• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Ipod classic 3rd generation NEED TO REPLACE

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Berns

Hi,
My 10 yr old (?) Ipod got stolen. I have Itunes on my desktop with 2200 songs, lists, etc.
What's the cheapest or most practical way to replace the stolen one.
also, would a new one just 'sync' when I plug it into my desktop?
I am a (very) senior citizen and not too good with computers but loved my Ipod.
thanks in advance for helping,
Berns

cjmnews

Staff member
Pick up a 7th generation Nano if you want new. Or if you want cheaper then a used 5th generation Nano should be good for you.

Try to avoid the used Classics as they were discontinued and the prices are either too high or you are buying a broken one.

New is pricier, used may have short battery life, damage or be broken.

Berns

Thanks for the info. I looked at generation 5 and that looks fine.
Do I have to back up my M4a files and or re-import them?
Is there something to deauthorize? (I have never purchased anything from the Itune store, all music is from my CDs)
My generation 3 has two cables, one to charge up the ipod the other connected to my desktop to sync.
Will the new one come with new cables or do I use the same?
Sorry about all the questions.
And thank you!
Berns

cjmnews

Staff member
Sorry I was on mobile at the time, and I didn't answer all your other questions.

You should be able to plug the iPod into your iTunes and you can click on the iPod (Top row of icons, should be on the left side of the screen on the right end of it).
Then you can click on the Music section (Left Column, the musical note under the iPod) and put a check mark next to Sync Music (Middle of the window) and choose all Music (which you have room for) or Selected Music, where you can choose what playlists, artists, albums, and songs you want.
Then click Sync.

No need for backup and restore. You should be able to use the same iTunes (assuming it is fairly up to date). No need to deauthorize either.

The iPod will come with 1 cable that is used for both charge and sync. If you get the 5th generation Nano (has a touch wheel similar to the Classic) you can use the same syncing cable as your iPod Classic had, and save the one that came with the iPod for when that cable wears out and breaks.

You can buy AC to USB plugs fairly cheap, or get the expensive Apple ones. That will allow you to charge the iPod from the wall. If you don't get one of those, then it expects that you will charge by plugging it into your PC.

If you get the 7th generation nano, it has a different cable, you can't use the sync cable from the iPod Classic. The 7th generation is a touch screen device.

Berns

Wow, you are a fountain of knowledge indeed! This info really helps.
Thank you so much for taking the time and the detailed response.
At 74 I do get easily intimidated with all that technology.
Will now draw up my gameplan to implement so I can be back in Ipod heaven soon … all thanks to you.
Berns

Berns

ITUNES now stopped working

Hi,
I am embarrassed to post this long, but did want to show that I tried everything within my power to solve that problem.
Read it and wheep :(
I TUNES PROBLEMS NOV 6, 7 AND 8, 2015
Since our newly purchased generation 5 nano ipod did not sync properly with our Itunes software, we surmised that it might be due to our NEVER having updated Itunes software in 5 or 10 years.
Thus, decided to uninstall all ‘apple’ related software on my windows 7 desktop and to re-install fresh.
We downloaded (17 min) and then clicked on the .exe file to install. It went through the process but towards the end, after receiving CONGRATULATIONS for installing, the message was ITUNES DID NOT INSTALL CORRECTLY ERROR 7 WINDOWS ERROR 127
Also the meassage THE PROCEDURE ENTRY POINT CM TIME CONVERT SCALE COULD NOT BE LOCATED IN THE DYNAMIC LINK LIBRARY CORE MEDIA.DLL
I tried system restore to one day prior. I think it might have worked for a day.
Then message WINDOWS REQUIRES A DIGITALLY SIGNED DRIVER
I deleted, once again, all Itunes apple related programs from the control panel and downloaded again fresh, always using google chrome as before.
After installation this message ITUNES HELPER WAS NOST INSTALLED CORRECTLY PLEASE REINSTALL ITUNES and same ERRO 7 WINDOWS ERROR 127
I repeated the entire delete and reinstall again several times even using the ‘run as administrator’ option which appears on the rightclick
Then a message APPLE MOBILE DEVICE FAILED TO START. Since the only apple device I have is the generation 5 Ipod nano, I plugged that into a ubs port that had worked for charging before and would ask me to eject before I disconnect.
Kept getting the same message regardless if I chose IGNORE or any of the others. … and, after that CONGRATULATIONS, SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED … but after trying to open Itunes …. the same message again
ITUNES HELPER WAS NOST INSTALLED CORRECTLY PLEASE REINSTALL ITUNES and same ERRO 7 WINDOWS ERROR 127
I repeated the entire chain of steps several times but always with the SAME ending message, so no dice.
NEXT DAY Nov 8: I uninstalled and deleted all again and downloaded fresh this time using MS Explorer 9 and choosing to RUN RATHER THAN download and then run and install myself.
It did this and I clicked ‘yes’ to the various screens that said to install
Now again the same message APPLE MOBILE DEVICE FAILED TO START VERIFY THAT YOU HAVE SUFFICIENT PRIVILEGES TO START SYSTEM SERVICES
I chose IGNORE it then went through multiple screens, registrations, etc. and again I got the CONGRATULATIONS screen
I clicked FINISH and, sorry to say, received the same blasted message
ITUNES HELPER WAS NOST INSTALLED CORRECTLY PLEASE REINSTALL ITUNES and same ERRO 7 WINDOWS ERROR 127
Same message when I clicked on the desktop icon. I then, just for fun, righclicked on the icon and chose ‘restore previous versions’
It only came up with one, namely Aug 2014 – though I know that I have lots of other system restore points. I clicked OK
But, same result, showing above error message and would not open Itunes
Apologies for the length but what to do?
Many thanks in advance!
Berns

cjmnews

Staff member
You did go through a lot, and did many of the steps that we normally advise. Even covered lots of the Apple Stuff: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201668

When you uninstalled iTunes did you get (in this order):
iTunes
QuickTime
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support
Bonjour
Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later, 32 and 64 bit possibly)
iCloud

After you uninstalled, did you reboot?

Windows 7 should use the latest version of iTunes, 12.3.1.23

Be sure to delete any copies of iTunes you may have in your Downloads folder, before you download again.

If that fails, be sure to do all your windows updates, then uninstall, reinstall again.

Berns

Follow up

Thanks, have followed the order to uninstall you recommended.
Two caveats: I did NOT find ICloud, neither under I nor under A (publisher) so, did not uninstall.
Have not rebooted yet.
I do have an old file "IPOD UPDATER 2004-08-06 .. do I uninstall this one too and then reboot?
Also, where do I find the specific Itunes version to download iTunes, 12.3.1.23 ...?
Thank You,
Berns

Berns

Hi,
Have not been able to delete IPOD UPDATER 2004-08-06. Tried several times at the control panel. It lets me go ahead through the first few clicks, then, for a spit second a wizzard box comes up only to disappear .. with the result that the file is not deleted.
Should I just ignore and proceed with download of latest version of Itunes?
Thank you for your continued help.
Berns

Berns

Well, I went through the whole issue again twice. Still with the SAME error results, either ITUNES HELPER WAS NOT INSTALLED CORRECTLY, PLEASE REINSTALL ITUNES ERROR 7
Or, the second time: I d clicked on the file in the download folder, it gave me the option to ‘remove itunes’ and I did, then installed as usual going through the various screens but … same error pop up: ERROR 7 windows error 193
Meanwhile, I also found this online. What do you think? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204972
Thanks,
Berns

cjmnews

Staff member
That is an article I have not seen before. Yes. That should resolve the problem.

Let me know how it goes.

Berns

Yes, that worked as promised.
:)
So now I can play I tunes again on my computer.
Next I will work on syncing and playing my Nano.
We'll see how that goes.
Meanwhile, thanks again for your patience.
Berns

Berns

NANO: In my case I had to RESTORE my used Ipod first and then SYNC IT; the latter took about 30 min for 3000 songs for my 16GB Nano. Result: both Itunes and my newly acquired nano are OK and in sync now.
Many thanks to CJMNEWS for the help and good luck to everyone who reads this epistle should they have a similar problem.
Berns

cjmnews

Staff member
The restore is to be expected, that erases any association with a previous library and makes it yours.

Glad it all worked out.