iPhone Xs Max loses cellular connection when I run

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Teechur

Website
www.teechur.com
I'm a runner, among other things, and I noticed that the last time I went out for a long run (13 miles) my new iPhone would not keep cellular connection. I got a message that there was no SIM card. I restarted at a pit stop and it came back up, but lost connection again at some point. This has happened five or six times. Obviously this is a safety issue for me as it leaves me without a way for my husband to track me on long runs, and I don't have a reasonable way to make an emergency phone call without restarting my phone and waiting for it to come back up. In the meantime, I'm eaten by a bear.

What I've done when it's happened:
  1. Restarted (works most of the time)
  2. Reset network settings (works sometimes)
  3. Put it into airplane mode and off airplane mode (works sometimes)
Obviously before I'm no longer under warranty I'm taking this guy into the Genius Bar, but just wondering if this is something anyone else has run into.

cjmnews

Staff member
This sounds like the SIM card is not seated properly and is bouncing in and out of the socket as you run. I would reseat the SIM card, try running or shaking the phone a bit to see if it loses connection. If it continues, try the Genius Bar, they may have another solution.

Teechur

Website
www.teechur.com
That's the interesting thing. It happened when I ran time before last, but not yesterday, and I can't recreate it by shaking my phone. Yesterday I only ran 2 miles, but the first time it happened I lost connection about 1/3 a mile from home (my husband happened to be tracking me and he said my dot stopped moving by a park near our house). I hope this isn't going to be one of those things where it only happens when Mercury is in retrograde and I run backwards while whistling Dixie, and because of that they won't fix or replace it, because I paid a lot for this phone!

cjmnews

Staff member
Running could be more jarring that your shaking. You could also check for dead spots by biking (smoother movement) to the same location to see if it drops.

reeker

Happened to me too. Their customer support said its not their issue, I should check for my network coverage

Teechur

Website
www.teechur.com
I took the phone in and they replaced it. Their diagnostics found something wrong with it. However it's still happening, but not as often. I think it's my SIM card. It's not network coverage as my iPhone 7 never had that problem on the same routes. At least now when it happens it isn't a permanent thing where I always have to restart the phone. I'll take into into AT&T to see if I can get a new SIM.

darielm

If my iPhone has no signal, I will just turn on the airplane mode and then turn it off.