iPod mini overheating?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

wormyrocks

Hello,

I have a quick question about an iPod mini.

I salvaged an iPod mini with a dead battery, intending to replace the battery and use it for music again.

Once I purchased a new battery and turned on the device, it began to charge and sync - however, after about 15 minutes of charging the device became very hot and the screen began to turn black. Naturally I killed power to the device.

It seems to have charged somewhat, and the battery seems to hold a charge. I can play music without the device heating up, but I don't want to risk starting a fire every time I want to use this iPod.

Is the issue a defective battery, or must the logic board be replaced? How should I best go about fixing this problem? I want to spend as little additional money as possible - I already replaced the battery and the click wheel, and I'm planning on removing the hard drive and replacing it with an SSD, so I'm already a little over budget.

Thanks!

Madfonzy

Ah my very first iPod! After six months the battery gave up, replaced with refurb unit under warranty. This one died after 7 months. I kept it going by replacing the battery myself several times. Also installed a SSD to increase the size. In the end it was so beaten up, small capacity and the battery was always a problem. I gave up on it and got a classic.

If the battery is heating up quickly it means it is shorting somewhere, most likely the battery itself.
My suggestion is to get to cut your losses and get a nano instead. Those units were not that reliable.