iPod in recovery mode, isn't even recognized by iTunes, more...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

roottoor

Well, I've been searching Google for three days now to no avail. My iPod Touch 3G iOS 4.0.1 went into restore mode while trying to copy music from it to my computer. After several attempts to stop this loop through methods described in this forum and elsewhere, on both a mac and a pc, I did a restore. Well, the restore showed it to work, but it is still in restore mode (at least I think its restore mode, it's showing the usb cable and iTunes logo). I can't change the drive letter on my pc since it's not even reading the iPod, and on my mac iTunes simply shows the iPod by only gives the option to eject it.

Did I mention from this day forward I hate Apple and iPod? jk, kind of!

I've tried using iRecovery on Windows, jailbreaking it on my mac, and wanting to even restore again on both, but none of the programs read the iPod as being connected, but all my usb drivers are working fine.

roottoor

Well, that's a no go too. I put it in DUF mode, did the whole restore thing to 4.1, but after the iPod restarted, it gave me the same usb and iTunes logo background as it did before.

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
Okay, it sounds like it's actually restoring properly, but may be getting stuck on the iTunes Activation process. All iOS devices need to go through an activation where iTunes must contact Apple's servers to "authorize" the device.

Ironically, my father called me yesterday with almost the exact same problem after upgrading his iPhone to iOS 4.1. In his case, rebooting his PC fixed the issue.

I'd also suggest temporarily disabling any application firewalls that may be preventing iTunes from communicating with Apple's servers.

roottoor

Ironically or ordained?! I'll give it a shot later and let you know what happens. Thanks

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
Go into your Windows Control Panel and look for the "Windows Firewall" or "Windows Security" icon and you should be able to disable it from there. This assumes that you're using the built-in firewall in Windows XP. If you're using third-party software such as Zonealarm or Norton Internet Security you will have to disable it through those specific applications.

anmont

Well, there used to be an odd problem where during a failed music transfer your phone could be placed into recovery mode. It was the result of a corrupted itunes database. the steps to fix that are below if the problem happens again. Also here are the steps to getting out of recovery mode.

Getting your device out of Recovery Mode

1. In Recovery Mode Screen (it shows a cable and a CD looking iTunes icon), press and hold power + home for about 10 seconds, this will shut the screen down. Let go of buttons!
2. With the screen dark, press and hold power+home buttons again. This time, the Apple logo will light up for about 8 seconds then again it will be powered down. (I noticed this round of power down, it seems to be a little different with the way the screen shuts off, hard to explain). Let go of buttons!
3. Once again, press and hold power+home buttons (only this time, you'll mimic the entering DFU mode like pattern) by counting to about 8 seconds then release the power button. Keep holding down the home button until about 20 seconds then let go. During this time, the Apple logo should reappear but don't get distracted, keep up with the counting. By the time you let go all buttons 20 seconds later, the Apple logo should stay lit and it will boot into regular mode shortly after.

Fixing Itunes Library

1. You simply re-create the iTunes library, as discussed in Apple Knowledge Base article #93313
How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists.
2. If that doesn't work you will need to delete and then re-import the library using the following steps:

* Quit iTunes
* Backup your iTunes library (~/Music/iTunes under Mac OS X, \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\ under Windows XP and 2000 and \Users\username\Music\ under Windows Vista) to a separate location (can be on the same volume)
* Launch iTunes while holding down the option key under Mac OS X, or the Shift key under Windows and follow the steps to create a new library
* In iTunes, choose Import from the File menu
* Select the backed up iTunes music folder as a source folder
* Restore any deleted preferences