iPod appears empty after upgrade to 1.2.2

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
There appears to be a mild epidemic in the 1.2.2 update for the 5g/5.5g iPods that after the update after the iPod is disconnected the iPod will appear empty. Connecting back to iTunes, the contents can still be viewed, and the iPod does in fact appear full.

If this happens to you, it appears that upgrading all the way to 7.5 iTunes fixes the problem in most cases.

The actual cause of this issue is still not completely understood, as some users are reporting normal iPod use after such an upgrade with some earlier iTunes.

If this has happened to you. Please report what your OS is and what version of iTunes you used to upgrade to 1.2.2 was.

If you have the ability to upgrade to 7.5 I suggest you do so to fix this issue.

If you are windows 2000 user, you will be unable to upgrade to 7.5 I reccomend you find an iTunes 7.5 on another computer and update the iPod from there and then return to your precious computer and see if that might fix the issue. You may need to restore. Either turn on hidden folders to retrieve your music or use a program like copypod or ipodrip first.

I'm going to find some instructions to help people downgrade to 1.2.1 if they need to.

I'd like people who had this issue to post what OS and what iTunes they had when the upgraded to 1.2.2 to see if I can't find any connections to this.

Also like people to post who did NOT have this issue the same information.

pootietang919

thats the itunes i was using.
5g ipod, version was up to date (before 1.2.2)

EDIT: OS is Vista Business

Last edited:

proanim8r

Mildly Annoyed/Amused
In light of this problem and (at least) 3 reported incidents today of iTunes no longer offering the 1.2.2 updates, it may be that Apple has pulled this update back for tweaking.

xenawebgoddes

I updated the firmware and had the seemingly empty iPod afterwards last night.

I was using a Win XP, SP2, fully patched computer, and had iTunes 7.4.0.28

Not knowing this was an issue with the firmware, I did a factory restore and reloaded all my content, and the iPod still seemed empty.

I attempted to upgrade itunes from within the app, which was not successful, returning a string of errors.

I downloded 7.5 from the apple website . It went through the install routine a total of 10 times, would seem to complete it and then roll it back. On the 10th time, it successfully installed, required a reboot, then went through a lengthy configuration routine.

After that it opened as 7.5. I synced the ipod, and my content is once again available and plays from the ipod.

flig_chris

No go

Win2k
iTune 7.2.0.34
iPod 5th Gen firmware 1.2.2

No joy...found an old version of 7.3.1. Will install and report back.

dkmulford

Mine is totally blank. I'm using:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
iTunes 7.3.2.6

Yep, it was the upgrade to 1.2.2 that did it. Looks like we need to go back to 1.2.1.

Last edited:

flig_chris

flig_chris said:
Win2k
iTune 7.2.0.34
iPod 5th Gen firmware 1.2.2

No joy...found an old version of 7.3.2 [edited]. Will install and report back.
Installed 7.3.2 -- no luck.

Thanks Apple!

dstoffa

5g Video win-iPod, black; 1.2.2 Firmware (updated on a Win XP box w/ iTunes 7.4.3.1)

I have been able to add songs to the iPod, view / play contents of iPod (while connected and after disconnecting) on the following machines:
a.) Win XP SP2 Box (iTunes 7.4.3.1)
b.) Win 2000 Pro SP4 Box (iTunes 7.0.2.16)

It should be noted that I MANUALLY maintain the libraries on my iPod and associated PC libraries.

I'd recommend that, someone who has applied the firmware update AND did so with a Win 2K Box, restore their iPod, turn off all syncing, and manually load up their iPod with music, and see if syncing is what is broken. Since my iPod works as it did before, and the only thing that I do not do is sync between iPods and iTunes, this must be a variable.

If manually managing music solves the problem, then we have discovered a workable fix until A&&le can create a proper software fix.

So anyone care to give this a test and report their findings?

Cheers!
-Doug

VeryFrustrated

Same here 1.2.2 killed it

My OS stats & iTunes version identical to dkmulford in prior post - same issue after 1.2.2 - iPod appears empty. Tried accessing iPod Updater (in Programs) but selecting 2006-01-10 or anything earlier resulted in "Invalid iPod Service Version"

Tried restoring iPod to prior version three times from iTunes connection - download crashed three times saying "no network connection" when in fact broadband working fine. Received "unknown error -48"

Any new info on whether Apple will actually fix this or not would be very much appreciated.

Pretty sad when a company's own website is zero help and it's other users on forums like this who solve all the problems. So, thank you to those of you who know a h*** of a lot more than I ever will about this stuff and give your time to help the rest of us out.

Cyde40

Hi everyone.
I'm running W2k with iTunes ver. 7.3.2.6 and suffered through the same problem with update ver. 1.2.2. I tried connecting my iPod to an XP box but that didn't work for me. It allowed me to veiw my songs, but when I would try to play one of them, my iPod would shuffle through my list in numerical order until it found song #106, which it would start playing. I could play my movies without a problem though. I believe the easiest way to fix this issue it to roll back your iPods to firmware version 1.2.1. I was able to do this with this method which I found in another forum:

1. Open Explorer and go to C:/Documents and Settings/Your User Name/Application Data/Apple Computer/iTunes/iPod Software Updates
2. Now DELETE the entire iPod Software Updates folder (make sure the folder is completely removed).
3. Once you have deleted that folder, connect your iPod to the computer.
4. Start iTunes then select the RESTORE button.
5. You will be prompted by Apple to download the older 1.2.1 version of the iPod software back onto the iPod. Once you work your way through the prompts, the download process will start (it will also re-create a new iPod Software Updates folder and download the software to that folder).
6. iTunes will restore the factory settings and re-load 1.2.1 onto your iPod. It will also re-boot your iPod.
7. You will now notice on the Summary tab in iTunes that the Software Version says 1.2.1.
8. Once the Restore is complete, you can synch your iTunes libraries back to your iPod (depending on how many songs / libraries you have it could take a while – mine took about 10 minutes).
9. VIOLA! When the synch is complete you will have ALL of the music from iTunes back onto your iPod.

NOTE! Restore re-sets factory settings so you will lose everything on the iPod --but it's better than the alternative (an inoperable iPod).

I just finished doing this fix and my iPod is running perfectly. I have a 5th gen video.
I hope this helps!!

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
So far Doug has had the latest iTunes (before 7.5) and no problems....

Seems like Apple has pulled the update as quietly as they introduced it....

No telling what will end up happing in the end.

Thanks for the reports everyone.

pathfinder04

Win2K
iPod 5G/80 GB
iPod 1.2.2
iTunes 7.2.0

Songs disappeared after I "upgraded" [sic] from iPod 1.2.1 to 1.2.2.

Songs reappeared after I read this forum and upgraded my iTunes from 7.2 to 7.5. (Too bad I didn't read this *before* doing a 4 hour, 16,000 song iPod Restore).

Thanks studio and xena, and good luck to the rest of you.

"Remember kids, just say no to upgrades."

Last edited:

dstoffa

pathfinder04 said:
Win2K
iPod 5G/80 GB
iPod 1.2.2
iTunes 7.2.0

Songs disappeared after I "upgraded" [sic] from iPod 1.2.1 to 1.2.2.

Songs reappeared after I read this forum and upgraded my iTunes from 7.2 to 7.5. (Too bad I didn't read this *before* doing a 4 hour, 16,000 song iPod Restore).

Thanks studio and xena, and good luck to the rest of you.

"Remember kids, just say no to upgrades."
How did you get iTunes 7.5 to install on a Win 2K box?

-Doug

VeryFrustrated

May I add one more stupid question? I attached iPod to another computer w/iTunes 7.5 and XP, sync turned off (not my music) and after about 10 seconds iPod was back to normal. So, while I can at least use my iPod, if I re-connect it to my W2000 computer without sync turned on, will it continue to work, or will it go back to appearing like no music is there? I'm trying to get through the next week with a functioning device before further attempts at a permanent fix.

Thank you for the detailed instructions on rolling back to 1.2.1 - like that suggestion very much but don't want to try that until I know if hooking back up to the W2000 machine will mess me up again. Another suggestion was about turning sync off and doing a restore, but the restore bombed out completely last time I tried so want to avoid that for the moment.

At this point I'm a bit leery about connecting the iPod back to the W2000 computer at all until info comes out re: whether Apple will address the issue or leave it.

Thanks again everyone.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
VeryFrustrated.

Based on Doug's experience, if you keep it on manual management, I think you will hopefully keep a functioning iPod. Based on Doug's experience, he can even still add stuff through manual manage on his win2k box.

Good luck!

VeryFrustrated

Thank you very much. I think the "try a restore" of Doug's reply scared me off but I re-read what he said a few more times & it certainly makes sense.

To add humor to all this, my w2000 computer is a "belongs to my company but for my home use" machine. Just today I get an email asking me to bring it in next week so my IT guys can "do a long overdue upgrade to XP." This couldn't have happened a week ago?

Anyway, thanks again to everyone. Lesson learned: never, ever, ever click YES to an Apple upgrade before checking user forums :)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

tonycelticfc

5g video ipod(latest upgrade) WINXP/Itunes 7.5.0.20, same problems as above, NEVER auto-sync but since upgrade started doing this of it's own accord and deleting content (files were stillin playlists but were all empty. tried to add files back but ipod not allowing