iPod 101 Tutorial Suggestions (?):

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jh-retired

Forum--

For those of you who do not know, I author the iPod 101 Tutorial series for the main iPodlounge.com site.

iPod 101 was intended to be a series for the "extreme" newbie to the iPod / iTunes. We have received a lot of positive feedback from such users in response to previous tutorial articles.

I am currently extremely busy with college, but I'd like to continue this series very soon. I'm looking for ideas for future articles... What would you-- the iTunes newbie or intermediate user-- like to learn in detail?

At present, we currently have tutorials on the following:
Importing CDs
Manual Playlists
Smart Playlists
Burning CDs

So--- How about it? Keep in mind that this is a beginner - intermediate iTunes/iPod series. Here are some suggestions for you to echo back, if you wish:

Using the 'other' iPod features -- Contacts, Calendar, etc.
Formats -- MP3 vs. AAC vs. WMA, and methods of converting between them
Using the Music Store
Various Methods of Syncing with the iPod
Tagging / Album Art
Sharing Music over your LAN
The iPod as a Hard Drive
.... ???

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mephistopheles

Website
www.dirtybible.com
One thing I'm interested in is an in depth explanation of all the menu options in iTunes. That's something I haven't been able to find documentation on at all, after intesive searching. I remember trying to figure it out myself and selecting "Convert Id3 tags" and then selecting some values blindly, only to find out that I cleared all of my mp3's of Id3 tags :/ .

Also, a good explanation of how iTunes stores and arranges files.

I know those aren't very important to new users, but they are things I haven't been able to find anywhere else.

iPotm

Mesmerized
Website
www.memphis-studios.com
I'd like to see a guide on the pros and cons of USB2 vs. Firewire. I have just a USB port, which I reckon should suffice once I get my pod, but I hear a lot of good stories on firewire.. but that'd mean I have to dish out even more money.

BTW I found the battery thread extremely helpful!

DJ3

Hi,

I'm also pretty new to the iPod. The iPod 101 articles have been very helpful.
How about an article on some of the common problems, and how to fix them?
I recently got the iTunes is not a recognized library file error. After checking the forums it seems to be relatively common problem.
It might prevent a few heart attacks if poeple knew that there was a fix for it.

Thanks

afxtwn

Website
www.squarefrog.co.uk
i'd love to see a tutorial on "Using the 'other' iPod features -- Contacts, Calendar, etc."

I currently only use the notes feature as i dont know how to use the other features with a pc.. Thanks!

vanoni

Tutorial suggestion

Would love to see a tutorial on formats and how to convert - specifically from wma

Thanks and great job

foxitup

azdude_15GB,
first off thanks for doing a great service to the ipod community by creating the tutorial. I do have some suggestions on how things can be a bit improved.

First off I find the site is a bit slow so perhaps rather then having the tips load on their own pages; perhaps do anchor tags on the page. Because ideally as a user you might just read the whole faq. So it should be easy to see the tips all on one page.

About the existing ipod content
I think you have some tips for older generation models mixed in with current generation models. Some of the tips are exactly relevant for 3rd gen ipods. It might be good to go through and add notes to the existing tips to clarify which pertains to which generation ipod.

As far as new content- I would love to see some tutorials on how to manage itunes on multiple computers. I have a ipod and I use it at work and home. Every time I goto work or home it tells me that itunes is not the default location for my ipod- and if I'd like to make it my default location and gut my ipod. Also how about some advanced ipod file transfering etc.

Keep up the good work!

Michael

kgirlsbug

Please included articles on switching from WMA to AAC. I have a Dell DJ, my daughter's second gen Ipod arrives tomorrow, and she would really like some of my music too.

Emma

Kiddo
I found the tutorial on 'smart playlists' really usefull as I had no idea what I was doing.
Cheers

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
I think the syncing the iPod is a very important one to get out there because many new users are confused by "auto sync" and some people who chose to manual sync are confused when there playlists and counts aren't "syncing" etc. This would be my vote for the next one that would be helpful to new users. Could be tied in to managing iTunes on multiple computers. Though this is something for more advanced users, many "newbies" want to do this all the time.

Great work Jerrod.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Mephistopheles said:
One thing I'm interested in is an in depth explanation of all the menu options in iTunes. That's something I haven't been able to find documentation on at all, after intesive searching. I remember trying to figure it out myself and selecting "Convert Id3 tags" and then selecting some values blindly, only to find out that I cleared all of my mp3's of Id3 tags :/ .

Also, a good explanation of how iTunes stores and arranges files.

I know those aren't very important to new users, but they are things I haven't been able to find anywhere else.
Although I am quite impressed the info provided by azdude, I would still recommend purchasing the Book, "Secrets of the iPod". On-line help is nice, but in my experience, nothing beats a book with you to help you out. This book also covers pretty much every question I have had about the iPod or the iTunes interface.

And azdude, GREAT job.....

UNOMav

I would like to see information on the different formats available with Ipod. For example, do some formats produce a better sound than others...how much quality do you lose with higher compression, etc.

Nuke666

Punk Lounger
I know this isn't exactly 101, but maybe in some later more advanced tutorials, we could have an in depth explanation of the iPod's diagnostic mode and what each of the strangely named features do

enjoilax

How to properly avoid the legion of Noob hunters. ;)

Actually i agree with Studogvetmed, we need to teach that

I think the syncing the iPod is a very important one to get out there because many new users are confused by "auto sync" and some people who chose to manual sync are confused when there playlists and counts aren't "syncing" etc. This would be my vote for the next one that would be helpful to new users. Could be tied in to managing iTunes on multiple computers. Though this is something for more advanced users, many "newbies" want to do this all the time.

Website
www.ilounge.com
I'm a new iPod user (just picked up an iPod Photo 40Gb about two weeks ago), and despite being a technologically savvy user, it did take some time and searching to figure out exactly what the "Sound Check" option on the iPod was supposed to do, as it's not clearly documented anywhere.

Perhaps an article on this and how it works between iTunes and the iPod. I've got it figured out now myself but searching around, but the first thing I looked for was an iPod 101 article... :)

Reubania

Don't Stop The Music
Website
www.myspace.com
I've enjoyed reading the 101...however, I have been unable to locate answers to my other questions:

1. Importing MP3 into iTunes

As I work in the music industry, I have a folder/drive dedicated to mp3 of my work and review purposes. This is over 20GB. Can I import this entired folder into iTunes without crashing it?

I've read that folders over 10GB will crash iTunes or cause it to "hang". Is there a way to import my drive/folder without causing the system to crash? Will "drag & drop" work?

Also by importing this folder, iTunes won't make another copy of my files, doubling up on HDD space?

2. Ripping CDs

I have plenty of CDs to rip. Question is, what is the suggested format to rip my CDs that retain the quality (high bitrate) but best compression? Once ripped directly in iTunes, it is stored (takes up HDD space).

However, as I have limited space and a huge CD collection, can I rip them, list them in my library, synch it to my iPod and then delete them from the library without deleting them on my iPod when I synch another time (is this where manually synching is employed?)

Also - is it better (effective) to rip CDs using iTunes, or another program? A friend told me that iTunes take far longer to rip CDs than importing mp3s.

3. Updating iTunes

Once I've established that my iTunes is working (from the installation CD). WHEN shall I update iTunes? Should I update iTunes after organising my library and synching it to my iPod? Or shall I update it after just organising my library, before connecting my iPod first?

I think that is all. IF the answers where already listed in the 101, I do apologise. I mus be blind! But answers to my questions here would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Reuben!

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Reubania said:

1. Importing MP3 into iTunes

As I work in the music industry, I have a folder/drive dedicated to mp3 of my work and review purposes. This is over 20GB. Can I import this entired folder into iTunes without crashing it?

I've read that folders over 10GB will crash iTunes or cause it to "hang". Is there a way to import my drive/folder without causing the system to crash? Will "drag & drop" work?

Also by importing this folder, iTunes won't make another copy of my files, doubling up on HDD space?

Some of this might be under the "importing from CD article" not sure. Yes you can. I would do it in bunches, though, instead of in one swoop. You can either drag files to the library or can use file-->Add to library, you can add folders or single files.

iTunes will make copies of the files if "Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library" is selected under the advanced preferences in iTunes. You can either deselect this if it is selected or just delete the originals after importing.

2. Ripping CDs

1. I have plenty of CDs to rip. Question is, what is the suggested format to rip my CDs that retain the quality (high bitrate) but best compression? Once ripped directly in iTunes, it is stored (takes up HDD space).

2. However, as I have limited space and a huge CD collection, can I rip them, list them in my library, synch it to my iPod and then delete them from the library without deleting them on my iPod when I synch another time (is this where manually synching is employed?)

3. Also - is it better (effective) to rip CDs using iTunes, or another program? A friend told me that iTunes take far longer to rip CDs than importing mp3s.

1. Format is dependent on what sounds best to you. Try multiple bitrates in both MP3 and AAC. In some cases people will say you can get a similar sounding file in 128 AAC that is 160 MP3. The 128 AAC will be smaller and sound similar. If you are going to rip at higher AAC compared to the same bitrate MP3 you aren't getting much difference and the same file size. Once ripped the files DO get saved on the hard drive. They have to be for iTunes to access them.

2. Check out iPod 201 article on synchronizing the iPod. Search about Manual Sync and Automatic sync. You can do what you suggest, but it takes extra work to manage an iPod on manual and deleting files from the hard drive. You also take the chance of losing music if you only keep it on the iPod, what happens if the iPod hard drive goes, you lost it, or it breaks. You have to spend a lot of time getting your music back from those CDs.

3. Personal preference. iTunes does a good job for average users. A lot of people like lame and alt presets, etc. which takes third party software or others to achieve.

3. Updating iTunes

Once I've established that my iTunes is working (from the installation CD). WHEN shall I update iTunes? Should I update iTunes after organising my library and synching it to my iPod? Or shall I update it after just organising my library, before connecting my iPod first?

Skip the old versions. Go to apple.com and download the most latest version of iTunes from the begining, 4.7

Good luck,
Stuart

andrew

Lounging On A La-Z-Boy
Website
binaryfour.cjb.net
Maybe we could have a tutorial (a 101 or 201) on tagging. IE: What are the best prog's, simplest ways, filenames, super-tagging.

Reubania

Don't Stop The Music
Website
www.myspace.com
That would be handy.

I think when I wrote "ID tag" - I actually meant the file structure of how iTunes organises my folders (or once I rip a CD). But I guess, it's just something I have to learn to love and get over. LOL. So petty.