iPhone 6 sync with Windows 7 - iTunes doesn't recognise iPhone and vice versa

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

chinle1

iPhone 6, iOS up to date

Windows 7 laptop.

iTunes - tried to update yesterday, told me some validation had failed and it wasn't possible to update

Today I tried to sync my phone. Nothing has changed since years, but suddenly the iTunes didn't recognise the phone - it told me the account connected to the info was connected to another account and asked I wanted to merge the info on the phone with what was on my computer / in my account, rather than them being the same thing??

Then, during the sync, when the Apps were syncing, it told me that the computer was no longer authorised for the account and I'd have to authorise this computer. Now apparently I have used 2 out of my 5 permissible computers???

What is this all about????? I haven't changed anything and suddenly the iPhone and iTunes don't recognise each other and I have all kinds of account and authorisation problems????

Please help!!!

cjmnews

Staff member
I am guessing that the failed update tweaked something and you lost your registration with the iTunes store. Either that you you were logged in with a different account than usual.

Now that you authorized your iTunes, you are back to normal right?

You may want to update iTunes to be sure that you get the latest stability updates.

chinle1

Thanks - I only have one account. And my issue is that this problem has "lost" me one of my five computer authorisations for no reason.

NB. I need to elaborate further on the first problem above: the account problem with the phone (where info has to be merged rather than just automatically updated) has been going on for months/years, it didn't just start yesterday.

cjmnews

Staff member
You can reset the count once per year after the 5 are used, or something like that.

If you are logged into the iTunes Store on both iTunes and the phone, then you should be able to sync without questions or hassles.

Is your hard drive full? The C drive, where it can't write any more to it? That is where the iPhone backups are written as well as configuration files to associate your phone to your iTunes.

Are you not running as administrator? There can be sync issues if you are not.

There are of course all the Apple suggestions to check as well: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204095

chinle1

Thanks - all seems correct according to your checklist: I am logged on in both iTunes and my phone. My hard drive is not full. I am an administrator. None of the Apple suggestions are relevant.

cjmnews

Staff member
The behavior seems odd. At this point I would recommend uninstalling all of iTunes, that includes Apple Mobile Device Service, Bonjour, iPod Helper, Quicktime, Apple Update Service, etc. Pretty much anything that is Apple.

Then reinstall iTunes and see if that resolves it.

If that does not, then log out of iTunes Store in your iTunes, then log in, and try again.

chinle1

Thanks, I'm just at my local iStore. They suggest:

1. for the sync between my phone and my laptop iTunes: either do a reinstall of the phone, or work with iCloud for my contacts and calendar items. (Reason probably a glitch inherited from my previous phones.)

2. for the recognition of my laptop: software glitch, but not a big deal - I can just deauthorise the old one. (I didn't know that you could always be flexible with which 5 devices you wanted to have at any one time.)

cjmnews

Staff member
1. Seems like an odd suggestion, but a Restore shouldn't hurt. I am on my 3rd iPhone with the same iTunes and accounts and have seen no such glitches. So I doubt their reasoning. But as stated a restore shouldn't hurt.

2. You can deauthorize it IF you have access to it in the mode that it thinks it is authorized. Otherwise you have to wait for the deauthorize all opportunity and reauthorize your current system.