Ipod Classic and Ubuntu

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Frozen072

I need to know the best Ubuntu compatible Itunes alternative. I'm tired of all the problems that I have with Vista and Itunes.

mach_zero

I'm only a casual user of Linux, but from what I understand gtkpod is the only thing out there that halfway supports the new iPods. Since Apple put a checksum in the database to restrict access by third party software getting full support may be a long time coming.

MOCKBA

Website
mediachest.sourceforge.net
I am a writer of iPod manager program which is running on Linux systems including Ubuntu. Personally I use Ubuntu. However I have no iPod classic around to check if my iPod manager supports it. So I'm soliciting for itunesdb file for testing.

Mavi77

jayko said:
Uninstall Ubuntu its nothing but trouble
Ubuntu is the only reason my PC is running and connects to the internet.
My WinXP reads my new drivers as corrupt but when I installed Ubuntu everything ran smoothly.
I would love it if my new iPod classic 160GB would work with my computer like my friends 5th gen iPod does.

dustigroove

jayko said:
Wow, what a helpful and well supported statement. I take it your computer skills rival your powers of analysis?

MOCKBA said:
Good link! I would personally suggest Floola as a nice cross-platform option. I have used it under Linux and Windows (actually it is simply a single executable under Windows, so I leave it on the iPod itself and can run it under any windows machine that I connect it to).

There are plenty of options as evident by the small selection shown on the above wiki page, good luck in your hunt!

splooshie

iPod vs. Creative
ubuntu is the shizzle, my brother has an xubuntu laptop. you can just install wine winehq.com
then just install itunes. it works fine. i belive it made the platinum program list for wineappdb, im not sure tho. i still prefer dreamlinux though =)

(not my desktop, just an example of a dm one)

Last edited:

Mavi77

mach_zero said:
I'm only a casual user of Linux, but from what I understand gtkpod is the only thing out there that halfway supports the new iPods. Since Apple put a checksum in the database to restrict access by third party software getting full support may be a long time coming.
Yes, unfortunately this only seems to be the case with the new 6th gen iPod classics & new 3rd gen iPod Nano.

szandor

jayko said:
lmao. if you're having trouble with ubuntu, i'd hate to think how you fare with windows. ubuntu is so easy a caveman could do it. that's right. a caveman. not one of those geico mofo's but an actual caveman. like one of those cro-magnon sonsa#####es from 30,000 years ago. i bet we could dig up someone to help you with your ubuntu issues though...