iPod Classic 1.1.1 released

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

musichound

KAuss said:
So why would anyone update this from 1.0.3?

Is there anything that isn't a fix for 1.1 that is new here?
Yes.....

and the answer is.......

drumroll please.................

Movie Rentals! :p

Website
www.ilounge.com
Yes, support for movie rentals, and other features related to video playback and movie content, such as subtitles and alternate audio tracks, although these are not features you're likely to find in content outside of the iTunes Store.

musichound

I can't see how people can pay for movie rentals when for a little more they can purchase one to keep.

KAuss

Yeah I don't think I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon to get 1.1.1 for movie rental stuff...

I rip my own movies, and I don't think I'm ever going to pay for a 320x240 res movie...

But my question was answered, so much thanks!

crash613

hate to sound like a naysayer, but reading this makes me very glad that i upgraded my 60 GB 5 gen to a 80 GB 5.5 gen a few months back. the sutpid battery icon and lag would drive me nutz!

Plus the price of goodies for 5 gen ipods is falling like mad since they don't work in the classic.

i got a video player that my ipod plugs into and shows the video on a bigger screen, like a portable dvd player, for $50!!!!!!!!! that is crazy talk!! i love it!!

Mawdryn

Website
www.myspace.com
Didn't fix any of my main issues.

Did 1.1.1 actually fix anything but the hissing (which never bothered me)? I haven't noticed anything else being fixed. I still have 4 complaints about the Classic. In order of importance, they are:

1. Although I reported the problem to Apple almost 5 months ago, the Classic is still not compatible with my USA-SPEC PA12-TOY adapter for my truck. It works, but it never gives me back control of the iPod. All I get is the "connected" screen. I noticed that now 1.1.1 shows the artist and song info on the "connected" screen, which is nice, but it doesn't do much good when I can't control what is being played. Apple has rendered my $170 adapter to being no more functional than the $5 cord I used to use to connect my iPod to my car stereo. The adapter works perfectly with the Video 60. All I ask is the same functionality with the Classic. There is no excuse for this taking more than 5 months to fix. :mad:

2. The clicker. I love the clicker, but only on the iPod's own internal speaker. I HATE having it come through the headphones. When the classic came out, it the clicker was perfect. They broke it with 1.0.3. This should be a simple thing to fix since they had it right before and it's fine on the new Nano. Why is this taking so long? :(

3. Another really annoying one to me is how if your album art isn't square, it just displays the middle of it. The 5G showed non-square album art just fine. Why haven't they fixed this yet? :confused:

4. And finally, why after nearly 5 months, do we still not have little game icons for Tetris and Sudoku? I mean seriously, how hard can that one be? :rolleyes:

The only good thing I can say for 1.1.1 is that it doesn't appear to have broken anything new. Kind of sad... But I still love my iPod Classic. I just want to love it more.

Website
www.ilounge.com
musichound said:
I can't see how people can pay for movie rentals when for a little more they can purchase one to keep.
Well, that probably would apply in most cases, except that new releases are not just a "little more" -- the rental price for a new release would be $3.99 in SD or $4.99 in HD (available on the Apple TV only), whereas the purchase price for a new release is likely to be between $12.99 and $14.99.

More importantly, however, I suspect that we may never see certain movies available for purchase on the iTunes Store. The whole reason that Apple finally has all of these additional movie studios signed up is purely for the rental model. The existing content will still be offered for purchase, and the studios that had movies for sale before may continue to add new content, but I suspect all of the new studios are going to be in the rental-only space.

KAuss said:
I rip my own movies, and I don't think I'm ever going to pay for a 320x240 res movie...
Well, to be fair, the movies on the Apple Store are going to be 640x480 or thereabouts, depending upon aspect ratio. Content hasn't been 320x240 since September of 2006 when the v1.2 firmware was released to increase the iPod's output resolution to 640x480. At that same time, Apple updated pretty much all of their iTunes Store content to 640x480.

Some of the older widescreen content is still 640x352 (16:9) or 640x272 (2.35:1), but much of the newer content is now being encoded in anamorphic formats to take better advantage of the 480i/480p capabilities of the iPod, so we're ending up with resolutions like 854x480, which ends up being identical to the resolution of a DVD (720x480 stretched anamorphically to 854x480).

Germansuplex

The clicking is definitely a pain in the arse. I sometimes start playing an "On The Go" playlist, and while the music is playing aloud (usually at work on portable speakers), I like to add more tracks to the list. Having the constant clicking while I'm simultaneously playing a track is just a pain.

Not to mention, it's quite loud of the headphones. Really annoying.

porieux

What is the story with this 'volume at zero' people are claiming on the first page?
You want volume at zero, you hit pause, right?

I would rather not have the iPod be able to be in a state where it is playing
music but it is inaudible. Seriously, what is the point of that?

I always have the clicking off no matter what, IMO it is annoying.

Website
www.ilounge.com
I tend to agree.... I've never understood this specific complaint either, and I would certainly not classify it as a "bug" any more than any other feature that you don't particularly like.

easternbiker

i just updated my ipod the other week now i find this came out!!!!! ughhhhhhhhhh i need broadband it took me 5 tries before i finally got the update before ( not apples fault) stupid aol lol n 56 k oo well better find 6 hours of free time

xander158

jhollington said:
I tend to agree.... I've never understood this specific complaint either, and I would certainly not classify it as a "bug" any more than any other feature that you don't particularly like.
The problem is that even at zero the sound volume can still be too high at times.
having the ability to go down all the way to zero will allow grater control on the sound level.

mr_oo3

No problems for me so far, album art is quicker some of the time, the same pace others.

I never experienced the hiss but I hope the problem I had with skipping is gone.

christinee

Ergh. Upgraded my firmware last night. My click wheel seems to be very unresponsive. Takes it quite a while to come to life. Bah.

musichound

porieux said:
What is the story with this 'volume at zero' people are claiming on the first page?
You want volume at zero, you hit pause, right?

I would rather not have the iPod be able to be in a state where it is playing
music but it is inaudible. Seriously, what is the point of that?

I always have the clicking off no matter what, IMO it is annoying.
jhollington said:
I think the point that you're both missing is that some people like to be lulled to sleep (not me) by listening to music. At the current volume at 0, this is much too loud.

borntolose

christinee said:
Ergh. Upgraded my firmware last night. My click wheel seems to be very unresponsive. Takes it quite a while to come to life. Bah.
i hear ya. same thing.

but when it passes, its fast.
overall im really happy with the 1.1.1 update.

applesacks

PureSkills said:
No hiss & blazing fast
SAME HERE!!
i think its hilarious that some people downgraded, reformatted (or whatever the word is), and even went to the store for another one because of the hissing...and well because they couldnt wait a few weeks to get the new update. :shake: