Ipod classic library corrupt

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

PantherBass

I have an iPod classic. Is formatted to Mac. Library is corrupt. Don't have the songs backed up. Can see the songs and play them on my pc with third party software. iPod says no music and won't play anything...How can I extract the files to a drive so I can format the drive?

cjmnews

Staff member
I assume you have iTunes or Music on your Mac.
Open iTunes/Music
Click on the iTunes/Music Menu (top bar)
Click on Preferences
Click on the Devices tab
Put a check mark next to Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically
Click OK.

This will stop iTunes from trying to update the iPod.
Now we need to see if you have unencrypted music (MP3, M4A) encrypted music (M4P) or Audiobooks (M4B) to rescue

Open Finder, create a folder where you can store the music temporarily (RescuedMusic)
Connect the iPod to your Mac
Open a second Finder
Click on your iPod
Click on the Folder iPod_Control
Search for *.mp3
Select all the MP3 files drag and drop to RescuedMusic folder, wait for the copy to finish.
Search for *.m4a
Select all the M4A files drag and drop to RescuedMusic folder, wait for the copy to finish.
Search for *.m4b
Select all the M4B files drag and drop to RescuedMusic folder, wait for the copy to finish.
Search for *.m4p
Select all the M4P files drag and drop to RescuedMusic folder, wait for the copy to finish.

If these searches found nothing, there is no music to rescue. The entire iPod may be corrupt, and the music was lost. This is the hazard of keeping it only on the iPod. The next steps assumes you found some music to rescue.

Close the second finder that has the iPod open.

Select all the files in the RescuedMusic folder, drag and drop onto the Music Library of iTunes/Music (top part of the left column) wait for the import to finish.
This will import all the tracks into iTunes/Music, renaming them from their 4 letter names to track names if they have that information in them.

Look at the music in the library. If you see tracks with Unknown Artist, Unknown Album, etc. you will need to listen to each of these to determine what they are, right click each one choose Get Song Info and enter the data for the song and click OK. (Slow and tedious) Do the same for audiobooks if you had any.

Create any playlists you lost in this process. No you can't rescue them.

Now we need to enable syncing
Click on the iTunes/Music Menu (top bar)
Click on Preferences
Click on the Devices tab
Remove the check mark next to Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically
Click OK.

If your iPod was set to automatically sync, then unplugging it and plugging it in will put the music back on it.

PantherBass

Thanks for the detailed help. I wasn't clear enough. I have windows, which I just identified as a pc. That's why I needed third party software to view and heat the files. I was able to recover them only moments ago and save them to an external drive. I didn't have them backed up because theu camevwitj the iPod, which I purchased and the previous owner had a Mac, thus the drive was formatted as such. Now I can wipe it clean, format it for windows and load the songs through iTunes.
Thanks again for your help.