iPod and my Carnival Cruise

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Choop

Website
home.attbi.com
I'm going on a cruise next week and was wondering if I should buy a surge protector for my iPod. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but is there already a surge protector inside that large white square where the outlet prongs come out of? I'm thinking there is not, but I can't find a definitive answer anywhere.

-- Also, this will be the first time I have traveled with my new 3g iPod (god I love it!). Are there any travel tips you guys could bestow upon me?

Thanks for the help,
-- Choop

theflyingbeagle

Hi,

I live in Hong KOng and travel all over Asia with my ipod. I have no problems. I did purchase the travel adaptor kit when I bought the ipod in the states. This helps a lot with the different plus you may find.

Apart from that, enjoy the travels

cheers,

Paul

bighairy

All round good egg
Most AC adapters can cope pretty well with surges without presenting extreme voltages to the attached device. I belive Firewire specs allow 8 to 20 volts.

Is there some known problem with the power supplies on cruise ships??

graeme

Choop

Website
home.attbi.com
No I don't think there is a problem with cruise ship power, I just would rather be safe that sorry. You really don't think I need to get a little surge protector for the plug? If not I'll take your advice, it would be less to carry....lol

-- thanks for the travela adaptor tip, I'll grab one next time I go overseas. Any other tips? How do you guys carry your pods when you travel? just in your pock or what?

Choop

Website
home.attbi.com
Travel tips please!!

-- btw, I know the manual says it's ok for the iPod to be "airport x-rayed" but I definately don't want to take that chance. Since I haven't flown since 9-11 what kind of extra security is there, and how should I go about not only not having my iPod x-rayed but also not handled by anyone but me. (I know I'm protective) How do you guys handle this?

wickerbill

There's no reason why it can't be x-rayed. If you try to protest it you're most likely going to get a lot of attention from people you don't want messing with you and you may not get where you want to go. The iPod is just a hard drive with some circuitry for the sound. Nothing an x-ray is going to mess up. Just make sure you put it in a bad and keep an eye on your baggage so nobody walks off with it.

Riceboi

Homeless Member
Well this summer i went to seattle, Las Vegas, LAX, ATL, frankfurt to visit friends/family/vacation, and i flew with my baby (the ipod of course). That means taht the iPod went into xray machines quiet a number of times...in OFF-Mode (just incase)....I travel pretty often...but there really isn't any important tip other than buyin adapters if you are overseas...i don't believe surge protectors or necessary (remember the lighter you travel the better)...You see the thing is...that recently (as you may already know) the us gov. has issued another warning of terrorist attacks. And airlines changed their policy about how people fly into the united states w/o visas (even if it is only a stop-n-go flight)...they were talking about how terrorists were focusing on items that could be carried on board such as small stereos and cameras...since they showed a camera that actually had a stun gun thing where the flash was (pretty nifty invention..not very nifty for a pleasant flight)....slick because you kno how cameras are usally passed from xrays due to their films....anywayz the chance of a weapon on a ipod is 0%(hopefully) but the TSA agents still have to do their job...nevertheless refusal could lead to only more suspicion....ANYWAYZ lol...MAIN POINT...over 5 flights back and forth....ipod OFF and go through xray machine all the time.....ipod still happy playing music....therefore owner very very happy :)

--EDIT--

BUT THEN................I DO REMEMBER that TSA Agents allow you to take out your laptops....most interesting...but anywayz my ipod is still whirling

Last edited:

Choop

Website
home.attbi.com
Ok, here's another question.... I just bought the Sonny Eggo headphones (MDR-D66SL) and am wondering how these will do going through the metal detector or x-ray machine at airports. I figure the metal detector might screw up the magnets inside the headphones, am I being paranoyed?

Infamouschitlin

the guys at the airport thought that my IRIVER mp3 player was a lighter! anything will pass, keep it in your pocket, and take it out for the inspection and run it thsough the radiation. if your worried about them getting screwed up, then take some different earphones. On the cruise keep it away from the shuffle board people and the edge of the boat.

bighairy

All round good egg
Modern X-ray machines at airports are pretty well incapable of damaging anything. The newer the machine the better, but even provincial US airports have had to get their act together in the last 2 years and instal modern equipment.

The only thing I would send through one is a radiation monitoring badge :)

wickerbill

Choop, stop being so paranoid about the x-ray machines at the airport. It won't damage your headphones or your ipod. Millions of people fly every day and haven't had problems so don't worry about it.