iPod 5G headphone ZIF connector

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

wormyrocks

Hey all,

I seem to have broken the audio-out capabilities of my iPod 5G.

After taking it apart to replace the battery, I realized that the brown ZIF clip, which holds the headphone/hold switch ribbon cable in place, had fallen out. I couldn't get it to go back into the ZIF port, and after about an hour of trying the clip disappeared, never to be seen again.

I've tried since then to get the ribbon cable back into the port without the little plastic clip, but I can never get the iPod to recognize either the audio or the hold switch. Manually holding the headphone/hold switch ribbon cable into the port on the logic board has no effect. I emailed several iPod repair services and they all told me that they would have to replace the entire board at a cost of over $100.

So, my question is: has anyone tackled this before? Is there any way to jury-rig my ribbon cable so it fits? Are there any iPod repairers that have some idea as to how to fix this problem? I don't really want to spend $100 to replace a 100% functional logic board that's missing a tiny piece of plastic, and it would be a terrible waste to throw away an iPod with a perfectly functional hard drive, OS, and screen.

Thanks!

Still_Waters_43

Well!, as you have no doubt figured out the pupose of that piece of plastic is to hold down the flex cable to the motherboard. So, first thing you need to do is to try harder to find that plastic thingymajib. I have been successful with these searchs by getting down on my knees and using a headlight (flashlight will do) and a good magnifying glass. Ignore any Sherlock Holmes sarcastic comments from the family :D

If your lucky enough to find it see if you can snap it back in (the magnifying glass is useful here again) . BTW this assumes you haven't broken it, and just pulled it out in frustration.

Personally I have never had much success trying to repair motherboard issues, but I'd give the above a try.

wormyrocks

Thanks for the advice.

Well, I don't think I can find the connector unfortunately. Is there anywhere that I could buy or make one?

Still_Waters_43

Since you already know how to take an iPod apart, the cheapest solution is probably to find a broken one on eBay (e.g. one with just a broken hard drive).

However, understand that this is risky because sometimes there are more issues with these iPods (i.e. than the seller admits too in the listing) :eek:

Another more costly solution would be to buy a motherboard.