iPod Classic & Apple TV-Out Cables

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Germansuplex

I have noticed that several news articles/posts on the main page mention that Apple's new iPod Classic/nano are not compatible with the old composite cables. This is note entirely true: they do work when they are docked (at least in the iPod Classic's case). It appears as if the problem lies with the headphone jack of the classic: it is not capable of outputting video, at leas that we know of. You can hook your old composite cables to the universal dock and dock your iPod, and video-out should work fine.

Many articles on the site are extremely misleading and many readers may think they have to purchase the new cables for video-out features, when they may very well already own everything they need.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Actually, the reality is somewhere in the middle, and it's obviously somewhat better to err on the side of caution in this regard.

The only dock that presently supports the video-out feature is the Apple Universal Dock. Older iPod docks will not allow the feature to be enabled, and therefore will not output any video, even though they may have S-Video output and composite output options (with the cable). The problem is that you need the Apple Authentication chip to be in the device in order to enable the option, and that chip was a fifth-generation iPod feature, so any dock prior to the fifth-generation iPod will not support it.

Further, many of the other video-out based docking accessories do not provide any video-out support for the new models for the same reasons. This includes accessories by major manufacturers such as DLO, Griffin and Belkin -- they weren't built with the proper authentication chip at the time, so the "TV Out" option won't even turn on when connected to these devices.

So really, out of dozens of video output accessories that were built for the fifth-generation iPods, the only known existing device that the new models will presently work with is the Apple Universal Dock, which Apple is actually going to be discontinuing and replacing with a new model. Ironically, the iPod Hi-Fi also enables the video out option, despite the fact that there's no video output on the unit itself.

Last edited:

Galley

Website
www.galleytech.com
I was unable to get video out using my Apple Universal Dock and the new component cable. It seems to only work when attached directly to my iPod classic. :(

fritz637

IPOD Classic TV-OUT

My new classic lets me change the tv-out to ask or on but when I connect me new AV retractable cable as brought on ebay (view here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180170993839&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=008 ) it says connect tv accessory. The cable connects to the bottom of the ipod not the headphone socket and no i do not have a docking station. Most of the queries here are saying they can not change the ipod tv out settings, I actually can with no problems just cant display it onto my tv??? please help someone.

karajabola

I was not able to get the component AV cable to work with my ipod classic at all. picture is distorted. If i unplug certain ones I'll get a picture, but the color is wrong. No combination resulted in success. returning to get the composite cable instead :-(