iPhone 5s Update to iOS 12.x -

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

viper69

I have an old 5s no service, in its memory it has the old phone number. Saw the news that iPhone 5's needed to be updated due to that GPS/time issue, otherwise it was reported App Store access would not be possible.

I updated it- but in the process I need to give a new email address (tha's OK), but the iOS asked for a phone number so the account/new Apple ID (I think) could be verified.

I have a newer iPhone XsMax. I didn't want to give the 5s my current phone number- was afraid Apple might somehow associate my phone number with the old phone.

All I want the old phone for is to serve as my Sonos controller for some speakers, that way my current phone doesn't get its batter drained and/or needs to be constantly charging.

What are my options here, if any?

cjmnews

Staff member
I didn't get that prompt when I updated my 5s to 12.4.2 but it is already associated with my Apple ID and has no SIM card.
Also as a Sonos controller would the update even help anything?

I would try cancelling the current process of setting up the phone (may need to reboot?) and try again using your existing Apple ID to log in instead of creating a new Apple ID.

The only phone not updated I have is a 4s, I don't even know what OS it is on,. I could charge it and see later.

viper69

I didn't get that prompt when I updated my 5s to 12.4.2 but it is already associated with my Apple ID and has no SIM card.
Also as a Sonos controller would the update even help anything?

I would try cancelling the current process of setting up the phone (may need to reboot?) and try again using your existing Apple ID to log in instead of creating a new Apple ID.

The only phone not updated I have is a 4s, I don't even know what OS it is on,. I could charge it and see later.
I thought if 2 phones are associated with same Apple ID, then if my Max gets a text, my 5s would see the same info (only when connected to Wifi I take it, as I have no intention to adding it to my cellular service plan.

It's too late to abort, the process is complete, except for the authentication process.

Im turning on the phone. Below is what I see.

1. White Apple
  2. Enter Passcode screen
  3. Update Completed- Your iphone has updated successfully- There's big blue Continue button. No choice but to move forward CJ
  4. Data & Privacy window Big Blue Continue button
  5. Apple ID - Sign in with your Apple ID to use.
It's here where I thought I should use a different email address.
  1. Create New Apple ID- enter Birthdate
  2. Name - enter first/last name
  3. Email address- Use current email address OR get a free iCloud email address
After I enter the new email address (didn't try iCloud), the software will then prompt me to enter a phone number so it can send me a text to verify the account.

At a loss.

cjmnews

Staff member
That is the hazard of creating a new Apple ID. You need to verify it.

You could sign out of that ID and sign in with yours. Then turn off iMessage and iCloud on the 5s to prevent the duplicate messages and notifications. That is how my spare 5s is set up, I only use it with my iPhone X hotspot to play Pokémon Go.

Outside of that, seeing if there is an alternate way to verify your account like through email. There isn’t a button for no phone? Or use email? No trusted devices?