iPod Classic 160GB 6th Gen SD flash upgrade – Freezing Playback?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dethronedemperor

Hi all. I just revived my iPod Classic 6th Generation 160GB model with a Tarkin iFlash kit and a Sandisk 256GB Extreme Pro SDXC flash card. Installation was pretty easy and I was able to load it up immediately and it seemed to work, no problem. The first time I tried listening to music for a longer period of time while playing through a single album my iPod started freezing during playback about halfway through each album and I'd have to do a hard reset to get it to do anything. I tried restoring it via iTunes and loaded it back up again, but I'm still having the same issue both when playing a single album or when I've hit Shuffle All – at some point the playback just stops after 10 or so songs I have to do a hard reset to reboot and be able to play anything.

Has anyone done a flash upgrade and run into this problem? Any advice on how to fix this? Thank you!

Edit: Additional info that may be helpful – I'm using iTunes 12.8.2.3 on a Mac and my library is all in MP3 format.

Last edited by a moderator:

dethronedemperor

Also, I saw after the fact that I had ordered an SDXC card that size that the 6th gen Classic will only recognize up to 128GB from a flash drive, but that's not the case in my experience with my upgrade. iTunes shows the full 256GB storage capacity as does my iPod from the Settings > About screen from the main menu. It recognizes I have loaded 172GB of music onto it currently and shows a remaining 66GB free. Was thinking maybe it was an issue with the flash card size, but maybe not?

dethronedemperor

Also, I saw after the fact that I had ordered an SDXC card that size that the 6th gen Classic will only recognize up to 128GB from a flash drive, but that's not the case in my experience with my upgrade. iTunes shows the full 256GB storage capacity as does my iPod from the Settings > About screen from the main menu. It recognizes I have loaded 172GB of music onto it currently and shows a remaining 66GB free. Was thinking maybe it was an issue with the flash card size, but maybe not?
Scratch that, I'm 100% sure I have a 7th Generation model now as I have Genius features and the serial does not end in Y5N, YMU, YMV, or YMX. Mine ends in ZU. Would have updated my original post, but it doesn't seem that I'm able to do so.

cjmnews

Staff member
Technically there is no 7th Generation 160GB model. A lot of people refer to the 2008 1st revision of the 6th generation as 7th generation, but that is not really how Apple defines them.

For 160GB you have 2 choices:
late 2009 6th Generation 2nd revision (160GB)
2007 6th Generation (160GB)

Not a lot of people making hardware modifications here. You may try responding to some of the other threads (shoot for less than 1 year old) to see if these people are still around.

dethronedemperor

Technically there is no 7th Generation 160GB model. A lot of people refer to the 2008 1st revision of the 6th generation as 7th generation, but that is not really how Apple defines them.

For 160GB you have 2 choices:
late 2009 6th Generation 2nd revision (160GB)
2007 6th Generation (160GB)

Not a lot of people making hardware modifications here. You may try responding to some of the other threads (shoot for less than 1 year old) to see if these people are still around.
Thanks for the reply! Appreciate the links and advice.