iPod Classic 160GB Reboot loop BUT Disk Mode Works!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

djsven

I have searched the internets and have yet to find someone with the same problem as me.

I have an iPod Classic 160GB which is stuck in a reboot loop (apple logo appears for 10 seconds, then restarts again). This happened shortly after using it as a disk to transfer a file from a Linux machine to a PC. This is probably not the culprit though as I have done this many times.

The reboot loop continues and neither windows nor a mac will recognize the iPod until I put it into disk mode. When I do this, it functions perfectly. I can move files to/from the disk, add songs in iTunes and then play them from the iPod. I am able to restore the iPod but when it tries to complete the process it goes into the reboot loop.

So, in brief, I have tried:

1) Resetting the iPod (duh).
2) Restoring it using iTunes while in disk mode on a Mac and a PC.
3) same as above but manually choosing an older firmware version.
4) Manually formatting the drive using a Mac and a PC.

So perhaps there is something wrong with the iPod that is not hard drive-related or there is something wrong with the firmware partition. Needless to say, I'm baffled.

Answers such as "Send it back to Apple." or "You're screwed, it's a brick." will not be considered helpful unless they accompanied by an explanation.

Thanks in advance.

gk17

Welcome to iLounge.

So the restore process completes all the way right before it reboots constantly in a loop again? Try removing the firmware and downloading it again. Not sure exactly where this is on the Mac (need to look), but on Windows it should be in a folder called iTunes Software Updates (should be in C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\). Delete the firmware there and launch iTunes again. Click on Restore button and allow it to check for updates. It should download the latest firmware for your iPod Classic again.

arturecki

I have an iPod Classic 160GB which is stuck in a reboot loop (apple logo appears for 10 seconds, then restarts again). .
if you go with this ..you will loose everything

easy ...hold select (middle button ) and play (pause ) together
yours ipod will go in to disck mode (something like "V " will appear )
unistall itunes
install pogram Macdrive (connect ipod ,format ipod in Macdrive )
discconect ipod
hold select and menu button (apple will appear for few sec)
you shoud see in 'settings ' >0 kb free <
install itunes
itunes will restore yours ipod

djsven

I tried deleting the firmware and restoring. No luck.

I also tried using Macdrive, and it didn't work. Some bizarre error about "the parameter is incorrect." I don't think it's related to the ipod, but maybe.

I can get into diagnostic mode by pressing select and REV, but I can't force a disk scan by pressing MENU, SELECT, REV, and FFW.

Is there a program I can use to see the 3 partitions or scan the disk for errors? Gparted doesn't work because of sector size or something, and neither PartitionMagic nor PartitionWizard see the ipod, even though windows / linux see it perfectly.

gk17

You can try using the Windows checkdisk program to see if it finds any errors on the drive. Right click the iPod in My Computer and go to Properties. Go to the Tools tab and under Error Checking, click on Check Now.

cruz

Easy way

In the reboot loop, you can see 2 screens in the ipod before it gets rebooted: 1) the apple icon screen, 2) the "low battery" screen. I found (almost randomly) that (2) appears when you have first the ipod connected (with the battery empty) and after few reboots, you disconnect the ipod. Once you get the screen 2 (that lasts for just few seconds), you have to connect the ipod immediately; that makes the ipod to enter in a different screen (3) that is the "charging" screen. It breaks the loop. Hope it works for you also.

raptor7

Any Solution

I have the same issue in 2018... Getting into 2019
Did any one ever figure out a solution?

I actually swapped the HDD & tried 2 different SD cards but end result is the same,
dont get the menu on the ipod but iTunes recognizes the ipod as ipod even in disk mode. else im stuck in a boot loop.

Any help will be appreciated..