Ipod Classic games don't transfer

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

otterlimits

Just replaced my beloved iPod Classic 160 GB; it downloaded the new iOs, synced and got all my music and podcasts just fine...but the dozen or so iPod games I had on my old one don't show up either on the iPod or in iTunes when the iPod is connected. There is still a folder in iTunes media with the games in it, but I can't make them transfer. Is there a way to get my games back on my new/old iPod?

cjmnews

Staff member
1. I would try connecting the iPod to your iTunes computer. Shrink iTunes to be on the left side of your screen.
2. Click on the iPod in iTunes (right most button on the button bar looks like an iPod). Make sure the left column is visible and you can see your iPod there.
3. Open the folder with the games in it with a file manager like Windows Explorer or Finder and put on the right side of your screen.
4. Select the games, and drag them from the file manager and drop them onto the iPod in iTunes in the left column.
5. Wait for copy to complete, eject iPod and look for the games.

Let me know how that goes.

WoodenBrain

Website
beam.to
cjmnews. great idea. I can't exactly confirm this works, because I have all the games I own installed already and don't want to lose them. Even tho I basically never play them, they're part of the "Classic".

But I can confirm that with iTunes 12.8 (MacOS 12.13.6), if you drop a <game>.igc file to that "On My Device" section, the whole box (Music/Movies/TV Shows/Podcasts/Audiobooks) is highlighted to receive the drop. So it appears likely that might work.

Also, on the classic, there is an invisible folder called "iPod_Control". Inside that there are 3 folders: "GameData_RW", "Games_RO", and "GameStats_WO". It seems "Games_RO" has the actual installations. May be advisable to make a local backup of that folder…

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
This should work, this is the same method to get custom ringtones onto you iPhone now that Tones have been removed from iTunes.