iPod froze during a song, won't turn off, controls unresponsive

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jvanwagner

I was out jogging today and brought my iPod, not for the first time; it froze in the middle of a song. This was an hour ago. I have tried turning it off, flipping the hold switch off and on, plugging it in to the radio, wall, car tuner, and my pc, and nothing happens. Nothing on the screen changes, and the backlight won't even turn off. It's frozen.

Should I let it sit and run out of batteries, or should I try something else?

Johnnybatters

That happend to my mini once. I was so sad that I had my credit card out ready to buy another one. It was worse than having your girlfriend leave you. Once I settled down I got a fix for it.

cpndv

mine's been doing this constantly. I do the menu+center reset, it reboots, I go to play a song and it freezes again. WTF. it does it over and over again. frustrating.

dulinski1

even worse

Allright, same problem, almost. The ipod froze, not responding to any controls, INCLUDING the manual suggested menu + center. I let the battery run out the first time, and then restored it to facetoy firmware, and updated it, but it did it again less than a week later. any suggewstions, or should I buy a new one?

BADGERBHOY

It sounds like the hard drive is failing.
I had the same problem and had to reset it everytime.
Eventually it will do it for more and more songs.
Can you hear the hard drive spinning when it freezes?

julianop

Website
www.barnlea.com
I suspect battery, not hard drive. I don't know how much the nano differs from the classic in the area of battery management - probably not a lot - but freezing followed by unresponsiveness is a typical symptom of weak battery, which can only be remedied by replacement.
The problem is more intense with classic iPods because the hard drive imposes a higher transient load on the battery, but the "root cause", as we say in engineering is really the inadequate power management circuirtry/code in the iPod rather than the batter itself. All rechargeable batteries wear out eventually, but I've yet to see or hear about a message on any iPod that says "my battery is getting old and weak, please replace it"!