iPod 2.0 Updater

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

billysardar

Website
billysardar.tripod.com
I have just got a new iPod and have windows 98SE. It is being recognised as a drive but I need to convert it to FAT32. I have read posts about needing to install the software on a Win ME/2k/XP PC and copy the updater.exe file. I was wondering whether anyone has uploaded this file or is willing to transfer it to me cos none of my mates with later versions of windows are online and I need to get the iPod working!!!!

Last edited:

billysardar

Website
billysardar.tripod.com
One of my mates came online and I sent him the files from the F:\Program Files\Apple\iPodForWin folder on the CD to install... It didn't copy a Updater.exe file to his PC...

There is an Ipod Updater installer in F:\Program Files\Apple\iPodUpdater that will install to 98SE and does put Updater.exe on my hard-drive but when I run it it says that 'a device attached to the system is not running' which is because the iPod is formatted to mac... but how do you get it to windows.

Is there an option to format it back to mac in the updater.exe file?

billysardar

Website
billysardar.tripod.com
How *do* you convert a Mac-iPod to an Win-iPod under Windows 98SE?

I have read many posts about ppl converting miPod to wiPod with Win98SE and v.1.x of the iPod software but only one (by ibons) with v2 of the software and that is a dodgy way, IMHO (http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=773). It involved formatting the drive using Windows and then restoring it. Has anyone successfully converted miPod g3 to wIpod g3 in win98SE without formatting it in Windows manually?
I'd really appreciate some help here ;)

Last edited:

ipeddler

billysardar -

I just followed ibons steps and it works great! Plus it only took 5 minutes to do. I was worried about the updater.exe not working but it worked without a hitch and I now have my ipod formated for windows. Go ahead and do it because I really don't think there is any other way with windows 98se.

If you have access to a system with win me/2000/xp, then just do it that way. Remember to bring the ipod cd with you.

ashawley

Website
www.
It's very simple and safe to do it the way as has been outlined:

1. Right click the drive in My Computer, select Format, do a Quick Format

2. Copy the Updater.exe file from the CD to your computer and Run it.

Works like a charm and won't harm anything. Many of us have been doing this since the days when we all had MiPods (because that's all they made) and when they first came out w/a Windows firmware.

Adam