iPhone or app that stops notifications or sound while driving?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ealvin

A while back I either changed a setting on my wife's iPhone, or used an app that stopped notifications so she wouldn't be distracted while driving. Today we used Waze there was no sound. Amazingly my wife recalled me performing this act but for the life of me I can't recall what I did?

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

cjmnews

Staff member
Settings->Do Not Disturb
Scroll down to Do Not Disturb While Driving and tap on Activate
Set to Manually and turn off Activate with Car Play.

Then you can turn on Do Not Disturb in Control Center (or not and never use this feature like me)

ealvin

Daisy, thanks for your reply. I checked my wife's phone (as well as mine), and neither of us has a Do Not Disturb while driving option. Am I overlooking something?

cjmnews

Staff member
There are a couple of items that it could be.

First I would look at the mute switch on the side of the phone.
Second I would look at the volume over Bluetooth, make sure it is not muted.
Third I would look at the Waze app to see if you one of a few things
  • Sound and Settings: Verify that Pause Spoken Audio is not enabled.
  • Sound and Settings: Verify the App Volume is not set to minimum.
Fourth I would uninstall and reinstall the Waze app to see if it is an install issue.
Last I would reboot the phone to see if that resolves it.

ealvin

Shame on me! I forgot the most important part of what should have been included in my initial post. When we got home I left the car and turned on Waze and did a new search. Viola! Waze had sound. I don't believe it's strictly a Waze issue.

I do recall a time before Waze ever existed that I somehow turned off texts, maybe calls, and perhaps other interruptions that could distract my wife while driving. It seems to me that it's either a iPhone setting or an app. i looked at my wife's apps and I didn't see anything there that looked like the source of the problem.

Could you tell me more about Do Not Disturb While Driving (that doesn't show up under my DND tab, but that sounds like a logical place for a solution)? I just reread your previous post. Are you saying that while in the car and driving, that I should go to the Settings > "Do Not Disturb," where I'll see a link for "Do Not Disturb?" While Driving?," then tap on Activate and Set to Manually? If so, I don't have Car Play. Does that change anything?

cjmnews

Staff member
The primary sound reducers are listed in my original response. Those 5 things are what I suspect could cause Waze to be silent. Based on this new information, you may have done what my parents did, they used the USB charger which connects the iPhone to the in car radio and they had the volume on the car radio very low or off.

Now onto Do Not Disturb While Driving.

Tap Settings->Do Not Disturb
You need to scroll down a bit to see Do Not Disturb While Driving (it is a small heading over a larger text saying Activate) it is located just under the Repeated Calls switch.

Tap Activate
There are 3 settings:
  1. Automatically (iPhone detects when it is moving over some speed and disables incoming text and other notifications)
  2. When Connected to Car Bluetooth (iPhone detects the car Bluetooth for phone calls or music streaming, and disables disables incoming text and other notifications)
  3. Manually (You need to open the Control Center and tap on Do Not Disturb to enable Do Not Disturb While Driving, or NOT turn this on in Control Center to allow all notifications and text)
If you had Car Play then you could turn that on, and that turns on Do Not Disturb While Driving when your Car Play car is connected to your phone. This assumes the driver is connected to Car Play, where the passenger is not so they get all their notifications.

I don't know if you want this on or off based on your messages. I recommend off as the passenger, on if the driver needs it to stop distractions.

ealvin

Thanks so much. I found the Do Not Disturb While Driving. Am I correct in assuming that by changing if to manual that will allow my Waze voice commands to be heard?

cjmnews

Staff member
Maybe. If that was the cause.

I am suspecting the USB charging issue I documented in the previous post.

ealvin

Thanks again. It was the Do Not Disturb While Driving. Well done.