iPod Classic 1.1.1 released

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

musichound

Just updated to 1.1.1. from 1.03. So far I'm loking it but didn't lsten to any music yet. What I especialy like so far is when the screen blanks out the damn battery doesn't appear. Instead the current playing song is still visible. I missed tis with my 5.5 80GB ipod. I didn't disconnect it from my computer yet so hopefully this will be maintained when running on battery power.

donkuok

Just upgraded the firmware from 1.1 to 1.1.1. So far no problem and no hiss sound anymore. Covert art a little bit faster. Click wheel responsive and zero volume remain the same.

Scratch2k

musichound said:
JWhat I especialy like so far is when the screen blanks out the damn battery doesn't appear. Instead the current playing song is still visible.
Wierd,when my screen dims it goes to clock+playing symbol + battery indicator as it always has..I wish there was some way to configure what it shows (I'd love a now playing screen).

I also wish the iPod was like the Zune where it resets the volume level to reasonably low when you unplug headphones. I listen to Podcasts in the car via an FM transmitter and have to have the volume maxed to hear it, when I plug in headphones later (and forget to turn the volume down) it blows my eyes out of their sockets!

zero hectic

Video playback bugs from 1.1 are still present after the 1.1.1 update.

Selecting an individual video from within the playlist will only play the selected track. Attempting to begin play by selecting the playlist itself and pressing "play" gives me a screen similar to the one you are seeing, showing a random track/artist/album (usually the last one you played) with track 1 of 0 and the time line reading 0:00-0:00. This is contrary to how it has worked in the past and as recently as firmware 1.0.3. Oddly enough, the one thing not affected by this is the Music Video playlist, which does seem to continue functioning correctly.

The tv out onscreen display no longer pops up when pressing play/ pause on a video already in progress. The OSD only shows up when beginning playback or when changing the volume.

Disappointing.

bigbabydaddy196

Chief Nanny-Boo-Boo
OK, just "updated." Not too sure about the menu lagging for me--it might be ever so slightly less responsive, but not laggy like w/ the 1st FW.

Seriously, though: it's time for Jobs to turn this whole FW thing over to the RockBox devs.

Agadoo

musichound said:
What I especialy like so far is when the screen blanks out the damn battery doesn't appear. Instead the current playing song is still visible. I missed tis with my 5.5 80GB ipod. I didn't disconnect it from my computer yet so hopefully this will be maintained when running on battery power.
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure you'll find this will only be the case when its connected to a power source.

stevehulse

Some people had reported an apparently reduced volume with 1.1. Has anyone noticed the same issue with 1.1.1 ?

vocrobot

I always thought 1.1 had a slightly louder volume than 1.0.3 and 1.1.1 seems to have kept that. Sleeping hiss has definitely gone because you can't hear that nasty thump when you unplug your earphones. Also Coverflow is definitely faster as is the loading of the album covers when you go to album list. And TV shows are still in the correct order. Excellent to have as I downgraded to 1.0.3 to get rid of the hiss of 1.1.

At last after three months I have a firmware that I am really happy with. Might not upgrade again just in case another bug is introduced with further releases.

PAUL

Unwinking Orb

Just updated to 1.1.1, and wondered if anyone else has noticed that the sound of the hard drive working is much more apparent? Is it just me? I'm not ruling out the possibility that I am going slowly mad......

Orb.

musichound

Scratch2k said:
Wierd,when my screen dims it goes to clock+playing symbol + battery indicator as it always has..I wish there was some way to configure what it shows (I'd love a now playing screen).

I also wish the iPod was like the Zune where it resets the volume level to reasonably low when you unplug headphones. I listen to Podcasts in the car via an FM transmitter and have to have the volume maxed to hear it, when I plug in headphones later (and forget to turn the volume down) it blows my eyes out of their sockets!
Unfortunately, the dreaded battery appears after a few minutes. I don't know why Apple can't get this part right. What good is a freaking battery indicator when a sustained now playing screen would be much more useful?

bigbabydaddy196

Chief Nanny-Boo-Boo
Unwinking Orb said:
Just updated to 1.1.1, and wondered if anyone else has noticed that the sound of the hard drive working is much more apparent? Is it just me? I'm not ruling out the possibility that I am going slowly mad......

Orb.
Then we are going mad together. MAybe I'm just becoming paranoid, though, expecting each new release to be even more craptacular than the last. I also noticed the menu lag is back, at least when I first turn it on. It's not a horrible wait, but noticeable.

And musichound is right. How hard can it be to have a "now playing" screen?

Seriously, if any Apple employees read this: give it up--you suck now. Let Rockbox take over. If this keeps up, the Classic will be my first and last (cr)Apple product.

Signal to Noise

5billion said:
The sound at volume mark zero is so it sets the minimum.
It was part of the original firmware.
:confused:

So you're saying this is intentional? That doesn't make sense. If the user turns the volume to 0 there should be absolutely no sound heard.

Doh! I forgot to update the classic's firmware last night. Will do tonight.

stevehulse

I think that in these discussions we need to identify the difference between 'bugs' and features we don't like.

The hiss, the ever-spinning hard drives, the lagging coverflow are bugs.

The screen saver screen is a design decision by Apple. I don't like it either, but that doesn't make it a bug. The fact that sound can still be heard at zero is probably a design decision too, on the basis that if you want zero sound you just hit pause. Why have no sound and a track still playing??

Jackal051988

Hi all,
After updating to the 1.1.1, my 160gig thinks it has no songs or videos when disconnected to the computer, as well as displaying 0k free. When I connect it to my computer everything is fine, all the songs and videos are displayed. I would just restore it and start from scratch but I have lots of songs from a computer back home that I cannot access. Anyone know of this problem or a problem similar?
Thanks, -Jackal

musichound

stevehulse said:
I think that in these discussions we need to identify the difference between 'bugs' and features we don't like.

The hiss, the ever-spinning hard drives, the lagging coverflow are bugs.

The screen saver screen is a design decision by Apple. I don't like it either, but that doesn't make it a bug. The fact that sound can still be heard at zero is probably a design decision too, on the basis that if you want zero sound you just hit pause. Why have no sound and a track still playing??
While the screen saver screen is definately not a bug, I don't think too many peopl like it and Apple needs to listen to their customers.

As for hearing the voluime at 0, this is a very important flaw. There are a lot of people who prefer to listen to their music when they sleep, and at the current volume is much too loud at point 0. The 5.5G didn't do this so neither should the Classic. There was another DAP that did this also, I believe by Samsing (Not sure) and this was corrected with a firmware release.

Last edited:

Fronzdan

Yeah, I agree, the 0 volume thing is a bug. The lowest setting can be too loud for listening in bed. If not absolute silence, then at least lower than it is. I do hope this gets fixed, but I'm still too happy about the dreaded hiss being fixed to complain much.

gcilley

update

I just updated my 80 gig. Menu lag is still there. My wheel is working much better now... it was a big laggy but is working great now. The hiss is also gone.

KAuss

So why would anyone update this from 1.0.3?

Is there anything that isn't a fix for 1.1 that is new here?

yope

Loaded 1.1.1, no problems so far.

Moving from Now Playing to Coverflow seems a tad faster.
When I played a full album using coverflow and then letting I pod sleep, I used to get static. That seems to be gone with the new release.

So far, I'm a happy camper :D