Ipod Classic overnight battery drain

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

stuntastic82

Hey guys,

I have had a 160GB iPod Classic for exactly a week now, and something happened this morning that hasn't happened before... When I woke up the battery was dead... It was fully charged last night before I went to sleep, and it was definately off. When I tried to turn it on this morning, it said 'Connect to power' on the screen. When I got to work, I plugged it in and it showed the battery was dead. How can this happen? I downloaded the 1.0.1 update this morning, so hopefully it wont happen again. If anyone knows what could have happened or if it has happened to anyone to else, I'm quite eager to listen. Cheers.

‹-cJr-›

.future bill gates.
Even if the topic starter did leave it playing overnight, it shouldn't drain it if he fully charged it, should it? Because the classics do have at least 30 hours battery life (and the 160GB models, even more).

That's a very peculiar issue, I've never had it, but let's hope the firmware update has fixed it.

kendrid

My battery hasn't been charged in five days and I still have 75%. It is definitely not normal for it to drain over night.

paranoidxe

9 Hours of use today, 9 hours of use yesterday, and 8 hours of use the day before.

The battery meter was a little over half when I was done with it, which is strange but I'm sure the gauge is just wrong..considering I'm supposed to be getting 40 hours of audio.

ariauk

First day I got mine it drained over night too, but I'm a light sleeper and heard a quiet continuous noise which i tracked to the ipod. Even though it was in sleep mode it hadnt shut off properly and I had to do a reset to get it shut down. I only heard it in the dead of night and you probably wouldn't notice it with any background noise, but it hasn't happened since. Hold it to your ear to check its definately off if it happens again.

pwil30

same thing happened to my 80 GB last night... i had actually JUST charged it before going to bed. I was listening to it, but i distinctly remember turning it fully off before going to sleep. When I woke up, it was completely dead.

And the funny thing is, I had just upgraded to the 1.0.2 software :S

And yeah, it shouldn't be dead, even if it was on the whole night (playing music), considering I had just charged it.

Frozen072

I can leave my 80gb on overnight and still have at lest 90% of my battery the next day.

Justin Horne

paranoidxe said:
9 Hours of use today, 9 hours of use yesterday, and 8 hours of use the day before.

The battery meter was a little over half when I was done with it, which is strange but I'm sure the gauge is just wrong..considering I'm supposed to be getting 40 hours of audio.
Amazingly, that doesn't sound outrageously high. I get repeatedly surprised by just how little I charge my Classic now.

ssuyk

This nearly happened to me too. I left the ipod on the full artist list (not paused on a song) and a couple of hours later I noticed that it's hard drive was spinning and that the battery had been depleted a lot.

hexonxonx

Mine did this the second night I was using it BUT I am almost 100% sure I left it playing overnight. It could very well discharge the battery depending on how low the battery was.

As far as battery usage, yes these things are amazing on how long they will last. Just listening to music I can get 3-4 days listening about 6-7 hours each day.

Maticek

Website
www.konzole-slovenija.com
Silly me, I started a new topic on this issue. I'm sorry.

So my experience is. Sometimes when I turn off the iPod I can clearly hear a strong and loud hissing sound in my earplugs (static). Which is not present when the iPod is on and also not present when it's completely off.

So yesterday I listened to some music before going to bed on my fully charged iPod 160gb. I remember turning it of and listening carefully for the hissing sounds, as I was afraid this could drain my battery. I made sure there were no souch sounds and went to bed, confident, that my iPod has fully turned off. Today morning, the shock. My battery drained. From almost full (it was fully charged before listening 20min to music) to 0%.

iPod firmware is 1.0.2 windows formated.

Does anyone have the issue with a mac formated iPod? I'm asking because I'm a mac user, but have my iPod formated in windows, so that I can use it with any computer.

elistan

It might be a bug ...

I just had the same thing happen to me twice. My Ipod classic 80GB was working fine before the 1.0.2 update.

After the update I left it on the table and am sure that i closed the ipod. When I grabbed it late in the night to listen to a song I was surprised that it is displaying the low battery icon.
It was charged at around 80% the last time I used it.

I charged it overnight and used it the next day ... after work when I got home and left the Ipod on the table again and sure that I closed the ipod again. When I was about to go to bed and decided to check my Ipod ... I was surprised that the battery again was drained but this time there was still a small amount of power on the bar (red status).

I then decided to reset the ipod and reload all my music. Using it now but will check again tonight if my batteries drains again.

__redruM

Maybe it has something to do with split screen mode. If it spends the whole night loading album artwork from the harddrive to display on the right side of the screen it will run the battery down. I've only had this happen once, but I usually just put my ipod on the charger overnight anyway. That's a good workaround atleast.

Mookster

I found my iPod drained this morning having fully charged it yesterday. However, I'm not certain that I didn't leave it playing and, as I'm using the light on at 30% when playing workaround for the screen-saver issue, I guess that could account for the drain.

Not panicking yet :)

eclipxe

Mine has done this twice - fully drain overnite...Looks like a bug Apple ;)

evolve

I came on here looking to see if anyone had the same problem with the battery draining overnight as me and here's a thread on it right near the top!

I think it must be a bug. I had my other iPod for years and I never mistakenly left it on overnight. I always make sure I turn it off. I've had the iPod over a week though and it only did it for the first time a couple of nights ago.