Ipod Model MB029LL, Version 1.1.2

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

martinfb111

My daughter purchased the above-labelled Ipod back in the day, brand new. After college, she moved away and left the Ipod in our house. It sat for years collecting dust. I'm not one to see a tool that could be used, lying around collecting dust, so I booted it up through my computer and started an Itunes account. I've got 849 songs loaded into it so far and the memory far exceeds whatever I've yet to download. However, I'm from an older generation and I like to listen to music through speakers, not ear buds or ear phones. Question: Will this model Ipod drive a small, external speaker via an aux cord; this Ipod is not Bluetooth enabled. If so, any ideas on where I can purchase the aux cord and speaker? Thanks, in advance, for the help.

cjmnews

Staff member
Nice iPod Classic 80 GB you have there.

Yes it can drive speakers with a 3.5mm jack. They should be available at the usual online and physical shopping places. Be sure they have a 3.5mm jack connection or auxiliary input and it can play it. Check if the speaker has the cable included or not, if not get a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable any length you want, to connect it.

You will have to turn the volume up quite high on the iPod to get it to work.

mbr12

Your iPod will not drive unpowered speakers. Powered speakers, like computer speakers, will work fine. You need a stereo mini plug on one end to got the headphone jack, and the other end needs the connectors for whatever you're plugging it into. Computer speakers usually have a mini plug already. If you want to use the ipod with a receiver or home audio system, the plug will need to be l/r RCA plugs, called a Y adapter. Any place that sells electronics will have it.

cjmnews

Staff member
That depends on the speakers. I own some no power speakers that can be driven by an iPod, they don’t get very loud, but they do work. They are old, I used to drive them with portable tape player.

Most modern speakers are powered to give better sound.

mbr12

Trying to drive unpowered speakers with an iPod is like trying to tow an 80,000 lb trailer with a Pinto.
Just about all speakers made to connect to computers are powered. Very few speakers made to connect to home sound systems have their own power supplies.