iPhone unlocking question

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

decafjava

Hello all. I recently decided to "pay it forward" with my old (but still excellent condition) iPhone 4 since I upgraded to an iPhone 5 early this year. I gave it to the teenage son of a friend and former colleague of mine.

I asked my carrier about unlocking and they told me to make a request through a web form and that it would take three business days for the request to be processed by the carrier and Apple. I prepared the phone restoring it as new etc. then gave it to the kid who went back to Portugal (where he lives with his mother). I then received confirmation by email the unlock was approved-I didn't need to do anything except put a new sim card to confirm.

Problem is I recently heard a new sim card was tried but did not work. I believe I followed the correct procedure - and I was surprised it could be done online. I was wondering perhaps the issue is I made the request Friday and I gave the iPhone on Monday to the person who returned the same day to Portugal. Perhaps the unlock had not passed through and the device needed to be in Switzerland to receive the unlock signal? If that's how it works...really not sure. The other problem is my carrier does not offer any confirmation or support for this nor does Apple-it's up to me to check if the unlock worked.