iPhone5 battery replacement prep

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

PerranOak

Hi,
I need to get my iPhone5's battery replaced.
What procedure should I follow to delete private data from the phone before I let go of it?
Thank you.

cjmnews

Staff member
Back it up to iTunes.
Add a passcode that is not your birthday or any researchable value to it.
Hand it to the person and watch them do it.

If you are mailing it, then back it up to iTunes, then use Settings->General->Reset->Erase all content and settings on the phone and mail it in.

PerranOak

Thank you for replying cjmnews.
Yes, I forgot to say that I am taking it to an Apple Store and, I guess, they will not do it while I wait.

I see, so that will kill everything: apps, files and even my Apple login details?
BTW will this take care of "Find my iPhone" or should I turn this off first?

cjmnews

Staff member
I would trust the Apple Store to do the replacement without mucking with your stuff.

If you erase it yes. Everything will be gone, including Apple login and Find My iPhone.
Being the Apple Store, I would just back it up at home, put a passcode on it and don't tell them what it is.

PerranOak

Thank you.

So, they don't need the passcode in order to replace the battery?

How can they test that it works OK?

Sorry to be such a noob.

PS
It's not an Apple Store "proper" it's one of those franchises called StormFront. I guess they're alright?

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
They should be able to test it without the passcode. The main screen shows battery and they can test the drain without being logged in. Some places will let you hold the SIM card which should prevent access to any data.

Since you are going to an off-brand store, you'll need to take a careful look at the edges when they are done. Make sure the glass is squarely inside the frame without an edge sticking up. Backside too.

Then you should test it by using a battery draining app like Pokemon Go for 10-30 minutes and see if the battery is holding steady, and not dropping by 25%.

cjmnews

Staff member
Not that I am aware of, there are places that remove the card to ensure they have no access to your data.

cjmnews

Staff member
If you can find an Experimac near by they should be able to do it.