• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

iPod mini to move entirely to flash and color

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

iMacc

'' Mr 10 Posts A Day ''
Website
www.last.fm
iPod mini to move entirely to flash and color

Taken from engadget...
We didn't really think they were going to do it, but it looks like perhaps Apple took Samsung up on their offer after all (or someone, anyway). Later this month we can apparently expect Apple to debut 4GB, 6GB, and 8GB flash iPod minis, which will only be 75-80% of their current size. Apparently the screen's also going color too, but will shrink about 0.2-inches from its current size—prices should remain steady, but the 8 gigger could cost $299.

Thinksecret article:http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0509ipod.html

ighost

That sounds right. Looks like a good move in the right direction. Keep it simple and just upgrade the screen, storage, and size/weight. No need to add extra capabilities on a mini. Too bad 8GB is too small for most of us.

ghost

bhaalspawn

That's going to have a hell of a lot of battery life. About 40 hours or something ridiculous like that. The time is approaching when Apple may split the ipod line into the mini (music) and the larger ipod (music,video etc) As soon as 20GB of flash becomes affordable (this time next year at the current rate) then I expect that to happen.

mesostinky

New Flash minis coming out?

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0509ipod.html

Aren't rumors great? Although I wouldn't want to go much smaller the battery life must be fantastic. Personally I just got a 6GB mini. Anyone know the policy for returning your product to apple if a newer more improved version comes out?

RiCO.M

Not your ordinary Lounger
I also just bought a mini (4GB) and was wondering the exact same thing, if you can return your iPod if a better one comes out. (I hope so!!) [If its true!]

Nickster

GODZILLA!!!111oneone
Website
thenickster.net
I don't think they will make the 8GB cost the same as a 20GB, either the 4GB and 6GB is going to see a drop in price or we are going to see a more expensive 20GB (could be video) which would be unfortunate considering they don't have to many mid-range solutions.

wco81

I don't know about 40 hours. Shuffle doesn't get that much but presumably the Mini will have bigger batteries.

However, that color screen will probably suck juice down.

jonmadhash

YOU WANT SOME OF THIS?™
Meh. I'd rather have longer battery life, a larger screen and a better form factor than these ones described in the rumor. Besides, why would I want a super thin mini, that would feel like crap in my hand.

mjmoonwalker

Website
eminemjamesuk.com
This is a gradual technological advancement when it comes to this. Flash drives are the future, whether you like it or not. They will hold more and are more efficient in doing so. Color is also the future. We've already seen advancement with the full sized iPods. So it's not a secret that this is going to happen. Rumour or truth, it's going to happen sooner or later.

the_commanche

Windows Reigns Supreme
Yeah, it would feel like a very rigid piece of paper.

Not my opinion of ergonomic.

Rico, flash isnt going to make a damn difference.

Rod Smith

DoNotEatShuffle said:
so the 8GB version is gonna cost the same as the 20GB iPod. what?
Great thread. All good comments. 8GB is at least four days of music without repeating. That's a lot. Flash drive maybe better sounding. Flash drive is more durable, lighter and much less battery draining. If they keep current battery size, 40 hours of flash drive is possible. Slimmer, lighter, plays longer away from an outlet. More memory than most people could use except for storage. Twenty gig holds less than half my library, eight vs. twenty isn't important issue in my case. Play time much more important. Why carry ten days of music with six hour battery? Trips? Docks? Sure but for personal stereo, I want play ALL day, no charger. I'm mobile, no cube, no car.

Last edited:

Dougboy

smaller in size, bigger in capacity, and colour screen? taht sounds awesome.

and i dont think u can exchange old product if new one comes out. Or else i would have given back my greyscale 20gb and take a colour 20gb

mesostinky

jonmadhash said:
Meh. I'd rather have longer battery life, a larger screen and a better form factor than these ones described in the rumor. Besides, why would I want a super thin mini, that would feel like crap in my hand.
'

Why do you assume that it won't have longer battery life? I don't understand how a flash drive wouldn't have longer life than the hard drive version.

And where is everyone getting the idea that it will be razor thin like paper or that it's somehow going to be unergonomic? Do you really think Apple will screw them up that badly?

These seem like a lot of assumptions and people being completely negative for no reason. Especially considering its not even out yet. Is there something I'm missing here?

Lighter, more battery life, more reliable due to lack of a moving drive, and a color screen seem like good ideas to me. Nobody wants to see it devolve into something crappy, especially Apple. Trust me, I am the LAST person you will find cheerleading for Apple products. The day my almost new 60GB iPod gets over 3hrs battery life I'll s**t myself.

btw doughboy, my 6GB is new from last week sitting in the box. I was just wondering if I bought it in within say 30 days but it was still new could I get the new version etc. I'm sure a quick call to the apple store would answer the question but I figured I'd ask here anyway.

Last edited:

jonmadhash

YOU WANT SOME OF THIS?™
mesostinky said:
'

Why do you assume that it won't have longer battery life? I don't understand how a flash drive wouldn't have longer life than the hard drive version.

And where is everyone getting the idea that it will be razor thin like paper or that it's somehow going to be unergonomic? Do you really think Apple will screw them up that badly?

These seem like a lot of assumptions and people being completely negative for no reason. Especially considering its not even out yet. Is there something I'm missing here?

Lighter, more battery life, more reliable due to lack of a moving drive, and a color screen seem like good ideas to me. Nobody wants to see it devolve into something crappy, especially Apple. Trust me, I am the LAST person you will find cheerleading for Apple products. The day my almost new 60GB iPod gets over 3hrs battery life I'll s**t myself.

btw doughboy, my 6GB is new from last week sitting in the box. I was just wondering if I bought it in within say 30 days but it was still new could I get the new version etc. I'm sure a quick call to the apple store would answer the question but I figured I'd ask here anyway.
Read the article! Geez. And read the first post too. It's pure speculation. And I don't want a smaller mini, I had a shuffle and it died because of it's size, Besides, the thickness of the mini is barely Fat enough for me to use properly. Have a nice day.

russgiro88

iObsessed
It still seems like a bad idea to me. It will be great in the short term because it will be smaller, thinner iPods with greater battery life. But in the long term, it's not so great. The capacity of the mini HDs is increasing faster than the capacity of the flash modules. They aren't going to be able to get a 10 or 12 gb flash modules in the the near future while they would with a mini HD. To me it seems like it would make the iPod mini take longer between revamps. Who knows though, maybe Samsung will kick their R&D group into high gear with Apple on board.

To me it seems like it would be a better fit for the shuffle line. Add a screen and make a 2 and 4gb flash player. Then bump up the mini to 6 and 8gb.

talksalot81

russgiro88 said:
It still seems like a bad idea to me. It will be great in the short term because it will be smaller, thinner iPods with greater battery life. But in the long term, it's not so great. The capacity of the mini HDs is increasing faster than the capacity of the flash modules. They aren't going to be able to get a 10 or 12 gb flash modules in the the near future while they would with a mini HD. To me it seems like it would make the iPod mini take longer between revamps. Who knows though, maybe Samsung will kick their R&D group into high gear with Apple on board.

To me it seems like it would be a better fit for the shuffle line. Add a screen and make a 2 and 4gb flash player. Then bump up the mini to 6 and 8gb.
Speaking as someone who has been involved in R&D with technology associated to flash, you are really counting chickens assuming anything about future capacity. There are technologies out there which could offer enormous increases in flash capacity, it is simply a case of time until one of them moves out of the research lab.

NawdaKh

jonmadhash said:
Read the article! Geez. And read the first post too. It's pure speculation. And I don't want a smaller mini, I had a shuffle and it died because of it's size, Besides, the thickness of the mini is barely Fat enough for me to use properly. Have a nice day.
Either way, there's still a huge negative feedback from all these GOOD things that they're doing with the mini.

Speculation or not, there's still negative comments.

I, personally, don't have any problems with the mini's thickness. I don't know why making it thinner would cause such a fuss, and my hands are huge.

Have a nice day, as you would say. :D

betrayal

Flash is just simply new technology. Its fast, simple, and easy to use. Heck, its carefree. However, carefree never comes without a fee, and that is something Apple will have to think about. The 4gb flash Apple bought from Samsung - who knows! I thought they would use it in one of their premium plus iTunes phone. We'll see.