Ipod Classic transfer back to Itunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

freddyuk

I have looked at all the alternatives and cannot get third party software to copy songs off Ipod to WIND10 PC. I managed to get into the Ipod control and accessed the songs. So I am busy copy and pasting the contents back into the Itunes library.
I do not see a way to open all the files and copy everything (I am opening each file and then copying one at a time).
I guess I will replace any missing songs with Ipod copies but I will end up with a whole bunch of duplicates unless Itunes sorts this out itself??

Is this correct?

cjmnews

Staff member
You really don't need 3rd party software. You can do it with any file explorer on Windows or Mac.

You have the hard part done, getting into the hidden iPod Control folder. I usually have to write a book helping non-techies how to do this.

What I do is search to see the list of all files at the iPod Control folder level to see all the songs in the sub-folders. *.mp3, *.m4a, *.m4b are the top 3 extensions that are found in an iPod.

Then I highlight the entire list and drag them from the search window and drop them into iTunes into the Music section in the top left. This ONLY works if iTunes has the "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" is enabled in the iTunes Edit->Preferences, Advanced window. If that option is unchecked the music will play until the iPod is disconnected, then it will be lost.

Your process is the slower way to do it. But will get the job done

iTunes should refuse to import a duplicate song and prevent them from happening. BUT if the song does not have the information (artist, album, track...) embedded in it (a lot of MP3 songs) then iTunes can't see that it is a duplicate. Then you will get a lot of Unknown Artist, Unknown Album tracks. These will need to be played, then updated manually.

iTunes can show you duplicates as well in File->Library->Show Duplicate Items. It is based on track name, and will show you non-duplicates as well as duplicates. It is particularly bad with Classical music. If you have the Date Added column up front you can see the ones added today quite easily and delete them, removing the song file as well. As a human I would be looking at several items to see if it is a real duplicate. Time, album, track number etc. More than just song name and artist.

freddyuk

That is very helpful. I need to check I have the settings correct before I go further. I do notice some very big files within the files I open and these are WAV I think so these need changing to something smaller. I originally copied all my tapes via RIPVYNIL which has long disappeared but it got the job done. These files do not have any digital info of course so I have to do this manually if I can be bothered. I was then using Yamipod to transfer content but this again had long gone I think. Having replaced the PC I noticed I was missing tracks off the Itunes which were still on the Ipod hence my task.
When I go into Ipod control the music files are there as a folder so not difficult to find!! I did not use the search .*mp3 search as the PC could not find anything that way.
Many thanks for the advice - great site this.

cjmnews

Staff member
WAV files are not common, so I let you bring it up if they are present.

WAV files do not have any information embedded as you realize, which is why people typically converted them to AIFF if uncompressed audio is desired or a compressed format.

The search is used because in newer iPods the files are distributed in sub-folders named F01, F02, and so forth. I see why it didn’t work, you need the * first before the . then followed with the extension (WAV, MP3, m4a). *.MP3 for example. Upper or lower case does not matter.

Odd the songs are not in sub-folders. I’ll check my oldest iPod tomorrow to see if it uses a single folder. Charging it up now.

Edit: Yes it has the Music folder and subfolders (F01-F49) with the tracks in it. And the search from within the Music folder worked well.

Last edited: