update
Then repeat the steps above to add it.

Now if there is no difference in the screen shots, you may have an issue with your Registry
A computer that is running Windows XP cannot detect a USB flash drive, an Apple iPod, or an external hard disk drive
Once that is done, try it all again.

manolo

I tried going to the device manager and seeing the difference between before and after. No difference...

Could it be possible that this ipod is encrypted? That no other pc or mac can access it but the one pc or mac that originally loaded the audiobooks can...

As soon you turn it on, quickly goes to the files as it was programed to behave that way.