iPod Color/Photo Firmware Upgrade ???

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

blue_maffu_202

Will we be getting a firmware upgrade now the the new iPod is out?

I would like the new features like on the nano (lyrics display is what i want the most)

Blackmane

A Dark Man In A Dark Cape
Probably not, the updater has been out a while, they wont do it beacuse the new ipod wont have all the new features only avalible to it.

mhoutman

iPod Photo software update coming ??

will the iPod photo get a software update so that it will have some features as the new iPod (Video) : worldclock, new games, password lock, etc /

TIA

bibby

@ mhoutman:

Just think about it for a while... it will never happen! And that's how it should be. It would be a suicide for Apple.

kornchild2002

I don't think Apple will add the iPod nano features to the 4G color/photo iPods. That is a reason why you purchase a iPod nano or 5G iPod. Apple will not release these features to the 4G color/photo iPods. There are some features that the 4G black and white iPod have that the 3G ones do not (such as pausing when the headphones are unplugged). The 3G iPods NEVER received these slight updates.

citric

Website
www.citricacid.tk
Re: iPod Photo software update coming ??

mhoutman said:
will the iPod photo get a software update so that it will have some features as the new iPod (Video) : worldclock, new games, password lock, etc /

TIA
Apple isn't stupid enough to lose that kind of money, but i could see apple doing a one-time charge for an update that would allow iPod Photos/Colors to have video play back and also the lyrics thing like the nano and the screen lock.

Dougfnj

Ipod, do you?
Hmmph

Thing that is bothering me about all of this is I have a $400 60 Gig Ipod Color that has some hiss in the music, older software, and if what is being said in this thread is correct...NOT Updatable. If this device was more then 6 months old...I'd say ok. It is 2 MONTHS old....just released, what money are they losing to me not doing an upgrade, who in their right minds would keep upgrading devices every 3 months for $400 a piece. At least give us an trade-in upgrade offer Apple, c'mon.

citric

Website
www.citricacid.tk
why would apple give away this complete new feature in their products for free to people who's iPod Color might've actually been received in the mail today, when they can make $300 or $400 for someone to upgrade to the new IPod?

mhoutman

sorry, I was not talking about retrofitting Video playback; they are the other features which I want to too: new games, pasword lock, world clock

blue_maffu_202

I just want the lyrics feature, i dunno if i want video now or not (i thought I did but now i'm thinking "when will i use it?") and honestly, I only got a new iPod in June, I don't know if its worth upgrading just for lyrics.

xsabrewulf

I agree. I think apple should do something.
I mean we are STILL their customer. We should STILL be supported by apple.

Giving us Lyrics feature they are not going to lose out. I think even giving us the video feature they aren't missing out because face it. People that own 4Gs are STILL gonna buy the new ipod because battery life, comes in black and thinner...

I still think Apple should support us, dont just throw us away because of a 5th G.

I believe Apple should do something considering they through the new photo ipod at us then 3 months later release a WHOLE new Generation. This is a bad thing on APPLES part.

cavemonkey50

Website
www.cavemonkey50.com
I"m think at least a minor update is coming for the 4th gen ipod (like the lyrics) because Apple has yet to release the updated for 5G devices. They almost always put the updater for a new ipod on their site the same day.

geekboy2000

xsabrewulf said:
I agree. I think apple should do something.
I mean we are STILL their customer. We should STILL be supported by apple.

Giving us Lyrics feature they are not going to lose out. I think even giving us the video feature they aren't missing out because face it. People that own 4Gs are STILL gonna buy the new ipod because battery life, comes in black and thinner...

I still think Apple should support us, dont just throw us away because of a 5th G.

I believe Apple should do something considering they through the new photo ipod at us then 3 months later release a WHOLE new Generation. This is a bad thing on APPLES part.
First, I'm not sure a firmware update could provide all of the features, but if it could provide any of them, I agree that in this case, Apple should try to accommodate the owners of previous generation iPods as much as possible. Normally, I'd understand the business reasons behind not doing so, IMO, Apple has already dealt owners of earlier iPods a bad hand by making many of the accessories unusable on the new model. They didn't have to do that, but they made the choice to do so. For first time iPod buyers, the 5G is a great deal. For folks contemplating a second or third iPod, or those considering replacing a dead iPod, I think they've been done a disservice. So, if Apple can do anything to throw previous generation iPod owners a bone, I think it would be in their best interest.

scoot241

They have done it in the past. I made a thread similar to this because I couldn't find one that was up yet.

The key item I remember them adding in the past to older models was the shuffle songs option to the main menu.

I would like to see these features on my photo.

jhansman

Maybe it's just me, but it seems completely logical that as new products come out, they have newer (and better) features. That is a techonology given. Why would Apple issue a firmware upgrade that brings a photo iPod up to speed with the Nano or 5G? Sure, that would make all of us who own Photos happy, but it would be a marketing shot in the foot for Apple. Frankly, I don't care that my 1 month old Photo iPod can't play videos or has fewer/different games or whatever. I bought it for the color display and more space, that's it. Count me happy.