Ipod 5 songs play and audio drops out

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

billdlv

I added some songs recently to my 60Gb 5th generation Ipod and some of the songs that were added would play and then the audio goes away completely. The Ipod is not frozen if I wait the next song will play. This was happening in my car which is connected with a control cable. I tried playing the song with the earphones and it does the same thing. The song audio goes away at the same point.

At the time I had the original hard drive in the Ipod and it was getting near the 60Gb limit, so I upgraded it with an Iflash SD card adapter and 128Gb card. The restore was successful and the songs that were stopping before did not so I thought the problem was solved.

Now I played other songs and it did the same thing. I checked the files on my computer and they play fine, also they play Ok on my phone. These songs were Ok before and were not added recently.

cjmnews

Staff member
This sounds like a sync issue. Does your iPod have a high drive letter (I,M,X) when connected to the PC? If not, it should. This will avoid conflicts with other drives, possibly causing sync issues where partial songs get synced.

Computer Management/Drive Management can set the drive letter. Try this, then remove the bad songs, then add them back on again to see if that fixes it.

cjmnews

Staff member
Sorry, was not aware of the Mac usage. Do you sync all the songs at once? Restated: If the iPod was empty do you put all the tracks on the iPod in one sync session?

If so, you may want to try and sync in smaller chunks using a Smart Playlist,
Rules (Playlist is Music, Limit to 5 GB selected by Artist)

Sync to the one playlist (not entire library)
If that seems successful, then increase the GB by 5 and sync, and repeat until all the tracks are on the iPod.
Then you can switch to sync entire library and since the songs are already on the device the sync should be instant.

In the old times when iPod Classics were popular we had to sync in small chunks to ensure all the tracks made it successfully.

billdlv

Sorry, was not aware of the Mac usage. Do you sync all the songs at once? Restated: If the iPod was empty do you put all the tracks on the iPod in one sync session?

If so, you may want to try and sync in smaller chunks using a Smart Playlist,
Rules (Playlist is Music, Limit to 5 GB selected by Artist)

Sync to the one playlist (not entire library)
If that seems successful, then increase the GB by 5 and sync, and repeat until all the tracks are on the iPod.
Then you can switch to sync entire library and since the songs are already on the device the sync should be instant.

In the old times when iPod Classics were popular we had to sync in small chunks to ensure all the tracks made it successfully.
Ok so I did a factory restore on the Ipod. I then did a sync of some of my playlists, including the ones with the problem songs. They are about 1Gb together. The same songs still have the problem

cjmnews

Staff member
That is odd, this implies that the source songs are corrupt on the Mac. But above you say you are able to play them through without issue in iTunes.

Can you play them with a non-iTunes player? Do they have issues?

Have you tried a different cable?

We could try pulling the songs back off of the iPod, and see if they were corrupted in the transfer, but I want to check the source with the above steps first.

billdlv

That is odd, this implies that the source songs are corrupt on the Mac. But above you say you are able to play them through without issue in iTunes.

Can you play them with a non-iTunes player? Do they have issues?

Have you tried a different cable?

We could try pulling the songs back off of the iPod, and see if they were corrupted in the transfer, but I want to check the source with the above steps first.
I can play the songs with other non-Itunes devices (mp3 player and my Android Phone).
I did try a different cable when I first started having problems.

When I first started having problems, I noticed because the most recent group of songs I transferred were the ones that had problems. These were new songs to my library. However the song that seems to repeat with the problems now was one I had before and did not have any issues.

The timeline is something like this.
Ipod with original hard drive close to capacity, add songs, problems with newly added songs and some old songs. This is why I replaced the HD because I figured the old songs were already on the Ipod and maybe the HD was starting to fail.
Replace HD with 128Gb SD card and restore
Newest songs to library do not have any problems, "Old" songs still have problems.
Restore Ipod again, and only transfer 1 Gb of content.
Newly added group of songs does not have any problem, but the "Old" songs do.

Could this be due to high bitrate mp3 files? I need to check but I think the songs I added were 320 kbs.

cjmnews

Staff member
There are some older posts saying 320 kbps is too high for iPod Classic to handle https://forums.ilounge.com/threads/ipod-choking-on-320-kbps-mp3-files.203143/

If you look at the LAME encoder presents, it called 320 kbps the insane option. People in the thread recommend lower settings, like V1 of V0 (extreme). If you want to use 320 kbps you may want to look at lossless formats instead of a lossy format (loses data through compression).

billdlv

There are some older posts saying 320 kbps is too high for iPod Classic to handle https://forums.ilounge.com/threads/ipod-choking-on-320-kbps-mp3-files.203143/

If you look at the LAME encoder presents, it called 320 kbps the insane option. People in the thread recommend lower settings, like V1 of V0 (extreme). If you want to use 320 kbps you may want to look at lossless formats instead of a lossy format (loses data through compression).
I still need to confirm the bitrate on the songs that I added and the one that is having problems. What I don't understand is that the older songs played Ok before. If they are that bitrate I might convert them and tray again.

I might also try going back to an earlier version of Itunes.

cjmnews

Staff member
Earlier versions of iTunes can be problematic unless you have a copy of your library from the older version. All changes made to the library since the upgrade will need to be applied again to get it up to the current library state.

Simply stated, usually old versions of iTunes can't load the library from a newer version of iTunes.

billdlv

Earlier versions of iTunes can be problematic unless you have a copy of your library from the older version. All changes made to the library since the upgrade will need to be applied again to get it up to the current library state.

Simply stated, usually old versions of iTunes can't load the library from a newer version of iTunes.
I spent about 3 more hours today trying to get somewhere with this. I appreciate your help thank you.

I confirmed that the problem song is a 320kbps file. I restored the Ipod again, and only added 1 playlist with this song. It still stops playing. I used VLC and made a lower bitrate copy, 192kbps. I transferred the song to to the Ipod. It stops at the same time as the higher bitrate version.

I tried other programs to manage music on the Ipod, but could not find any that would work. The closest I got was using Clementine which would recognize the Ipod but not allow any files to be copied to it. I checked the github page and someone reported this as a bug but the developers have not responded. It looks like the software is pretty old and they probably are not maintaining it.

The next option for my old ipod is probably the trash bin....

billdlv

I spent about 3 more hours today trying to get somewhere with this. I appreciate your help thank you.

I confirmed that the problem song is a 320kbps file. I restored the Ipod again, and only added 1 playlist with this song. It still stops playing. I used VLC and made a lower bitrate copy, 192kbps. I transferred the song to to the Ipod. It stops at the same time as the higher bitrate version.

I tried other programs to manage music on the Ipod, but could not find any that would work. The closest I got was using Clementine which would recognize the Ipod but not allow any files to be copied to it. I checked the github page and someone reported this as a bug but the developers have not responded. It looks like the software is pretty old and they probably are not maintaining it.

The next option for my old ipod is probably the trash bin....
Not so fast. I think I solved the problem. I missed in your post to try a lossless format. What I did was convert higher bitrate songs to 192kbps AAC. So far all the songs that had the problem seem to be working.